If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

fuel data error

nepafordman

fuel data error

Post by nepafordman » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:04 pm

on top of my engine light being on, now i am getting a fuel data error reading in the message center. at the time the msg came on the fuel gauge dropped off to empty. now the gauge is fluctuating from full to empty. has anyone experienced this before?

boatshaper

Post by boatshaper » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:08 pm

Best guess is a defective fuel level sensor, or a wiring problem. This may also be the reason for the "check engine" light being on. The check engine light will be activated for problems relating to emission control systems; an inaccurate fuel level reading can affect the fuel vapor control system diagnostics, so it might well turn on the light.

I did hear of a problem a couple of years ago where some brands of gasoline would attack the sensing element in the fuel level sensor, but I think that issue has been resolved by now.

nepafordman

fuel data error

Post by nepafordman » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:49 pm

thanks for the insight. since i have only owned my freestyle for 3 days i am a little discouraged by the problems i am having.i remain hopeful that all of this is a minor glitch that can be sorted out when i take the car for service tomorrow.

tim

Post by tim » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:04 pm

http://www.myford500.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3026

Maybe that will help your dealer find the problem??
Good luck!
Tim in Omaha
'05 SEL/AWD
'07 Shelby GT Mustang

nepafordman

fuel data error

Post by nepafordman » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:06 pm

thank you.i have printed the attached forum and will take it with me to the dealer. your help is greatly appreciated.

Mister Mitch
Location: North Sydney, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by Mister Mitch » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:01 pm

I had that very same problem on my old Voyager. It came from trying to put too much fuel in the tank. I thought that it was OK to fill up to the point that the gas was just about to leak out the filler pipe. I guess it really messes up the fuel guage.

I must admit, I kept on doing that, filling up to extreme fill up, only a few times after that, and it was never on purpose. So when ever the gas station's auto shut off engages, don't try to squeese in too much after that. I have noticed that some people will pry their fuel cap under the fuel housing to keep the fuel pumping in the "hands free" mode. What would happen if the auto fuel cut off didn't work? There would be gas all over the place... Oh how about those people that keep their car running while they are gassing up...

The things we do to our cars...

Keep on truckin'

Mitch
2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD
Titanium Green, Artic Grey trim
Adopted 17 September 2005.
Gave her up 1 November 2007, Got her back 4 February 2008.
Sold again 26 November 2009, upgraded to 2009 Ford Flex Limited.
Catch me at https://www.fordflex.net

Ken

Fuel gauge and Check Engine light problems

Post by Ken » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:27 pm

Mine started in today after two mild episodes of gauge error a month or so back. Today it was flopping around like a headless chicken, maybe 5 times to drop and come back up in a bit, then it stayed on the bottom long enough for the CHECK ENGINE light to lock on. Only 30 miles from home, so I called the dealer service department to tell 'em my problem. She (Yep, a She type person) started in telling me I'd have to switch to Chevron gas (I use it) and add some TECHRON to the tank to clear it up. Heck, I just did that a week ago!!!! She didn't like my attitude about me having to add $7 worth of techron to every fill up like she told me I'd have to do. She hung up on me.

I pulled in at the dealer service department and talked to the guy - not her. He started the same song, second verse, just like a parrot. I told him I could put up with a flaky gas gauge, but I don't like that light coming on 40 miles out in the boonies! He told me more or less I'd just have to put up with it. I kinda got red faced and fervent, telling him it was a design fault, not bad gas! HE walked off and left me.

I went inside, but no luck. I had choice words for Ford and instructions on where they can stick their fixes! Me, I'm, unhappy as can be! LEMON!!!! STUFF IT, FORD! My Focus never did that kinda stuff, and never was in the shop with troubles! No expensive additives, either!

Then the MAN service manager called us and told us to bring it on back and he'd personally run diagnostics on it right on the spot. He did. He cleared the fauilt light, too, saying it's the gas sender unit that gets dirty from high sulfur gas. He also told me to dump that old station where I been buying gas and go to a new one a few miles away. Good idea.

AZ Freestylin'

Re: Fuel gauge and Check Engine light problems

Post by AZ Freestylin' » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:52 pm

Ken wrote:Mine started in today after two mild episodes of gauge error a month or so back. Today it was flopping around like a headless chicken, maybe 5 times to drop and come back up in a bit, then it stayed on the bottom long enough for the CHECK ENGINE light to lock on. Only 30 miles from home, so I called the dealer service department to tell 'em my problem. She (Yep, a She type person) started in telling me I'd have to switch to Chevron gas (I use it) and add some TECHRON to the tank to clear it up. Heck, I just did that a week ago!!!! She didn't like my attitude about me having to add $7 worth of techron to every fill up like she told me I'd have to do. She hung up on me.

I pulled in at the dealer service department and talked to the guy - not her. He started the same song, second verse, just like a parrot. I told him I could put up with a flaky gas gauge, but I don't like that light coming on 40 miles out in the boonies! He told me more or less I'd just have to put up with it. I kinda got red faced and fervent, telling him it was a design fault, not bad gas! HE walked off and left me.

I went inside, but no luck. I had choice words for Ford and instructions on where they can stick their fixes! Me, I'm, unhappy as can be! LEMON!!!! STUFF IT, FORD! My Focus never did that kinda stuff, and never was in the shop with troubles! No expensive additives, either!

Then the MAN service manager called us and told us to bring it on back and he'd personally run diagnostics on it right on the spot. He did. He cleared the fauilt light, too, saying it's the gas sender unit that gets dirty from high sulfur gas. He also told me to dump that old station where I been buying gas and go to a new one a few miles away. Good idea.
Hi Ken,

First of all... Welcome to the boards.

Second.. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't take that kind of attitude from any dealer of any car. I would simply go to another dealer who appreciates my business and listens when I have a concern, no matter how minor. I would say however calling you car a "Lemon" is a little harsh. My previous car was a VW Passat and I also have fuel problems and other various bugs that cropped up within the first year. After they were taken care of, I had 4 more years of trouble free driving. Heck, even my Freestyle has had it shares of visits to the dealer, but since then I have had over 6 months with nothing but trouble free driving.
Peter

05' SEL Norsea Blue / Light Gunmetal / Shale Cloth / FWD / DVD / Moonroof / Remote Starter and other cool things.

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:16 am

You're right, of course, but their "If I want your opinion I'll tell you what it is and tell you when I want to hear it" attitude would make the Pope have a cussin' fit! refusing to talk to me about the Service Engine light set me off big time! I'll admit I did wax fervent and flowery in my opinions of their selective "Pay Attention" I was used to Skyilne Ford in Dallas, where we were treated with utmost respect at all times when we lived up there. We dealt with professionals there.

The next nearest "one stall "dealer is 25 miles north, and you have to call ahead and wait for an appointment. The next one has a dirt lot and is at Rusk, 34 or more miles east. After that it's 50 odd miles north to Tyler where they have some big, busy dealerships. Me, I might resort to waiting until we have to go to Dallas, which with the wife's mother like she is, is liable to be quite often until she's passed on. At the rate she's going, it might not be too long. She's 96 and having moderate but damaging strokes. Anyway, that's why we were in Dallas yesterday.

That Skyline Ford there on Thornton freeway east has the best service I've ever seen, but doesn't help me when I'm down here in the piney woods 115 miles away.

Four years of flawless service from our Focus cars kinda spoiled me. Both the SE sedan and the ZTW were flawless in every way. IF, and that's a BIG if, you could stand their stiff, jarring, noisy ride, that is. At 70 and 75, we couldn't take it anymore.

Ken

Ken

gas aguge/ service engine light!

Post by Ken » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:39 am

30 miles, and the gauge is doing it's porpoise act and the service engine light is back onnnnn! I just disconnected the negative terminal on the battery long enough for it to reset itself, but that is not a fix. It'll be baaaack! Next spell of gauge porpoising, it'll be right back on. I have 3,415 miles on our '06 FWD Freestyle now. No sense in going back to our local dealer, because they don't want to hear about me already using Chevron and already using $13.50 worth of techron extra per tank full. They do not like to hear from me, as I tend to loudly tell 'em not to feed me those mule biscuits, get on the phone to Ford and get a FIX!

.Oh, the techron plus that only treats 12 gallons is $5.60 plus tax at Wal Mart, as oppesed to a dollar more at Autozone. It takes TWO bottles, or $11.20 plus tax at Wal Mart, so that's a lot of extra money! C'mon, Ford, design a workable gas sender unit, since we seem to be stuck with high sulfur gas now, and it isn't compatible with our high dollar new cars! What we gotta do, all start ridin' bikes and plant flowers in these new cars? This big white Freestyle would make a very expensive planter! ! ! ! The city down here would probably ticket us for littering!

Oh, the GM dealer here says thay are having the same troubles too, and it's not gas brand specific. They are all causing trouble! It ain't just our Fords that need some redesign work on the fuel system parts. Let's hear it for out Oillionaire Prez and the government that allows them to start putting out high sulfur gas again!!!! Yessir, they need those alltime record profits. I guess the price on Lexus and Mecedes cars went up and they need a new all time profit level for this year, too! And the next, and the next, and so on, ad nauseum! DANG!

Renee Galligher

Post by Renee Galligher » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:53 pm

We had problems with our fuel guage not registering full after having filled the tank. This happened twice to us. The dealer could not duplicate the problem bu replaced a sensor anyway. First fill after this replacement, same problem. What we've done - and has prevented the problem from occuring is to make sure the key is completely out of the ignition when filling the tank. When inserting it, we first turn it to register all readings, then turn over the engine. This was advised to us by the dealer and for whatever reason works. They claim it has something to do with the electronics in the key ??? We do know that if we jump in and start it right up without the intermittent check between that the fuel guage registers incorrectly. Go figure.
Dark Shadow Gray Metallic AWD LTD
Black Leather Interior
18" Pirelli's

Ken

gas gauge

Post by Ken » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:18 pm

Same thing happened to us twice. I looked here and saw something that reminded me to take the key OUT and leave it out until the fill is completed. We log every service and every gallon, but we decided we could just wait to get the odometer readings and zero it until after the gas up was completed. One job at a time until the refill is done and over with. Never happened again.

Oh, and the gauge resumed normal operation after about 4 or 5 start and runs each time. Sure taught us a lesson! I bet some nerd in the electronics design department giggled himself into a real case of the jollys over that little booby trap! May the fleas of a thousand camels infest his backside and his fingernails fall out, then be cursed by a long, flea infested life! May he grow a big hairy hump on his back and his fleas be indestructable from the third, even unto the fourth generation!! May he and his horde live a very long life! 'Bout drove me batty! ('Course, that probably ain't too hard to do- - - . Drive me batty, that is)

And no, the dealer didn't believe that could happen. I'll never disturb his sleep again!

nibyak

Post by nibyak » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:40 am

My six-year-old Ford Focus also doesn't register the fill up if the key is in the ignition. I have also read on the Ford Truck forums that some of the trucks also have this quirk. Since my speedpass is on my key chain I don't have this problem. Here in Virginia, I haven't had any problems with the fuel gauge on my 2006 Freestyle. I've had it since January and am approaching 10,000 miles. I usually use Exxon gas because it's convenient and they take the speedpass.
Bill,

2006 AWD

Only a rich man can afford cheap tools.

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:32 am

I got an email from Ford yesterday afternoon, asking for my phone number and when could they call me to talk about our gauge/engine light troubles. Next time you hear from me, I'll bet it'll be from a talking mushroom! They gonna try to put me back in the dark and feed me bull biscuits, I'll bet you! They been sittin' on this bad sender problem since 2004, refusing to fix it, so I'm sure they just want to stonewall me. This is my 7th new Ford product, but I'll bet it's my last. Hyundai, Honda, or Toyota, here I come! I'm going for a good warranty on a real quality car next time!

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:47 pm

Gas gauge malfunction/check engine light

Reply from Ford:
They asked for both phone numbers and best calling times. Looked GOOD!

Then after I gave 'em the numbers, they wrote me that they could not determine what my complaint was!!!!!! Ohhh my, I had a furriner that couldn't understand Texican! Or whatever language we use down here. Oh, me oh my!

I sent 'em my sad story again, and then today they said they had talked to the wicked witch of Palestine, the service department woman. They told me to go back to the dealer the next time it acts up and she would see if it needed anything.

Holy mackerel! They couldn't read my letter! They never understood a thing I said! I said most of my problems were the dealer service department and their attitude, and I told them in no uncertain terms I'd NEVER go back to All Star Ford here in Palestine! They never got the faintest glimmer of what I was talking about! And all these years I thought that just because they taught English where I went to school, that's what I spoke! Apparently not!

Well- - - .

I decided at the last fill up I'd go for broke and used the proper amount of techron plus another bottle - 3 in all, and after the gauge quit twice 2 days back it was just fine on the 110 mile round trip to the doctor's office in Tyler. I had to go in so they could check this recalled pacemaker.

Not a flicker out of the Freestyle instruments. Worked like a new watch! Pcemaker's doin' OK too - what little of it is still turned on. At least it'll tell 'em what hapened if I expire, anyway.

Yep, you heard it right, even my pacemaker is terminal. It's on the recall list from Guidant! Don't matter, as they said it only had about 6 months of battery left any way and the features that could hurt me if it did short out or try to run away were now turned off. What th' heck? If I don't need it, what th' heck is it doing in my chest???? Either I missed something or I'm expecting too much!

Oh, the Freestyle: It ran letter perfect. Not a single hicky showed up. We don't get tired and stiff after an hour in it, either, unlike the little Focus we did have. Just like the pacemaker, it's doing fine.

Believe me, though, I've talked to an awful lot of people down here, and they were all in agreement that I should never have gone near that dealership's service department. Horrible reputation! Now, just why didn't they tell me before I bought a car from them? Don't y'all just love all these "You shoulda" and "You shouldn't have" comments that always come after the fact! ! ! !

We're new down here and don't know anybody past the real estate lady that we bought our house through. Sad experience. . . .