Strange Noises

TWWilson

Strange Noises

Post by TWWilson » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Bought two new front tires in June. In July, the passenger front blew out.

A strange "whirring" noise occurs now at 50 mph. It gets louder the faster I go. Most people think it's the bearing. I also have clunky noises when turning the wheel to the right. Can't be the tie rod or end, as both were changed recently. Trying to figure those out. Buying a new hub bearing next month.

In November, only months after the last blow out, THE SAME TIRE blew out. Now, there's (what I presume is a gap in the exhaust line) a sound coming from the car that makes it sound like a dirtbike.

Ideas? I'm fairly certain I know what all is wrong, but I'd love some input.
Driving an '05 Freestyle. Keepin' it metal.

RVAFreestyle

Re: Strange Noises

Post by RVAFreestyle » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Its always hard to diagnosis noise over the web.

Typically bearings have a rotational roaring noise that changes with speed and occasionally worsen or go away if you load/unload the bearing- i.e. make gradual turns at speed.

Check the front suspension for worn components by securing the vehicle on stands grasp the tire at 12 and 6 and rock it towards the 12 and 6 positions. If you feel play in may be a bearing or ball joint.

The grasp at 9 and 3 and repeat, if it has play it may be an inner tie rod, tie rod end or bearing.

Keep in mind these are rudimentary tests, I've seen joints that needed to be loaded just right to find the wear.

Also if you use "discount" parts rather than a name brand like Moog, Federal Mogul, etc. or FoMoCo branded parts to save money its totally possible something has failed again.

If your tires are getting eaten up and blowing over and over again, and inflation is ok, likley the culprit is worn out front suspension or steering or the fact that somone never set the alignment last time thw front end was apart
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

TWWilson

Re: Strange Noises

Post by TWWilson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:20 pm

Will check! Thanks!
Driving an '05 Freestyle. Keepin' it metal.