Leaving the Freestyle family soon

GreenEnvy

Leaving the Freestyle family soon

Post by GreenEnvy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:50 pm

It saddens me, but I've got freestyle for sale. I've only had it 3 years, but it's been a great car. I've only replaced 2 oxygen sensors, at about $30 each, front breaks, and I did CVT fluid/filter, plus oil changes.
It's at 189,000km now, and running perfectly.

The reason it's going it a bit long. My wife and kids love camping, so last year we bought a used popup camper. The seller said it was under 1500lbs, and the Freestyle is rated to 2000lbs. This would have had us right at or over slightly over the limit with people and stuff, but as we weren't planning on going far or to hilly areas, thought it would be OK.

When I got the camper home (towed it with my 2004 Hyundai Elantra 4cyl which also had a 2000lb tow rating), I weighed it at a truck scale, and it was over 2000lbs empty.

So we quickly needed to get a car that could tow the camper (probably should have just sold the camper), so sold my Elantra and got a 2009 Ford Escape. That worked out great last summer, towed it a lot actually.

This year we decided having 2 big cars was stupid. We need a 6-seater because my inlaws come stay with us at least once a year, and come for 30-40 days at a time. So we're selling both SUV's, and will get one small car, and one big one that can both tow when we need it, and hold 6 of us when we need it.

Last night I bought a 2008 Honda Civic with only 117,000km on it. Waiting for my Freestyle to sell now. Then we'll sell the escape and get something else. I'm pushing for a Flex since we loved the freestyle, and it can tow up to 4500lbs which is more than the 3500 our escape can tow now.

So, I'll miss the comfort, smooth ride, versatility of the freestyle. Even the fuel economy wasn't bad for me, I averaged around 10.1L/100km over the last 2 years. When doing long highway drives I'd get it down to 8.6L/100km. The Honda lacks the heated seats, sunroof, and some other goodies the Freestyle had. It's also a manual which I'll have to get used to again, but at least it has cruise.

mmsstar

Re: Leaving the Freestyle family soon

Post by mmsstar » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:54 pm

The Flex is only rated at that number when it comes with the towing package from the Factory. Come on over to Fordflex.net and check out the towing topics.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

GreenEnvy

Post by GreenEnvy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:55 pm

mmsstar wrote:The Flex is only rated at that number when it comes with the towing package from the Factory. Come on over to Fordflex.net and check out the towing topics.
I haven't read up on it too much for the flex as we're still a few months away, but generally factory tow packages are just a transmission cooler and a hitch, sometimes a brake controller. (all of which I'd be adding anyway). Is it different with the flex?

Our trailer would be fine with the 3500 anyway, but I'll look into it anyway. Thanks for the head up.

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:26 pm

The Flex is only rated at 2000 lbs when not equipped with the towing packages from the Factory. Physically everything in the tow package can be added but there is anti sway software that the dealers can't activate although someone has said they turned it on using Forscan
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

GreenEnvy

Post by GreenEnvy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:15 am

Interesting, thanks for the info.

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:45 am

I would not have an issue pulling a pop-up camper with the Freestyle. Years ago I pulled a 6x12 large trailer and had 3 adults and 3 kids in the Freestyle while going up and down mountains in Colorado. :lol:

DirtDiver78

Post by DirtDiver78 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:25 pm

Just curious if your vehicle has sold already. I just lost the transmission in my 2005 Freestyle today at 170K.

Lord_Snax

Post by Lord_Snax » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:08 am

When you pulled on the truck scale, did you have the camper hooked to the car or did you disconnect the camper and weighed it separate from the Hyundai?

The freestyle has a curb weight (weight of the car alone with no one in it), of about 4,000lbs, and your Hyundai has a curb weight of about 2,600lbs. So if the camper does weigh 1,500lbs, if you pull it with the freestyle your combined vehicle weight is 5,500lbs and with your Hyundai its 3,100lbs.

I don't know much about towing with the freestyle, but try loading your car as you would to go camping with the camper in tow and go a short distance. See how your freestyle handles it. The freestyle maybe able to do it after all.

Most importantly, look at the weights of everything, and make sure you don't go over the gross vehicle weight, (GVW, the maximum weight the vehicle is rated for) and the combined gross vehicle weight (CGVW, the weight rating of both the car and the trailer combined). Make sure you do not exceed those ratings and you should be okay.

Hope this was helpful,
Lord_Snax

Lord_Snax

Post by Lord_Snax » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:11 pm

DirtDiver78 wrote:Just curious if your vehicle has sold already. I just lost the transmission in my 2005 Freestyle today at 170K.
Ouch man! If you plan on getting a new one, be wary of A1 Auto (I think it was). I have heard some horror stories about them not re-building the transmissions for these cars correctly and then blaming the issues on the buyer if the buyer finds an issue.