high mileage transmission

deesfreestyle

high mileage transmission

Postby deesfreestyle » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:15 pm

i have a 2005 freestyle with 150k miles. the transmission oil and filters have never been changed. i am not having any problems as of now. should i change the oil and filters for the first time at 150k miles.

thanks for your help and opinion.

Splicer

Re: high mileage transmission

Postby Splicer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Absolutely...
2007 Freestyle Limited FWD 281,000 miles
2004 Escape XLT FWD 191,000
2006 Escape Hybrid AWD 112,000

Mike51Merc

Postby Mike51Merc » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:00 am

Yes. Unlike a conventional automatic, the CVT doesn't have the risks of high-mileage trans fluid changes.

deesfreestyle

Postby deesfreestyle » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:52 pm

thanks for your time and help

pmassey31545

Postby pmassey31545 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:58 pm

Yeah. Change that mug. I would.
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry, 2010 VW Routan

RVAFreestyle

Postby RVAFreestyle » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:31 pm

There is some truth to the old adage let a sleeping dog lay and not to change fluid on old transmissions.

In a traditional transmission you have friction discs and steels that through various apply bands and servos make the transmission go (for the sake of being concise).

As the transmission wears friction material and surfaces of the transmission steels and moving parts wear and thats deposited in the fluid as it lubricates, cools, and powers the transmission.
The vast majority of your tranny oil is discolored due to heat and the depositary effects of this wear.

Transmission oils have a very high detergent additive, which keeps the frictions clean and happy in a well maintained trans.

When you take a neglected trans and put a bunch of fresh fluid in it, it basically washes all the wear and gunk into the pan deposits it where it can clog the filter, or if you did a filter change too, it can deposit the material that once was settled within the trans all over. This ears up seals, frictions, pumps etc, all that high quality atf cleaning off those deposits and ciculating them. Imagine a clear pond that you throw a big rock in. That rock kick up the sediment and the pond carries it all over. That rock is the fresh atf and the sediment metal filings, microscopic metal wear and loose friction materials. Wa-la ok tranny is now cooked. Flushing it with a commerical flush machine is even worse.

Now the CVT doesn't have frictions, bands etc. So its ok? Right? Wellllllllllll not exactly, there are various seals and pumps that would be affected by the swift action of fresh flyid pushing around chain and pully wear. Your best bet a new HP filter in the case and ford cvt oil. Dont mess with the screen in the pan...only because the pan bolts are notorious for stripping in the case half and breaking. The are cast low grade aluminum. Secondly the there is no pan filter, just a screen like on your engine oil pick up.

Do the HP filter and oil and be very clean about it. Hose off the entire side of the trans with a degresser or break clean BEFORE you pop the filter case. Use a FoMoCo filter and besure to follow the refill procedure. Just know that there IS still a slight change if the trans was abused either by driving style or maintenance you may be left with a paper weight- just as equally if you don't change it.

My FS was service at 60 I bought it at 121 and serviced it. So far so good at 140k. Good luck
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

pmassey31545

Postby pmassey31545 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:27 pm

RVAFreestyle wrote:There is some truth to the old adage let a sleeping dog lay and not to change fluid on old transmissions. In a traditional transmission you have friction discs and steels that through various apply bands and servos make the transmission go (for the sake of being concise)...

I was typing the exact same thing when you posted this. OK, maybe not. Makes good sense what you say though. Danged if ya do-darned if you don't.
2007 Limited AWD
2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry, 2010 VW Routan

Return to “Drivetrain”