If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

HELP, codes and the Freestyle is running funny

01amberfirewv

HELP, codes and the Freestyle is running funny

Post by 01amberfirewv » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:36 am

We packed up the Freestyle and headed south for a 2 hour trip and the Freestyle started running funny. It does feel like the transmission but I'm not sure because I'm so used to a normal transmission. When driving it would kind of let go if that makes sense. We got the wrench on the dash so I headed to Auto-zone to see if there were any codes and he got these too.

P2106 Throttle control system- forced limited power. Throttle actuator control system is in FMEN mode of force or limited power.
Probable cause
1-Open or short circuit condition
2- TACM motor stuck open or closed
3- Other system fault/failure

and P061B Internal control module torque calculation performance error.

The ECM has detected an internal calculation error.

Probable cause- check other service codes first.

On the way home we got the wrench and the CEL.

I changed the air-filter the other day and also cleaned out the TB by putting some sea-foam on a rag and rubbing the black stuff off. I also put a little in the hose between the intake and engine block thinking it was just a normal vacuum hose.

Imperial Death Star

Re: HELP, codes and the Freestyle is running funny

Post by Imperial Death Star » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:14 am

YOu might have rubbed in some mucky black stuff into a sensor. I usually take out the TB and spray it at an angle to remove gunk. Try it , your codes are definitely from the TB
2005 FreeStyle SEL AWD - Red Fire-110,000 miles
2001 BMW 530i (Titanium Silver) 129,000 miles
1998 Volvo V70R-(Vader Black)201,000 miles (retired)

01amberfirewv

Post by 01amberfirewv » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:04 am

Imperial Death Star wrote:YOu might have rubbed in some mucky black stuff into a sensor. I usually take out the TB and spray it at an angle to remove gunk. Try it , your codes are definitely from the TB
Where is the sensor? I just removed the TB but am not sure what all I am looking at. See pics below
Last edited by 01amberfirewv on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

01amberfirewv

Post by 01amberfirewv » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:03 pm

What is the hose on top of the TB for? When I disconnected it water came out.

01amberfirewv

Post by 01amberfirewv » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:04 pm

The also what is the tube sticking out inside the intake for? I has some gunk on it

dmckmc

Post by dmckmc » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:45 pm

Your finger is pointed to a coolant hose connection. The 'water' you saw should have been green coolant. The tube you see in the bottom pic is from the EGR valve. Cleaning is good but I don't believe that is causing your code. I would double check that you had the throttle body plugged in properly and make sure the butterfly is operating smoothly. Also make sure you reconnectd all the intake housing and MAF sensor properly. The fact that the problems started after you had the throttle body off to clean it leads me to belive that something just wasn't reassembled properly.

The code causes listed for P2106 are: unplugged motor, circuits shorted to power; TAC motor open, unplugged motor, circuits shorted to power; TAC stuck open or closed; MAF sensor fault; Throttle position sensor fault; MAP sensor fault; Module communications network concerns. The P061B code is strictly a result of the first code.
Last edited by dmckmc on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

01amberfirewv

Post by 01amberfirewv » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:52 pm

I only see one connection which is connected to the black box outside the butterfly. It seems to be in as good as it can be. Everything else seems to be fine. There is a lose hose on which is connected to the coolant hose I pointed out earlier but it looks like a drain hose of pressure relief hose. The only other electrical connection I see looks like the mass air-flow sensor but I didn't mess with it.

Someone on a Ford site said that there may be a related TSB. How does that work? I'm guessing ours is no longer under warranty with 49,000 miles so it would be on our dime wouldn't it? If so could we take it to a trusted independent mechanic or does it have to go through Ford?

Imperial Death Star

Post by Imperial Death Star » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:44 pm

SInce you have it out now , use some Throttle body cleaner and spray out the TB. Let it sit 30 minutes and replace. Pull off your negative battery terminal ,to reset CPU module and see how your FS runs. If you still have problems then seek Professional help. Good Luck
2005 FreeStyle SEL AWD - Red Fire-110,000 miles
2001 BMW 530i (Titanium Silver) 129,000 miles
1998 Volvo V70R-(Vader Black)201,000 miles (retired)

01amberfirewv

Post by 01amberfirewv » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:38 am

Saturday night I sprayed the TB pretty thoroughly with STP TB cleaner and wiped everything down. After replacing it I removed and re-installed the air cleaner box and double checked the connections. The Style ran fine Sunday both to and from church with out any problems so hopefully one of you guys are right. My wife drove it to work today so we will see how things

KAH

Post by KAH » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:59 am

The recent newsletter by RockAuto gives a brief discussion
on the throttle body and shows a current part listing for it,
at least for our 2007 Freestyle.

Their listing is as follows:

2007 FORD FREESTYLE SEL 3.0L 183cid V6 FI (1) :
Fuel/Air : Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor

The price seems very reasonable. Can someone please
give more information regarding this installation ?

Thanks,
Ken H.

dmckmc

Post by dmckmc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:53 am

The accelerator pedal position sensor is not the same part as the throttle body. The gas pedal of the freestyle unplugs electrically as a unit. The pedal itself contains the position sensor. The throttle body has throttle position sensor, two different items. I found a used throttle body from an '06 Montego via a junkyard search network, it was $200.