Engine overheating no heat

Dallasboycows

Engine overheating no heat

Post by Dallasboycows » Wed May 10, 2017 4:40 pm

Ok, so my wife had a leak somewhere and bought bars stopleak and now the engine overheats when driving and has no heat. Thermostat replaced, system burped.

Is the radiator clogged? How would I test. The upper hose seems hot and lower cold. Again this started after using stopleak. Like the very next few days. If clogged, can it be unclogged and is it possible anything else is clogged too.

FordTaurus

Re: Engine overheating no heat

Post by FordTaurus » Wed May 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Never use stop leak products, they mess up the radiator. Find a trusting tech to fix on sign of leak.

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Wed May 10, 2017 6:21 pm

FordTaurus wrote:Never use stop leak products, they mess up the radiator...
And the heater core. And small internal engine cooling passages. IMHO stop leak quick products should be illegal to sell or use ;-)

jas88

Post by jas88 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:27 am

Yep, she's plugged up. You gotta get it all flushed out now and then address the leak.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

pmassey31545

Post by pmassey31545 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:18 am

It can be unclogged...if that is the issue.
1. Where was it leaking from? This could be critical. If the water pump was leaking and has crapped out, you aren't circulating properly. This could cause overheating AND lack of heat in the cabin.
2. DId it run hot before?
3. Are you sure you didn't put the thermostat in backwards? Yes, it's happened before.
4. Are you positive you burped it good? Run it and let it get good and warm with the cap off. I had to turn my AC wide open and let my F150 idle for 15 minutes or so before all the air was out.
5. Have you tried removing the thermostat to see if that helps? Does it still run hot if removed? This will give you a free flowing system (no thermo) and should keep your engine cool if water is circulating as it should. (Remember 1?-The water pump)
6. If you must use stop leak use an ALL FLUID stop leak. The stuff with flakes in it is what can mess you up. I prefer Blue Devil products (No, I am not a rep for Blue Devil-just had very good results with their products).

And please...if you answer, answer each question as thoroughly as possible. Use the numbering system I used. It will help people help you diagnose better.
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry

Dallasboycows

Post by Dallasboycows » Mon May 15, 2017 7:58 am

1. We could never find the leak. I never tore anything apart to find it. I looked from both above and below and never found it. We did do a pressure test up to 15 psi and it held fine. So I'm not sure. But it was burning through coolant. Car was bought used and the water pump appears brand new. Thermostat on backwards? I read this over and over but it only goes on one way we even tested that and tore it off once after someone mentioned this.

2. No it was not overheating she said. just using coolant. a jug a month. started overheating when she used the copper stop leak and heater quit when we replaced the thermostat.

3. I watched a video exact same make and model. seems good. its possible the o ring wasn't on good? its hard to see. but I thought I got it on good.

4. We have burped it so many times. Good. we even had a shop burp it so I would assume so. I opened burp valve and poured in coolant till water overflowed and no more bubbles from the burp point. Then we put burp cap on, and removed the overflow cap filled it up and ran the engine so many times I lose count. seems as if coolant bubbles out but never gets sucked down.

5. Nope but I can.

Dallasboycows

Post by Dallasboycows » Mon May 15, 2017 8:52 am

Ok one more thing. l just opened petcock and water seems to flow very freely from top to bottom of radiator.

Dallasboycows

Post by Dallasboycows » Mon May 15, 2017 9:46 am

no heat, and hose coming out bottom of the thermostat is cold. Not sure if that is normal. the two top hoses are hot.

Dallasboycows

Post by Dallasboycows » Mon May 15, 2017 12:08 pm

pulled thermostat it all works, heat and all. put it back and no heat again and no circulation. so confused. we tested in boiling water. put in just like this

I can hear gurgling around the thermostat like it either has air or having a hard time getting water through

Dallasboycows

Post by Dallasboycows » Mon May 15, 2017 2:57 pm

OK SO I GOT IT. We removed and redid the thermostat and made sure gasket was in good. Got some heat and then cold then heat then cold. Tried drilling 2 holes in the thermostat and put the thermostat back in and its working. Have to flush now and hope it still works after bleeding.

Dallasboycows

Post by Dallasboycows » Tue May 16, 2017 4:50 pm

and back to no heat. well intermittently we get heat. when we turn car off it makes all kinds of sound by thermostat housing??? its brand new and came in the housing assembly.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:53 am

Does you car have rear a/c & heat?
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

Dallasboycows

still overheating

Post by Dallasboycows » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:11 pm

I took the radiator off and water flows clear as can be fast as can be. entire radiator hot when i poured boiling water with it laid flat. thermostat replace 3 times. i haven't flush heater from the firewall but did run water in from the hoses that hook up to thermostat and it seemed fine.

filled with a vacuum filler. car WILL NOT overheat in driveway all the hoses are hot. heater lukewarm. definately not hot. AS SOON as you put the radiator cap on the radiator goes cold and heater completely cold.

How do i proceed. Pressure test of the system showed no leaks. No symptoms of a blown gasket. no smoke, steam, bubbles from the radiator.

AND what size is the ID of the inlet heater hose so i can buy some hose and flush it?

Dallasboycows

Post by Dallasboycows » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:55 pm

for all those interested, i tore off the water pump and it was a cheap piece of crap from china that didn't bolt into the camshaft. the tab the slide in was shredded. Replaced the pump and it works great. If anyone needs help ever, let me know. I have the full chilton manual. Now I have a no crank no start a week later :(

pmassey31545

Post by pmassey31545 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:20 am

Dallasboycows wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:55 pm
for all those interested, i tore off the water pump and it was a cheap piece of crap from china that didn't bolt into the camshaft. the tab the slide in was shredded. Replaced the pump and it works great. If anyone needs help ever, let me know. I have the full chilton manual. Now I have a no crank no start a week later :(
Sweet. Sorry for not keeping up better with this thread. Makes sense it was the water pump though. The only thing giving you any water movement was just 'natural circulation' (heat rising). Which would explain the gurgling sounds.

This is what's going on with my F150 I think, but I don't want to tear into it yet. Ugh! I know it's coming though.
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry