MIGHT buy another

timothy

MIGHT buy another

Post by timothy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:33 pm

So I already have one freestyle and a five hundred ran into my girls aunt and she wants to part ways with her newer freestyle(2007)

so ive returned to the hive mind... her car has some weird stuff going on.. when you drive it. it will after warming up fully randomly go into limp mode throw the wrench and doesn't display anything on the dash like mine did when I rebuilt the transmission. she claims to have a full flush with the right fluid(because he looked it up and re-quoted her). however something I notice is when it goes into limp mode it turns off backup assist(the light is on). however I will say I did look at the fluid and the color did seem off however I haven't the clue if he used motorcraft or what. lemmi know what you guys think. thanks

jas88

Re: MIGHT buy another

Post by jas88 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:58 am

You do not flush the CVT. There's your problem right there. CVT is toast.

Good candidate for a 6-speed swap if you can get it cheap.

Be aware the 2007 ECU is different from 2005-06 so if you want all the warning lights on the dash to go out after the swap, make sure the donor car is a 2007.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

timothy

Post by timothy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:21 am

perhaps.. perhaps not... lets be honest the car owner at first tried telling me that if the a/c is on that it can cause the wrench to blow. wut?

and what concludes you to say its toast?

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:21 am

Search this forum for "CVT flush" and you'll see why a flush is the absolute worst thing you can do to a CVT.

Scan for trouble codes to see where the PCM thinks the problems are.

Splicer

Post by Splicer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:54 pm

NEVER "flush" a CVT!!! Also be aware that yes, the a/c can most certainly trip the wrench light. Most anything is possible with electronics today. The biggest mistake you can make when diagnosing a vehicle issue is to 'ass'ume that something couldn't possible be the source without checking into it first. She may sound crazy but I'll wager she's absolutely correct. It is her car and she does know it more intimately than you at this point. Just my opinion. ;)
2007 Freestyle Limited FWD 287,000+ miles 8)
2004 Escape XLT FWD 211,000+ :)
2006 Escape Hybrid AWD 116,000+ :mrgreen:

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:46 pm

You might want to clarify also whether it was hooked up to a transmission flush machine or if they actually did a drain and refill. There is a *big* difference in the outcome, the procedure counts. If you're lucky, they are using the word "flush" in the generic sense (i.e. fluid change is a flush), but it didn't actually get flushed. A long shot though...

timothy

Post by timothy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:51 am

To clarify... She more in likely didn't have it flushed just changed...

There isn't in long standing codes...

This was doing the same thing before the change in fluid which is why I'm leaning away from that completely. She been driving it for almost a year after is doing the same thing that it was before she did it... So there was no change.