If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

ABS/Trac Control Light Since Rear Wheel Hub Replacement

JeremyH

ABS/Trac Control Light Since Rear Wheel Hub Replacement

Post by JeremyH » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:13 pm

2005 FORD FREESTYLE LIMITED AWD

After successfully spending a few hours today replacing the rear passenger wheel hub because of a noisy wheel bearing, the ABS and Traction Control light are on. Also, on the dash it says "Check Trac Control." The replacement is an aftermarket wheel hub (new).

The ABS and Traction control worked fine this morning until I changed the wheel hub.

To Note: I did not disconnect the battery before doing the job, I probably should have. After test driving and discovering this issue, I disconnected the battery hoping to reset the error on the computer but after reconnecting the battery I am still having the problem.

Is there a DIY fix for this?

I checked the wire going to the sensor and everything looks fine. I did not touch the wire or sensor when doing the job.

Wheelman

Re: ABS/Trac Control Light Since Rear Wheel Hub Replacement

Post by Wheelman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 am

How long did you disconnect the battery for? I'm hearing 30 min. minimum. I have also heard that the replacement part must be Ford compatible or else you get a light. I can't remember who else, on this forum, had a similar problem replacing a bearing.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:13 am

welcome to the best car forum,

Wheelman is perfectly right about the bearing thing, looking at the experience of another member here: ABS/TCS Lights ON after Bearing change.

the member there replaced a bad one with an incompatible aftermarket type, then the naughty lights switched ON and stayed on, even leading to drivability issues......they went off only after the right ford compatible part was used.

that's the DIY fix.

please come back and let the forum know afterwards if these solved the problems or not.

BTW, you will find this FAQ/DIY link very useful in the future.

you might also like to leave a few lines here too: Past/Present cars.....
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:54 pm

If you have access to a scan tool that could pull the ABS codes, along with wheel speed--that would be helpful. You could also test this with a multimeter, but it's not easy since the wheels have to be moving.

Most likely, you have an agreement error between the two wheels' speed sensor. It could be the replacement hub (the sensor ring could be defective, pressed in too far/close, or even be of a different configuration than the original). It could also be that dirt etc. is blocking some of the signal from the older (non-replaced) hub, and the signal from both simply deteriorated over time. Changing one hub results in a disparity in signal output between the two wheels.

You probably need to get a handle on the signals coming from the wheel speed sensors before you start throwing parts at the equation--it could just as likely be the old hub causing the issue.

Here's a good article on diagnosing WSS:

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Article ... nsors.aspx

JeremyH

Post by JeremyH » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks everyone, I wasn't expecting this quick and level of response. You guys are awesome!

I just disconnected the battery again and I'm going to leave disconnected for at least an hour tonight before trying again. I'll keep you posted if the computer resets and if I still get the error.

Last night we got our first fall snow - 4" of snow so the roads are slippery, could have used the traction control today.

In recollecting on the maintenance job, I'm 95% sure I did not damage the old sensor. I don't even remember seeing it? The new wheel hub just bolted onto the steering knuckle with no visibility of the sensor.

Jeremy
2008 Honda CRX450X

JeremyH

Post by JeremyH » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:08 pm

After an hour I reconnected the battery and "Check Trac Control" was still on the display. The only thing I can think of is when I pulled the old wheel hub off, the axle was resting on the bottom of the steering knuckle hole which is where (I presume) the sensor is closely located.

Does anyone have instructions on how to replace the ABS/Traction control sensor? I guess my next step is to go buy one. I'm not convinced that there is a compatibility issue with the aftermarket (non-Ford) wheel hub.

Jeremy

JeremyH

Post by JeremyH » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Here is a photo showing the sensor behind (to the left) of the wheel hub.

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:43 am

This may be just a shot in the dark, but when I replace my ink cartridges on the computer printer with
other than Epson (printer brand name), I always get the message that I am using the wrong cartridges,
and do I want to go on. I enter "yes" and everything is fine. You may have a similar problem with the new
hub, if that is the case you may need a re-flash. I don't know much about either computer so don't take
my word for it, I might be wrong, just a thought.

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:56 am

First off, wow--where do you live!?!? Looking at those photos I'm reminded of how nice it is to live somewhere where cars don't rust! That must make working on pretty much everything more difficult as bolts get hard to remove....

The speed sensor is held in with one bolt, then you just wiggle it free, follow the line and unplug the sensor. Installation is the same as removal.... The sensor travels along the subframe of the car, and the entire sensor is accessible outside of the vehicle.

It's possible you damaged the sensor--but it's also possible that there's a problem with the mounting ring on the new hub, or dirt on all of the other sensors. A VSS doesn't cost much, so you're only out $40.00 or so if that's not the problem. Still, it would be good to know which wheel is causing the code. There's no reflash necessary, and you shouldn't even need to disconnect the battery when changing hubs.

Here's another link you may want to check out, which details how to check the sensors from the ABS module: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf9ygGnJ ... re=related

Lastly, you may want to go into engineering mode (if you don't have a scanner) and see if you're getting a DTC. That right there may tell you which wheel is responsible for the ABS light.

JeremyH

Post by JeremyH » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:57 pm

These two links from SKF provide a really good overview of ABS sensors. I'm going to look at the impulse wheel which is part of the shaft on the 2005 Freestyle as opposed to part of the wheel hub unit shown in these diagrams. Hopefully I'll be able to find something to help me out. Unfortunately I can't tonight so it'll be tomorrow night.

http://www2.vsm.skf.com/~/media/Files/e ... 12_15.ashx
http://www2.vsm.skf.com/~/media/Files/e ... 16_22.ashx

It's looking like it has nothing to do with the wheel hub, but potentially my installation of the shaft back into the hub.

I'll keep you all posted.
Jeremy

JeremyH

Post by JeremyH » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:15 am

What happened was very simple. When I pulled the axle out, it dropped onto the ABS sensor and must have busted it. I replaced the sensor and now the ABS/Traction Control works.

Febtober

Post by Febtober » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:07 am

Hi all,
I am having a similar issue. I replaced the rear left hub, drove it around and did not NOTICE the lights on. Then I replaced the rear right side hub, lights came on as soon as the engine was started.

Does this indicate a bad bearing or a bad sensor, since the car was not even moving when the lights came on? I certainly could have smashed the abs wire during the process. Yes the hubs were cheapies :oops:

The left bearing I replaced was not bad, so I could reinstall it if signs pointed to the hub, but I hate to waste the time if it is more likely a sensor.

I read in one of the many threads on this topic that someone said Ford says to leave off the "dust rings" when replacing hubs. Does that refer to the thin gage metal cover on back that covers the spline and bearing? I could see the sensor getting a better signal, but that just does not seem like a good idea.

Thanks all!
Febtober

Febtober

Post by Febtober » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:08 am

Sorry, mine is a 2005 FWD
Thanks again.