Another issue yet, the same issue

v8caterpillar

Another issue yet, the same issue

Post by v8caterpillar » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:53 am

I thought we had the issues with our 05 Freestyle licked but it seems not. New fuel pump, new fuel pressure sensor, new fuel filter, newly cleaned throttle body and mass air flow sensor and new air filter. I detailed the whole mess in the thread labled "replacement gas tank".

Here is the latest weirdness: Last three times I've gotten gas the pump shuts off when the gauge shows 1/2 tank. Last two times after putting gas in the car has stalled out every time I slow down to come to a stop. That's when we cleaned the throttle body and mass air flow sensor. Car ran like new after that. So, I got gas again this morning because the gauge showed 1/4 tank. Gas pump shuts off again at 1/2 tank. I thought I'd be a smarty pants and tried to "top it off" and splashed fuel out all over the side of my car. Started back to work and it stalled at the first light. She starts right back up again and when I put it in neutral when slowing to stop it doesn't stall. Stalled out twice before I got the hang of it and got to work

What the heck is going on now???

Mike51Merc

Re: Another issue yet, the same issue

Post by Mike51Merc » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:45 am

OK, this may be a longshot, but here goes:
I had a friend with similar problems in a GM car. Some cars have anti-siphon valves that prevent a thief from putting a hose in the tank to suck out your fuel. These valves have a plastic ball valve inside the fuel inlet and sometimes they get stuck and prevent fuel from flowing into the tank.

I may be wrong but it sounds like something is blocking your fuel fill hose.

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Are you fueling with the key on?
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

v8caterpillar

Post by v8caterpillar » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:35 pm

Actually, the car was running while I was putting gas in.

Lord_Snax

Post by Lord_Snax » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:42 pm

If you are filling up from a 1/4th tank, the car should only take between 11 to 13 gallons of fuel. My '05 Freestyle only takes around 12.5 gallons of fuel from a 1/4th tank and over 14 from empty. If your car is taking less than that, then I would guess you either have a bad fuel gauge or a bad sending unit for the fuel gauge on the fuel pump.

As for the car stalling, try changing the fuel filter if you have one. Mine does, its located under the car on the passenger side. Sort of in the middle of the rear door, towards the back a little. It looks like a small soda can with tubes on both ends.

To remove it, you will need a jack and a jack stand or some blocks, to lift the car if needed. A 5/16 in. fuel line quick disconnect tool (linked below), some Pig Mats and/or a pan to help catch any extra fuel, a flat head screw driver to remove the clamp holding the fuel filter and some rubber gloves to help keep the fuel off of your hands (gloves are optional).

Jack the rear passenger side of the car up to get easier access to the fuel filter. The quick connects are hard to remove, so remove them first before loosening the clamp on the filter. BEWARE! Fuel from the lines will drain out so have the Pig Mats ready! Once the fuel lines on both sides are disconnected, loosen the clamp on the filter and slide it toward the driver's side. Note! There is about a 1/2 cup of fuel that will spill from the filter! Also! Note the position of the old fuel filter as the new filter will need to face the same way. Fuel flow is towards the driver's side if I remember correctly. Then tighten the clamp and connect the fuel lines. Note! The fuel system must be primed before the car will start.

To prime the system, turn the key to the ON position and wait 20-30 seconds and turn the key to OFF. Repeat this step 3 times and on the 3rd time start the car and give it a moment to purge any air in the system before driving anywhere.

And you're done! Enjoy!

Fuel line disconnect tool:
https://amzn.to/2ljS6nS

Lord_Snax

Post by Lord_Snax » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:04 pm

v8caterpillar wrote:Actually, the car was running while I was putting gas in.
I am sorry to say, but you should not be doing that. Make sure to turn off the car before putting fuel in it. It's a safety issue, people can get hurt. As a fire or explosion can be caused by the engine running. So please, do not fuel up the car while it is running.
Last edited by Lord_Snax on Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

v8caterpillar

Post by v8caterpillar » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:06 pm

We actually changed the fuel filter a couple weeks ago and it was full of water. Could it need changed again so quickly?
My husband is wondering if maybe the tank isn't venting properly? (History: we changed the fuel pump a couple weeks ago too) or if the float isn't working properly.

It just seems weird that the car will stall out after fueling but then run fine later.

RVAFreestyle

Post by RVAFreestyle » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:07 pm

The FS is built on the Volvo P2 AWD V70 platform. Both use a fuel tank that straddles the rear propeller shaft (rear drive shaft).

The pump sits on the passenger rear side of the tank but still has to shipon fuel out of the other side of the saddle type fuel tank.

To accomplish this the pump has an ejector and siphon hose that runs INSIDE the tank. These are the hoses you disconnect from the lower body of the pump AFTER you remove the fuel pressure, return lines, harness connector and lock ring from the top of the pump.

If you kinked or damaged the siphon hose it will cause the vehicle to stall at certain lower levels past the 1/2 tank mark.

Also if you damaged the siphon or the roll over valve during your pump install you will cause the repeated burping and inability to fill.

You need to remove and inspect the pump, hoses and valve for install damage
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

Lord_Snax

Post by Lord_Snax » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:10 pm

v8caterpillar wrote:We actually changed the fuel filter a couple weeks ago and it was full of water. Could it need changed again so quickly?
My husband is wondering if maybe the tank isn't venting properly? (History: we changed the fuel pump a couple weeks ago too) or if the float isn't working properly.

It just seems weird that the car will stall out after fueling but then run fine later.
If there was water in the fuel filter, than check again to see if there is water in the fuel filter now. If there is, use a different gas station if you can. There is water in the tanks at the gas station you have been fueling up at.

EDIT:
Also, if the tank was not venting properly during fueling you would not even be able to put a gallon of fuel in before the nozzle clicks off. My Freestyle started doing that recently, I have to hold the fuel nozzle out a little to let it vent properly.

Good luck!
Last edited by Lord_Snax on Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

v8caterpillar

Post by v8caterpillar » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:14 pm

RVAFreestyle wrote:
If you kinked or damaged the siphon hose it will cause the vehicle to stall at certain lower levels past the 1/2 tank mark.

Also if you damaged the siphon or the roll over valve during your pump install you will cause the repeated burping and inability to fill.

You need to remove and inspect the pump, hoses and valve for install damage
Thanks!! We will check that.

v8caterpillar

Post by v8caterpillar » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:16 pm

Lord_Snax wrote:
If there was water in the fuel filter, than check again to see if there is water in the fuel filter now. If there is, use a different gas station if you can. There is water in the tanks at the gas station you have been fueling up at.

Good luck!
We well check this as well. Thank you!

RVAFreestyle

Post by RVAFreestyle » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:42 pm

Very respectfully:

1. Water will not cause you to stall at a specific tank volume.

2. This symptom appears not have been exhibited prior to your repairs on the fuel system, i.e. the fuel pump replacement. Therefore, it is likley associated with that repair and recheck of the workmanship should occur first. If you rule that out I'd move on to otherfault tracing.

3. "Bad gas" is extremely rare.
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

jas88

Post by jas88 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:30 am

Last three times I've gotten gas the pump shuts off when the gauge shows 1/2 tank.
How many gallons had you put in at that point?
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:04 pm

v8caterpillar wrote:Actually, the car was running while I was putting gas in.
Fueling with the key in the ON position will cause the gauge to lag, don't know if the same thing happens with it running.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex