Miles and CVT Work/Maintenance

pmassey31545
Regular Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:23 am

Miles and CVT Work/Maintenance

Postby pmassey31545 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:44 am

I have looked through the forums and really haven't found a decent list of what I am trying to compile here. What I would like to do is find out from everyone (especially original owners) how well their CVT has been maintained and the associated failures. It seems to me that most 'failures' I've read about have a common theme-The owner/driver didn't service the CVT as prescribed in the manual. And it seems to me after reading countless pages and articles, that the CVT fluid and filter (unlike most conventional trannys) MUST BE changed to keep the system operating correctly. And it also seems the 2005 and 2006 models suffer more CVT issues than the 2007. Still not sure if the AWD or FWD have more issues-CVT related only.

1) Year of vehicle. (2005, 2006, 2007)
2) What kind of mileage is on your vehicle (Less than 100K, 100K-150K, 150K-200K-, 200K plus)
3) FWD or AWD.
4) CVT service intervals (Followed recommended schedule strictly, loosely, not at all), serviced before or after failure?
5) List of CVT issues. (What component(s) failed?)

I would like to stay on topic and keep it simple. But I realize the complexity of gathering this info. So I have tried to break it down into more generic categories and limit the specific input data. Feel free to share your experience in your post.

How about this? External site but it lets me make multiple questions.

https://freeonlinesurveys.com/s/kibBo1QY
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry, 2010 VW Routan


pmassey31545
Regular Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:23 am

Re: Miles and CVT Work/Maintenance

Postby pmassey31545 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:10 am

I'll go first.

We just bought our FS about a month ago. The previous owner had an issue with the CVT after filling up at a gas station. An elderly couple owned the car and after starting it up it didn't want to drive properly. She told me they had it towed to the Ford dealer and they changed the solenoids and the CVT fluid and high pressure filter. That was at about 85,000 miles. It currently has just over 100K miles and is doing just fine. I've filled out the survey as well but to include my answer here:
1) 2007
2) 100,000
3) AWD
4) Loosely (PO)-Strictly (ME)
5) Listed in post
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry, 2010 VW Routan

User avatar
jas88
Regular Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: Miles and CVT Work/Maintenance

Postby jas88 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:34 am

FS1 - the wife's

1) Year of vehicle: 2005
2) What kind of mileage is on your vehicle: 235K when we sold it
3) FWD or AWD: FWD
4) CVT service intervals: Fluid and HP Filter every 50K miles
5) List of CVT issues: None

FS2 - mine

1) Year of vehicle: 2006
2) What kind of mileage is on your vehicle: 145K currently
3) FWD or AWD: FWD
4) CVT service intervals: Fluid and HP Filter every 50K miles
5) List of CVT issues: None

I still think the biggest cause of CVT failures is incorrect service done by jacklegs. Nobody services my vehicles but me.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

pmassey31545
Regular Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:23 am

Re: Miles and CVT Work/Maintenance

Postby pmassey31545 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:15 am

jas88 wrote:FS1 - the wife's

1) Year of vehicle: 2005
2) What kind of mileage is on your vehicle: 235K when we sold it
3) FWD or AWD: FWD
4) CVT service intervals: Fluid and HP Filter every 50K miles
5) List of CVT issues: None

FS2 - mine

1) Year of vehicle: 2006
2) What kind of mileage is on your vehicle: 145K currently
3) FWD or AWD: FWD
4) CVT service intervals: Fluid and HP Filter every 50K miles
5) List of CVT issues: None

I still think the biggest cause of CVT failures is incorrect service done by jacklegs. Nobody services my vehicles but me.


Bold-comforting. The last sentence...my feelings exactly.

I've got a VW Routan (minivan) and it had been acting up. Wouldn't run right and all kinds of codes. Took it to a local mechanic and he said electrical. Took it to VW and they said catalytic converter. Took it to another local and he diagnosed a broken valve spring. Quoted me $3800 for an engine install.

Long story short...$6 valve spring, $13 valve and my labor and she purrs like a kitten.
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry, 2010 VW Routan

05 freestang
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:58 am

Re: Miles and CVT Work/Maintenance

Postby 05 freestang » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:14 am

1) Year of vehicle: 2005 (original owner)
2) What kind of mileage is on your vehicle: 150,000
3) AWD
4) CVT service intervals: Followed recommended schedule strictly!
5) List of CVT issues: none

Need to add that I have also had the CVT programming updates done on occasion - can't remember the number of times. That seems to be one area of service that I don't remember reading about here. To me, that is just as important as servicing the CVT. IMO

ajluzi
Regular Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Miles and CVT Work/Maintenance

Postby ajluzi » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:43 am

Mine is a 2006 AWD. I too, do all my own work. Did fluid and filter change with ford parts and fluid at 70,000 miles. Tranny was replaced at 90,000 miles with a ford rebuild due to helicopter noise problem associated with the bad input shaft problem. Done absolutely nothing to the tranny since, and currently have 232,000 on the vehicle (142,000 on the rebuild).
You can do all the maintenance you want, if you have a defective input shaft, it won't matter, the transmission will fail

pmassey31545
Regular Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:23 am

Re: Miles and CVT Work/Maintenance

Postby pmassey31545 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:59 pm

05 freestang wrote:1) Year of vehicle: 2005 (original owner)
2) What kind of mileage is on your vehicle: 150,000
3) AWD
4) CVT service intervals: Followed recommended schedule strictly!
5) List of CVT issues: none

Need to add that I have also had the CVT programming updates done on occasion - can't remember the number of times. That seems to be one area of service that I don't remember reading about here. To me, that is just as important as servicing the CVT. IMO

Is this a quick and cheap service? I would assume a dealer service. And do you have more info on what they are 'updating'?
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry, 2010 VW Routan

pmassey31545
Regular Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:23 am

Re: Miles and CVT Work/Maintenance

Postby pmassey31545 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:00 pm

ajluzi wrote:Mine is a 2006 AWD. I too, do all my own work. Did fluid and filter change with ford parts and fluid at 70,000 miles. Tranny was replaced at 90,000 miles with a ford rebuild due to helicopter noise problem associated with the bad input shaft problem. Done absolutely nothing to the tranny since, and currently have 232,000 on the vehicle (142,000 on the rebuild).
You can do all the maintenance you want, if you have a defective input shaft, it won't matter, the transmission will fail

So nothing done to the rebuild? Even service (fluid and filter)?

Also, I guess if the shaft is bad it will show in time.
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry, 2010 VW Routan

ajluzi
Regular Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Miles and CVT Work/Maintenance

Postby ajluzi » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:52 am

Yes, absolutely nothing done on the rebuild. I don't plan to do much with this car anymore, just going to drive it until something major happens, then junk it. Other than the tranny, this has been a great car, oil changes every 3,000 miles, and just routine maintenance items along the way.

gsally
Regular Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Miles and CVT Work/Maintenance

Postby gsally » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:24 pm

1) 2006
2) 293K miles
3) AWD.
4) CVT service intervals: unknown. replaced fluid and HP filter a few K miles ago
5) Works OK! Doesn't go into glide/upshift when I think it should, but, hey almost 300K miles.

pmassey31545
Regular Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:23 am

Re: Miles and CVT Work/Maintenance

Postby pmassey31545 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:07 am

gsally wrote:1)
5) Works OK! Doesn't go into glide/upshift when I think it should, but, hey almost 300K miles.

Do you mean the 1 time/point at which it 'seems' to change gears? Mine does that around 30mph. Was hoping it was normal.

***Also, again, I think your little blog is pretty neat***
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry, 2010 VW Routan

gsally
Regular Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Miles and CVT Work/Maintenance

Postby gsally » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:59 pm

> Do you mean the 1 time/point at which it 'seems'

Yes! My shift point is at about 20 mph. I'm not sure if this is a transmission problem or an issue with the AWD system. I hope I figure it out soon, it's frustrating! But then again, for the mileage/age/price, I'm not complaining.

> blog is pretty neat

Thanks! So you're the reader?. I'm totally amazed of the car I'm driving had a purchase price of $500, I expected to be tooling around in a rust bucket with 3 different color body panels. I think I've spent about 1K getting it into serviceable condition. Still a super-good deal and more fun than expected.


Return to “Drivetrain”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests