Cabin air flow loss with AC on

baf20prz

Cabin air flow loss with AC on

Postby baf20prz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:05 am

This is something of a follow up to a previous thread RE blend door/cabin air mode actuator: https://www.myfordfreestyle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7265

That fixed an issue, but no THE issue which is loss of cabin air output after ~1hr. drive time with the AC on. It's one of those things that makes long car trips a real pain - especially when the rear passengers start to gradually bake and get cranky.

The fan runs fine but something in the climate control stack is preventing output to any of the outlets (floor, panel, defrost - all have no output while fan chugs away). The change is gradual-not binary. I've now found that if i turn off AC (by pushing the panel button) and wait 10-45 seconds the output will return as something in the stack cycles and I can re-engage the AC and start the countdown over again.

I don't have rear air or dual zone - just plain jane analog knobs and buttons. I'm guessing it's a simple fix, but finding the offending part is the issue. Any ideas?

RVAFreestyle

Re: Cabin air flow loss with AC on

Postby RVAFreestyle » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:11 pm

If you only experience the loss of air flow with AC on and the problem is ONLY airflow and NOT loss of cooling. Its likley the evaporator freezing up.

Evaporator freeze up is caused by a failure of the expansion valve or evaporator temperature sensor (not sure if FS has one off the top of my head)
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

baf20prz

Postby baf20prz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:52 am

Thanks. I don't have AC service tools so I'll have my shop check it out. On another fourm it was pointed out that that a small loss of refrigerant can cause this behavior as well, so getting the basics checked would certainly be the place to start.

baf20prz

Postby baf20prz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:20 am

Just seems strange that it can clear so quickly as well as not freeze right back up again. 4x70 cabin cooling just doesn't do it for kids these days so I'll have to get this resolved. :)

RVAFreestyle

Postby RVAFreestyle » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:08 pm

Low refrigerant will NOT cause low AIR flow.

It will cause high outlet temperatures, and in some cases unequal temerpature across the core, which can be exhibitted as cool but not cold on one side of the outlets and warm on the other.
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

Return to “2008-2009 Ford Taurus X”