Just Picked Up One... What Do I Need To Know?

Rob774

Just Picked Up One... What Do I Need To Know?

Postby Rob774 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:50 am

Just grabbed a 2008, got lucky and it only had 83,000 miles. The engine purs... doesn't even rattle the car. Been looking for a 7-passanger vehicle for awhile and this board relieved any fears I had in getting a 10 year old Ford. Saw an Eddie Bauer I like... but it had high miles... and the dealer was still asking for 10K.

Got this for $6500.

What do I need to know?
I've already read on here about some transmission concerns.

How about water pump life?
Fuel pump?

I put in Bosch Platinum +4 plugs in my Focus. But I heard they don't improve quality of every car they are placed in.

I had a K&N air filter inside my Avalon... loved it. Thinking about putting it in this vehicle, the roar this car already gives... would sound even better.

The last few weeks, thought the pickup was sluggish, but I guess I've been afraid to punch it. I had a guy stop suddenly in front of me yesterday and it was like time slowed down.

I hit the brakes, but there was a guy on my back who would of undoubtedly rear ended me. There was the tiniest of gaps between me and a Murano... so i punched it and changed lanes. I was suprised on how quick the response was and the handling. A larger SUV like an Explorer would of killed on me on the body sway.
The MORE you know, the dumber you sound to STUPID people.

gsally

Re: Just Picked Up One... What Do I Need To Know?

Postby gsally » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Congrats! Key maintenance on this car is the CVT transmission, there's a filter and fluid change recommended at 60K intervals. Changing the spark plugs is a little more involved, you'll need to remove the intake manifold.

The Freestyle's an unappreciated, great car.

mmsstar

Postby mmsstar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:53 pm

I believe the OP has the Taurus X which has the 6 speed, no CVT.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

pwschuh

Postby pwschuh » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:57 am

mmsstar wrote:I believe the OP has the Taurus X which has the 6 speed, no CVT.

You are correct. Freestyle Forum is a different forum.
2008 TX Limited
Silver Birch Metallic/Black leather
WeatherTech floormats all rows
Bought used on 17 Nov 10 with 20,000 miles

Rob774

Postby Rob774 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:48 am

mmsstar wrote:I believe the OP has the Taurus X which has the 6 speed, no CVT.

Yeah, I had found some really affordable Freestyles... but what I was hearing about the CVT engine scared me.

Which is why I purposely went with the Taurus X.

Plus having the boost in horsepower helped. You are asking a lot for a 3.0 engine to push a 4000 pound vehicle.

RVAFreestyle

Postby RVAFreestyle » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:56 am

Taurus X (all the benefits of the FS less the CVT) is the best followed by very late model 2007 FS with improved CVT.....

For what you need general maintenance for T-x models. Water pumps like to leak with no noise. THAT'S really about it
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

pmassey31545

Postby pmassey31545 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:05 am

RVAFreestyle wrote:Taurus X (all the benefits of the FS less the CVT) is the best followed by very late model 2007 FS with improved CVT.....

MAybe a stupid question...and I may answer it before you do by checking the VIN...but what is considered 'late model'?
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry, 2010 VW Routan

Rob774

Postby Rob774 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:09 am

RVAFreestyle wrote:Taurus X (all the benefits of the FS less the CVT) is the best followed by very late model 2007 FS with improved CVT.....

For what you need general maintenance for T-x models. Water pumps like to leak with no noise. THAT'S really about it

Pre-emptively...when would on go about attacking that?

Or should I just wait.

madmatt2024

Postby madmatt2024 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Rob774 wrote:Pre-emptively...when would on go about attacking that? Or should I just wait.

Changing the water pump on these is a big job so its best to just wait and maintain your cooling system properly. Change your coolant at the specified interval, use the correct concentration, and keep it full. My moms has over 200K on the original water pump and so far so good.

Rob774

Postby Rob774 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:09 am

madmatt2024 wrote:
Rob774 wrote:Pre-emptively...when would on go about attacking that? Or should I just wait.

Changing the water pump on these is a big job so its best to just wait and maintain your cooling system properly. Change your coolant at the specified interval, use the correct concentration, and keep it full. My moms has over 200K on the original water pump and so far so good.

The Ford dealer in which I purchased it from has me going back to them for work. So hopefully... they'll help me stay on top of it.

Thanks.

spy1309

Postby spy1309 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:51 am

Just keep up with regular maintenance, oil changes, annual transmission fluid change, regular air filter change ( you will waste money with no benefit with a K&N filter....I tried )..... if you have no water pump leaks do not mess with it is a big and expensive job, water pump is inside the engine.
I have 340k on mine a 2009 model....made a 5000 miles trip with it with only a "minor" issue an exploded tire on expressway .....pay attention to wheel bearings.

PS- Still have original water pump.

Rob774

Postby Rob774 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:33 am

spy1309 wrote:Just keep up with regular maintenance, oil changes, annual transmission fluid change, regular air filter change ( you will waste money with no benefit with a K&N filter....I tried )..... if you have no water pump leaks do not mess with it is a big and expensive job, water pump is inside the engine.
I have 340k on mine a 2009 model....made a 5000 miles trip with it with only a "minor" issue an exploded tire on expressway .....pay attention to wheel bearings.

PS- Still have original water pump.

I live outside Illy Philly... outside of your personally lifting up the hood of my vehicle, you'd be fine traveling from Philly to South Carolina with no worries?

My biggest "concern" with taking a big trip with an older vehicle is that big trip exacerbates a concern that might not have come up as soon. But going non-stop for hours... in 80+ degree heat. My previous vehicle was an Avalon, before stolen, I took it to Florida with no worries. ON the way back, the struts went. Now obviously.. that would of happened regardless. But my mind tells me that putting on 2000 mils in a week sure didn't help it.

Rob774

Postby Rob774 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:48 am

I just wish to toss this out there. This is my first SUV / Crossover, and let me tell yoiu.. the amount of crap I can toss in the back of this thing when the seats are down. We are changing up our basement (by-by man cave... for now) and making it into bedroom for my daughter. By shopping on Offer Up/Craigslist/Letgo, I've been able to get dressers, wardrobe closets, futons. Some of the other vehicles I was looking at Pilot, Veracruz, etc. They were about a foot shorter. I don't know if I could of gotten that futon frame inside of those vehicles.

spy1309

Postby spy1309 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:28 pm

A car with a proper maintained engine can run non stop for days on end with no issues.....I drove hours in 90+ weather with no issues, as long your cooling system is ok you should have no problems ....every 4 years just flush the radiator and replace the coolant with new one....don t overload the car beyond capacity.....and disengage the transmission OD in hilly terrain.

Rob774

Postby Rob774 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:02 am

Also... what do you guys think about the factory scissor jack? Is it adequate. I used to get nervous with that tiny thing when dealing with my wife's Avalon. The Taurus X is 4,000 lbs. That's a lot for a little scissor jack imo. Then again, I've only seen them suckers fail once, and that was on an uneven surface.

I'm thinking about upgrading, my only concern is the "floor" jacks I see at Autozone look like like they only do well on solid floors, vs say a sidewalk / street.

Return to “2008-2009 Ford Taurus X”