Lift About 2 Inches

pmassey31545

Lift About 2 Inches

Postby pmassey31545 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:16 am

As the title says, I'd like to lift mine up about 2 inches. Not with an actual lift kit I don't think but maybe spacers in the springs and so forth just to give it a little bit more clearance. And a little bit more height. Has anyone else done this? Or does anyone think it is possible? Or would I be looking at issues with the driveshafts, CV axles and such?
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry, 2010 VW Routan

RVAFreestyle

Re: Lift About 2 Inches

Postby RVAFreestyle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:42 pm

Bad idea. See my signature for my qualifications- atop of those i am an avid rockcrawler and have multiple lifted purpose built rigs.

Coil spacers, like the junk you by at advance or pepboys are unsafe and are also typically no legal when it comes to your annual state safety inspection. They produce poor handling, spring fatigue and are prone to ejection while in use. Which I hope even as a lay person you understand that's not a good thing.

If you want to "lift" a vehicle that isn't designed or intended to go offroad hey you can do it. Just do it right. The FS is built on Volvo's P2 platform, most of the rear suspension is identical. The front suspension and struts ARE NOT.

A proper lift on a IFS and IRS vehicle will require either a coil kit like this for P2 XC70s:

https://www.xc70liftkit.com

Or you will need to do reaearch for a "puck" lift. The pucks are either inserted atop of the springs between the seat and spring OR between the seat and body. The latter ttpically being CNC machined.

Keep in mind either or WILL strain the CVs and CVT and angle gear as the FS and P2 platforming was built for much suspension travel and axle articulation
Overall I think you can accomplish your desire look going to a Plus 1 size of tir(see tire rack site) or swapping out you all seasons for something nice like a general grabber at tire. An aggressive tire of the same size does wonders.

Good luck!
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

pmassey31545

Postby pmassey31545 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:59 am

RVAFreestyle wrote:Bad idea. See my signature for my qualifications- atop of those i am an avid rockcrawler and have multiple lifted purpose built rigs.

Coil spacers, like the junk you by at advance or pepboys are unsafe and are also typically no legal when it comes to your annual state safety inspection. They produce poor handling, spring fatigue and are prone to ejection while in use. Which I hope even as a lay person you understand that's not a good thing.

If you want to "lift" a vehicle that isn't designed or intended to go offroad hey you can do it. Just do it right. The FS is built on Volvo's P2 platform, most of the rear suspension is identical. The front suspension and struts ARE NOT.

A proper lift on a IFS and IRS vehicle will require either a coil kit like this for P2 XC70s:

https://www.xc70liftkit.com

Or you will need to do reaearch for a "puck" lift. The pucks are either inserted atop of the springs between the seat and spring OR between the seat and body. The latter ttpically being CNC machined.

Keep in mind either or WILL strain the CVs and CVT and angle gear as the FS and P2 platforming was built for much suspension travel and axle articulation
Overall I think you can accomplish your desire look going to a Plus 1 size of tir(see tire rack site) or swapping out you all seasons for something nice like a general grabber at tire. An aggressive tire of the same size does wonders.

Good luck!

Tire size is a good idea. I could easily get and extra inch to inch and a half out of tires. I'll just wait till I need more.

Thanks for your post. Great info and a perfect answer.
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry, 2010 VW Routan

pmassey31545

Postby pmassey31545 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:01 pm

^^^^^Exactly!
2007 Limited AWD

Return to “General Topics”