A/C Compressor going bad

bidwin

A/C Compressor going bad

Postby bidwin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Just learned the A/C compressor in my 2007 Freestyle is going bad. Got a quote to fix that required replacing the condenser with the compressor. Explanation was any shavings or other junk in the old condenser would contaminate the new compressor and perhaps make it fail. When asked why other parts of the A/C system didn't have to be replaced for the same reason I sort of got a hummina-hummina answer. A parts man at a local Ford dealer said he'd never heard that a condenser must be replaced with the compressor. Can anyone out there give me the real skinny about what must, or should, be replaced along with the compressor?
Thanks.

dmckmc

Re: A/C Compressor going bad

Postby dmckmc » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:05 am

i'll give you my opinion as I am not a mechanic but I have replaced nearly my entire a/c system. I have a 2005 AWD ltd with rear air so this may or may not apply to your car. If the compressor failed and there are small metal bits floating around your system, more pieces probably need to be replaced and the lines/system flushed. Was there any mention of replacing the receiver/drier or expansion valve(s) - rear air has an additional expansion valve. Seems to me these are more commonly replaced during service than the condensor. I have replaced the condensor but it was due to damage. The oem condensor had fairly large tubes that could easily be flushed/cleaned. The after market replacement had a flat/ribbon type tubing system that had tiny openings, I believe it would be difficult to flush this type of condensor of all metal and I would replace it in the event of another compressor failure. One thing you can ask them to do is add a screen filter at the compressor manifold to capture any metal bits still in the system and of course get a long warranty on the work. Finally, all the flushing and extra parts cost money, if I had not done the labor, my repair would have easily cost more than the car is worth (250,000 miles). So consider your budget and how long you will own the car to decide how many parts to replace.

RVAFreestyle

Re: A/C Compressor going bad

Postby RVAFreestyle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:39 pm

I have heard of replacement of the condenser following AC Compressor failure ONLY when the receiver drier is manufactured into the condenser. The receiver drier on FS are available separately. A proper compressor failure (i.e. actual piston or wobble disc failure inside the compressor) would include a new drier and extensive examination of metal fragments in the line and flushing if necessary.

There is no benefit to replacing a condenser with a new compressor unless you interested in padding the shop and technicians wallets.
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions - How-To”