Diagnosis: DEM module "needs replacing"

peg645

Diagnosis: DEM module "needs replacing"

Post by peg645 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:30 am

Hope I'm in the right section of the Forum.
I have a 2006 Freestyle AWD and love it.
This week, several lights came on the dash all at once - at the same time the speedometer stopped working - brake lights, ABS, airbag. However, the speed control continued to work.

Live alone and this is my only vehicle. And as you might guess, am not mechanical. After Googling and seeing some suggestions on here, hoped it was just the replacement of the ABS module. Also had a wheel bearing replaced last year, and had read elsewhere that that, too could set these lights off. (Have had consistent brake replacement issues, but that was it...until now.)

Had first taken it to a little local shop where I had done the brakes last year. Couldn't get a code for it. My usual Ford dealer in my local high end town, where I bought the car from, was too busy last week to fit me in. So I took it to another dealer in the other direction, who seemed to be more sensitive to not just ordering up every high end issue. They tested the ABS module and that read fine. Set an appointment for yesterday to do more investigating. They thought it was a wiring bundle in the rear that was defective - they said it was kind of mangled? and would need more time. In the meantime, they returned it with the speed control no longer working. Also, while awaiting the appointment and driving this week, occasionally the transmission would not shift properly at times, like from low to drive on a hill - it stayed in low. I figured it was because the vehicle couldn't discern the speed. I could pull over, turn it off, start it up, and that would fix it.

Just got the bad news, and I am beside myself. It needs a new DEM module, which also means a rear oil pump. The parts alone total over $1600. :cry:

This car has 111,700 miles on it, new tires this winter :cry: , body and the rest of the car are in great shape, and it's paid for, but I have serious financial obligations right now. The dealer was able to wire it back up so the speedometer is working, and there is one light that remains on. But they told me the AWD will not be functioning. And on the hill I live, that's a must come winter. And also useful at times in the summer.

Questions: 1)Is this anything I can see if used parts would be ok for, and a private shop might try? I don't know who to use for this. The brakes and oil changes are the only thing I've gone to the little local shop for.

2) Is it worth spending over $2500 on this car? I love it, would probably look at a newer version to replace it, if I could find one. There seem to be a lot driving around out here. But realistically, I have no way to buy a new one.

3) Should I get another opinion? I live in a rural area, and frankly have no reason not to trust these Ford dealers locally. They've charged me only $45 for the two days' work on it so far. Are encouraging me to look at getting another vehicle rather than having it repaired.

I am so bummed out. Thanks for your wisdom.

PS Anyone know if there was a TSB for this, and if it's possible for a recall?

peg645

Re: Diagnosis: DEM module "needs replacing"

Post by peg645 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Going to respond to my own question here, since I've searched further. Have found the mention to Xemodex rebuilding the DEM module. So I'm already making calls and think I've even found a good Volvo mechanic...

So my next question is, if Ford says the oil pump in the rear also needs replacing, is that the case? Or only Ford's requirement, and shouldn't be necessary if I have my DEM rebuilt and replaced?

Thanks!

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:34 pm

Actually, Xemodex has a protocol for testing the pump. It's in here somewhere, but if you're sending your DEM into them for testing/repair, just ask them. Basically, you hook a 12V source up to the pump and check the amperage draw. I can't remember how many Amps is the max allowed, but it's not much, like 3 or 4 A max. However, if the pump is failed it's normally readily-apparent when you hook it up to a 12V source. If you need a pump, the Volvo part# can be had for MUCH less than the Ford equivalent.

All that said, I'm not entirely sure that either diagnosis is correct--but Xemodex will test the DEM and tell you if it's OK. It sounds like there's an electrical issue upstream from the DEM controller, but it's hard to diagnose stuff over the internet... I will say that it seems a bit unlikely that both the DEM and pump would fail at the same time. If your DEM is OK, Xemodex will just charge you the shipping and diagnostic fee.

Regardless, definitely have them change the AWD fluids, front PTU/Bevel gear, rear differential and the Hadlex fluid and filter while they're working around in there. Good luck! and let us know how it goes.

DanfromSterling

Post by DanfromSterling » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:12 am

Peg645,

Based on what I have found appears the Ford Part: CONTROL UNIT Part NO.: 7F9Z-4C016-B (is part you need) is part of the differential assembly. Cost wise you can purchase the whole differential asy used for $200 to $400 + shipping through ebay or a junk yard. Get the lowest mileage you can based on price. If you search for: FREESTYLE CARRIER ASSEMBLY REAR on ebay. Here is link to one as example: 61,000 miles for $225 + shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-FREESTYLE ... p=mtr#shId
Your best bet may to call junk yards locally to save on shipping or call junk yard on ebay and talk with them. Some junk yards could even provide cost to install and replace. Before purchasing have who will install and price lined up. Also, most junk yards give you 90 day standard warranty and you can buy extended warranty if you want from there. Good Luck. Dan from Michigan

peg645

Post by peg645 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:48 am

Thanks to all for replying. I'm still driving around with this by-passed for the time being...
Found a mechanic who can do Volvos, but is unsure about working with this company if the module needs replacing. He's been tied up, is thinking about whether or not he wants to take this on, so I've waited until after the 4th. Other issue is, he's a 50 mile drive, and I'd have to get another vehicle in the meantime... I've given him copies of all the discussions here and my repair comments from the dealer. Will share these last two comments and see what he thinks. Thanks!

peg645

Re: Diagnosis: DEM module "needs replacing" - Finally Jumpin

Post by peg645 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:48 pm

OK, dropping the Freestyle off tomorrow, to have the shop remove the DEM, do the test, and maybe send to Xemodex. I have the flowchart from Xemodex, and will give that to the shop. They have several pages of discussions on this forum.

Been riding around with the DEM bypassed all summer. Just couldn't do without the car this summer, and just now got the funds to do the work at this level.

Any further recommendations? Anyone have to do this in recent months? Guessing I'll also call Xemodex in the morning first. Thanks!

peg645

Diag: DEM module - UPDATE Xemodex no longer taking them!!

Post by peg645 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:22 am

Just got off the phone with their sales rep. Says they no longer will take the Ford DEM modules - not doing Ford parts. :cry: Why???

I will have to give this car up. Not paying Ford $2500 for replacing it to "maybe" get it right. :evil:

peg645

Post by peg645 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:31 am

OK - trying to think this through. Still give the Xemodex flow chart to the mechanic, to determine the part? If it is the DEM, or REM, can the software for a used/junk part be recalculated for my car?

swespace

Post by swespace » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:07 pm

I do not think i have any oilpumps but will look for sure tomorrow. However, i do have a couple Freestyle Haldex AWD ecu's (with solenoid, sensor and screws).