2006 Freestyle interior lights not working

BSKansas

2006 Freestyle interior lights not working

Postby BSKansas » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:49 am

I just got a 2006 Freestyle limited from my sister. The problem we are having is the the lights above 2nd row and 3rd row of seats do not work. I have checked fuses and replaced bulbs. Thank you for any help you may have.

mmsstar

Re: interior lights

Postby mmsstar » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:11 pm

Is the switch on the light off?
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

BSKansas

Postby BSKansas » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:09 pm

neither the dome or reading lights work on the back 2 sets front ones work

brad e

Postby brad e » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:59 am

Hi BSKansas,

Assuming, as mmsstar indicates with his question, you have worked through all of the simple solutions; and it seems that you have; the next step would be to use a multi-meter and/or test light to check for current at various points along the circuit.

I believe AllData; which is available at most public libraries; has the wiring diagram(s), if not perhaps someone on the forum can direct you to one. I would check for current at the fuse block (assuming it is the starting point for this circuit) at one end and bulb sockets on the other; and then work your way back from the bulb sockets to the fuse block. Given the complexity of modern automotive electrical systems, I wouldn't even venture a guess as to the route the current takes to get to the lights you are having the issue with; it may all be routed through the headllight switch, or instrument panel, door jamb switch, etc.. However, with the multimeter and wiring diagram you should be able to find the source of the problem.

I hope there is an easy answer for this issue, and that someone speaks up with an answer, but with seemingly one off issues like this there usually a bit of detective work required.

Webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Webmaster » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:58 am

Free unlimited wiring diagrams @ http://revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/

RVAFreestyle

Re: 2006 Freestyle interior lights not working

Postby RVAFreestyle » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:15 pm

:wink: If the dimmer is rolled all the way down to the lowest setting it turn the interior light off as well

Aside from thats fuses bulbs wiring etc.
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

mmsstar

Postby mmsstar » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:53 am

If the dimmer is turned down, the front lights won't come on either. All of the interior lights run off fuse F22 so if any work, then the fuse is good. If you look up the wiring diagram the lights have 2 power feeds. One from the battery saver relay in the SJB (under dash fuse panel) and one from the courtesy light relay. The feed from the battery saver relay turns the lights on when the door is opened, the feed from the courtesy light relay powers the lights when they are manually turned on via the switch. If either of those relays are bad then none of the lights will work.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

Lord_Snax

Postby Lord_Snax » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:11 pm

I would track the wires. There may be a short in a bad cable or a harness may be unplugged.

RVAFreestyle

Postby RVAFreestyle » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:48 pm

I should have been clearer... yes I know when the dimmer is rolled down none of the lights will work.
But in the original post he never mentioned if the front lights worked... just a second third row.

You're obviously going to have to break out the digital volt ohm meter or a Power Probe or at the very least a test light.

What I like to do in oddball problems is to look for signs someone's done something recently. In this case I look for signs that someone removed a non Factory DVD player or the headliner was down
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

Return to “Interior & Electronics”