2005 freestyle steering problems

eddiek67

2005 freestyle steering problems

Postby eddiek67 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:29 am

My 2005 freestyle awd steering locked up on left turns and tight on right turns. Mechanic said bad pump changed pump and pulley still same then he said rack but changed his mind and replaced the shaft also he flushed all the old fluid and replaced with fresh still same now he thinks it's the high pressure line I think he's fishing. Could it actually be the rack I think it is. It works ok while the car is up on lift but when on the ground you can't turn left.

Webmaster
Site Admin

Re: steering problems

Postby Webmaster » Tue May 16, 2017 7:37 am

Find a new mechanic who doesn't guess at what's wrong!

DanfromSterling

Re: steering problems

Postby DanfromSterling » Tue May 16, 2017 8:39 am

Steering shaft u joint tends to seize... Sounds like u got this covered... Screen or filter in reservoir this sometimes builds up with crud causes steering to tighten up may want to check this due to limited flow. Sounds like need new or used rack most likely. I replaced mine with used one from junk yard $50 part at 60k. Had slow leak since 37k then boot filled with fluid so had to replace lucky boot filling took place in driveway.

I would try to talk mechanic into installing rack with no labor... Sounds like he got labor for installing a pump that was not needing replaced.

Good Luck...

eddiek67

steering problems

Postby eddiek67 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:43 am

Is there a power steering fluid valve or pressure valve and its location on a 2005 ford freestyle awd

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions - How-To”