Unibody faling at hitch attachment

baf20prz

Unibody faling at hitch attachment

Post by baf20prz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:46 am

Our 2008 TX SEL FWD (145k) is done as a tow vehicle. Passenger side unibody has broken spot welds and/or sufficient rust that makes it unsafe. Took popup (#1850 + bikes and gear) out this weekend and noticed intermittent squeaking from rear passenger side at 20-50 MPH. Tried to duplicate at standstill by using body weight to flex coupling in parking lot - no sound evident. Continued trip and sound worsened on way home especially over poor road surface. Closer inspection shows rust cracking and a spot with fresh rust dust where a spot weld broke. Pushing on hitch from beneath in the right spot I could get the noise to reproduce. First attached picture is from the side looking out toward quarter panel. Second is bottom looking up with arrow pointing to squeaking joint (and rear of vehicle).

At this point I don't see fixing this as reasonable. We've been looking at Flex as replacement prior to this discovery and I guess it's time to pull that trigger. I think the Ecoboost on the Flex could really help the towing performance as well.
Attachments
IMG_5208.JPG
Break at spot weld and separation.
IMG_5208.JPG (77.9 KiB) Viewed 175 times
IMG_5209.JPG
Rust crack and spot weld fail.
IMG_5209.JPG (408.26 KiB) Viewed 175 times

mmsstar

Re: Unibody faling at hitch attachment

Post by mmsstar » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:08 pm

Come on over to the Flex Forum & check things out.
https://www.fordflex.net/forums/
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex