If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

OBD II Fault code P0171 and P0174

joenyansah

OBD II Fault code P0171 and P0174

Post by joenyansah » Wed May 15, 2013 8:43 am

My 2005 ford freestyle has 149,674 miles on it and is indicating check engine light on the dash. When I put the ford IDS VCM on it, it gave me OBD II Fault code P0171 and P0174.

I noticed that sometimes when driving, it will begin to idle when you accelerate.

Does anyone has an idea as to how to get that fixed.
Joenyansah_2005_Ford_Freestyle_Limited

Africa_FS_07

Re: OBD II Fault code P0171 and P0174

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:43 am

these cars seem to like spitting out the two codes you listed, based on reports in the past by some members.

see how i fixed mine in THIS TOPIC, especially in page two.......i suggest you start with the Fuel Filter.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

joenyansah

Post by joenyansah » Thu May 16, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks very much. In fact that is exactly what I was also contemplating of doing because I had recently changed the fuel pump in less than a week. However, I have also read " THIS TOPIC" as you suggested but will first want to start with the fuel filter.

Thanks once again.
Joenyansah_2005_Ford_Freestyle_Limited

Matts06FS

Post by Matts06FS » Fri May 17, 2013 5:17 am

Yes, I would start with the fuel filter first, it is an easy replacement. I just got done doing a little research on the codes you listed and apparantly it is a fairly common occurance to have the intake manifold gaskets and the o-ring on the EGR valve leak and throw those codes. There are a few good videos on youtube that diagnose the codes and detail the replacement of the EGR valve and intake gaskets. Take a look:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoEclinic?feature=watch

InCoGnIt0

Post by InCoGnIt0 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:16 am

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0171
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0174

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry. There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor Possible cracked vacuum or PCV line/connection Faulty or stuck open PCV valve Failed or faulty oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1) Sticking/plugged or failed fuel injector Low fuel pressure (possible plugged/dirty fuel filter!) Exhaust leak between engine and first oxygen sensor

A code P0174 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry. There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.
Black 2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD