How to make sure there are no more oil or tranny leaks.

Minnesota_Nice

How to make sure there are no more oil or tranny leaks.

Postby Minnesota_Nice » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:42 am

So after spending a total of $1,700 ++. My FS_06 went through a 120 miles check up and change Transmission fluid at the FORD service. They also said I had a Transmission and Oil leak, so they took care of that too. I was assured that there are no more leaks etc. etc. Plus, the work and parts that was done on my vehicle has a two year warranty. However, being the paranoid owner that I am I looked under the vehicle and I can still see some fluid on the gasket but there was no dripping. Since, they fixed it--- am I right to expect that the gasket should be dry to touch? I have been checking under the vehicle and the ground all the time but so far--- I do not see any drops.
Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.37.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.37.39 AM.png (475.2 KiB) Viewed 121 times

Any knowledge and input is much appreciated!

MN.

xvert

Re: How to make sure there are no more oil or tranny leaks.

Postby xvert » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:16 am

I would assume a leak of engine oil through the rear crankshaft seal. Do not hurry to replace. Someday you will have to repair the CVT, then replace the oil seal (but I do not understand why you have not yet the cvt repaired :) )

Minnesota_Nice

Postby Minnesota_Nice » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:48 am

xvert wrote:I would assume a leak of engine oil through the rear crankshaft seal. Do not hurry to replace. Someday you will have to repair the CVT, then replace the oil seal (but I do not understand why you have not yet the cvt repaired :) )

If it's an engine oil problem they should have fixed it because, it was one of my main reason for bringing the vehicle to the dealer. As for the CVT, it is the only thing that is okay at the moment and I just had a CVT fluid change at 118,XXX miles. They also replaced the HP filter.

xvert

Postby xvert » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:32 pm

Leakage of the HP filter is easily confused with the leakage of the CVT pan. In your case, most likely there is a leakage of the rear crankshaft seal.
3.5 years ago, I have the rear crankshaft oil seal replaced (FELPRO seal). For 1000 (!) Miles it "sweated" (a small leak like yours), but then stopped. Six months ago I was repairing the CVT and replaced the seal again (OE seal). This time I thoroughly cleaned and polished the surface of the crankshaft. I do not know from where (many oil seals were replaced), but oil droplets were present for about 2 weeks

RVAFreestyle

Postby RVAFreestyle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:15 pm

That definitely a RM seal leak. The oil will deliberately come through the lower "weep" hole in the bell housing of the trans. Its a relatively small leak it appears, likely leaving a spot on the driveway about the size of a coke can after a few day at the worst.

If you paid to have the RM seal done, then yes take it back. Show them and have them fix it.

Generally in my experience RM seals that installed without the proper special service tool will leak. Although as the previous poster said sometimes a burr can occur on the end of the crankshaft when the improper tool is used in a prying motion to get the old seal out. If this goes without a slight polishing with emery cloth- it will tear the seal on install no matter what tool is use to install it.

However, it can be actually NOT leaking and simply residual oil leaking out of the bellhousing through the inspection plug (black plastic). Whenever I replaced rear mains, I take about two cans of brake solvent and hose out the bell housing and the back of the block and wipe it clean like it was brand new. This is two fold, one it is the proper way to repair something, fix the problem and the symptom. Two if there is a leak from poor workmanship or seal defect, it will show as "clean" oil from the RM or clean ATF from the front pump seal.

If they didn't replace it monitor your oil level at each fill up (as everyone should) and wait for it to get BAD then replace it. Do use any of the "high mileage seal condition" additives or specific oils. They are garbage, all they do is have a swell agent in the oil or additive that swells the seals for a temporary fix. Eventually if you stop using the product the seals shrink back down and your leak is 3 times the size. Just run a high quality blend or synthetic with no conditions.

My rear main seal began to weep like your on my 2010 Expedition at 17K miles when I bought it- I was pissed. Lol First thing I did was pop the inspection plate hose as much down as I could, change the garbage jiffy lube filter for a FoMoCo filter (better drain-back valves and construction) and run Mobil 1. within two oil changes it stopped. I have NO explanation other tan perhaps the seal got carbon coked on the back of it from cheap ass oil and the Mobil 1 flushed it out.... but hell maybe you will get lucky too.
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

Return to “Drivetrain”