Failsafe Engine Mode, Please help!!

Bparsons

Failsafe Engine Mode, Please help!!

Post by Bparsons » Fri May 05, 2017 9:39 pm

Hello all, I have a 2005 Freestyle that has been giving me a very hard time. I bought it from a friend with the following symptoms.

The car would not go faster than 5-10 mph, engine was being limited by the computer, it also would not rev past 2500rpm. I eventually figured out almost all of the catalytic converters were TOTALLY clogged, I was able to find 2 of them cheap but the back one I just pounded it out and put back in. Turn on the car and it seems OK! I drive it up the street and the car is accelerating just fine, a few hundred feet down the road " Failsafe Engine Mode" with the orange wrench illuminate on the dash.

Now I do a live data feed with the car running and eventually realize the EGR valve is not showing any data. Turns out to be shot. The clogged cats caused a reverse flow of VERY hot air coming back up the EGR and blasting the intake manifold. Thankfully there wasn't a hole THROUGH the intake manifold as I read this happens sometimes with this particular issue on Freestyles. Although, when I removed the intake manifold there was damage on the inside from the hot air blasting, just not penetrating through the hard plastic shell . I replaced the EGR, Still get a engine failsafe mode!! But at least its now reading on the live data stream, Right?

Ok thanks for hanging in there for me, last part of the story. I read the throttle body on these freestyles are very faulty and are known to have many issues. This whole time I hadn't gotten any codes from the car, just the failsafe engine mode that was coming on after driving up the street. I drove the car 5-8 miles to get a "trip" in and finally got some codes to show, P2104 ( throttle actuator control, system forced idle) & P2112 Throttle actuator control, system stuck closed). So I cave in and order a used throttle body. I got it on Ebay from a reputable seller who offers a 90 day warranty ( so I'm hoping the part actually works). Same serial number and everything. I just put the Ebay ETB in to the freestyle with a new gasket, drive up my road and sure enough I see my old friend Failsafe Engine Mode with the Wrench.

Does anyone have any ideas here?? Anything you got would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much.

jas88

Re: Failsafe Engine Mode, Please help!!

Post by jas88 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:21 am

Did you clean the new TB before putting it in? Did you disconnect the battery while you were installing it?
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

Bparsons

Post by Bparsons » Sun May 07, 2017 8:30 pm

jas88 wrote:Did you clean the new TB before putting it in? Did you disconnect the battery while you were installing it?
Yes to both. I cleaned the throttle body with TB cleaner and a brush, being very sure to not touch or move the butterfly. Even cleaned both the connection terminals :(

jas88

Post by jas88 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:59 am

If you did not move the butterfly valve, then it might not be clean where it makes contact with the bore, and so still sticking, perhaps? I don't understand what the big deal is with moving the butterfly valve, I always do when I clean one (just did one yesterday) and have not had a problem.

Brooklyn_Freestyle

Post by Brooklyn_Freestyle » Mon May 08, 2017 12:30 pm

I've noticed in my own TB that a lot of the buildup is in that butterfly valve. I make sure to clean that out really well before re-installing.
2006 FS SEL AWD w/ 90k miles

jas88

Post by jas88 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:48 am

Yeah all that other crud doesn't hurt anything - it's the crud where the butterfly valve touches the TB wall that is the problem.