If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Wet Drivers Side Floor

klruff1

Wet Drivers Side Floor

Post by klruff1 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:07 am

Searched the website but didn't see anything specific to the drivers floor being wet. I dont have water leaking from above me, I have rubber floormats and they are not wet , but carpet dead center under mat has been wet. Can't figure out where the water is coming from, the sides of the carpet don't feel wet, just the center of the floor under my feet/floormat. Will pull up the carpet when I get a chance to see if I can find the source but anyone else have this problem and know where the water is coming from?

Thanx.
Keith in NJ
2006 Freestyle Limited

BrettS

Re: Wet Drivers Side Floor

Post by BrettS » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:47 am

That is a rather tough one. A couple of thoughts to get you started, though...

First, has it been raining lately or have you gone through a car wash or anything? If not, then it's likely not water coming in from the outside. If so, then you might have someone try to spray that side of the car with a hose while you sit inside and see if you can spot any leaks.

The other possibility is that it's coming from your air conditioner. The air conditioner evaporator coils are typically inside the vehicle (normally above the passenger side footwell) and they will generate water from condensation... especially on hot and humid days. There is a drain that allows this water to run out under the car, but occasionally that drain gets plugged and the water then overflows into the car. Almost always this water will wind up in the passenger footwell and not the driver's footwell, but I'm not entirely certain how things are placed in the freestyle and it's possible that there is some path that allows the water to go to the drivers side. If it's been very humid and you've been running your AC a lot lately then this might be the cause. You might want to check to see if water does drain from the bottom of the car after the AC has been running for a while. If it is draining then this is probably not the issue.

tmad

Post by tmad » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:45 pm

BrettS is on to something. It seems to be a Fordish problem. Had the same happen with an old Crown Vic II work car and my otherwise trouble-free 1998 Taurus.
Grn/tan 2007 Freestyle SEL FWD

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:13 am

You might check this out from over on the Tarus furum.

http://www.fordtaurus.net/forums/viewto ... =4&t=11002
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

klruff1

Post by klruff1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:56 am

Pulled the carpet back on my drivers floor, bottom cushion was wet. No real signs of water stain as to where the water is coming from. Did note there was water sitting around the front left rubber drain plug, I re-sealed that plug, another 2 plugs, as well as all of the seams. I sprayed a hose directly into the wheel well, on the floorboard and firewall. No water came through. Also ran the hose on the moonroof and heard the water drain, nothing came inside the car. No signs of water coming from the center console behind the controls. Car sat in the rain all night, sometimes heavy. Check the floorboard again, no water. Go figure. When the carpet was wet, I had been driving on a business trip 10 hours, sometimes through heavy rain. At one point I hit a major puddle that sprayed water hard under the floorboard, I wonder if water pushed it's way in or if there is indeed a seam in the firewall I can not see that is letting water leak in. Funny thing is, as I said before, only the bottom of the carpet was wet, so signs of water working it's way down. I got it all dried up, used a hair dryer too, and put it back together. Will monitor the situation.
Keith in NJ
2006 Freestyle Limited

WI05Freestyle

Post by WI05Freestyle » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:04 am

my 01 Taurus had a leak in the rear roof weld that caused water to come in the rear seltbelt hole when it rained hard/car wash :shock:

Bad weld.......
03 Ford Explorer Limited V6
06 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
05 Ford Mustang V6

FordTaurus

Post by FordTaurus » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:06 am

According to report from other members, there is a problem with the drains from the moonroof, contributed by the raised shaped roof. If a Freestyle is parking on a slope either direction during a downpour of rain, it will not drain positively and will leak into the interior.

Someone in this board had a professional to do a redirect drains job!

I have not have the problem yet, because mine is garage kept and my vicinity land are mostly flat.

klruff1

Post by klruff1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:49 am

More confusion, or maybe narrowing down the problem. After everything was dried out and put back together, I drove the car for a day and a half then checked under the floormat and alas, the carpet was showing signs of being wet again, dead center. We had no rain of any kind after I reassembled the car, so water is not coming in from the moonroof or undercarriage, must be the a/c? After shutting off the car, I do see water dripping from the firewall area in front of the drivers side floor. Where is the drain for the a/c? The a/c drain must be the source, just need to find it. I'm thinking of pulling back the carpet again and driving with the floor pan exposed so I can visually see where the water is coming from. Frustrating.
Keith in NJ
2006 Freestyle Limited

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:28 am

Did you check this?

From the 500/Tarus site

My 2005 had the same problem I located the source, and found it was coming from the ac evaporator core/heatercore box which is directly behind the radio and heater controls. If you look just to the right of the gas pedal you can see the bottom of the box meets the firewall. There is a foam seal that seals out weather, the problem is the drain spout which exits out the firewall (about 2 inches long) is slightly angled upward which allow the water to drip right back down the drain spout toward the firewall and then the foam that is supposed to stop water from entering the cabin becomes saturated with water and begins to drip inside the vehicle.I fixed this by taking a hose that snuggly fit over the drain spout and I put a hose clamp on it just to make sure. I did about 2 weeks ago and no wet floor!!! Just a bad design so hope this helps!

Intimidater67
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

klruff1

Post by klruff1 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:11 am

Thanx for the help, my leak was being caused by this same issue. I watched as water ran out the tube through the firewall, then back down itself and onto the foam seal. Pulled the carpet again and that was the source of the water. Took the car to my friends shop, got it on a lift, and hooked up a tube with clamp to get the water to drain down past this seal, more down towards the bottom of the firewall. Also used some silicone seal around the foam seal edges to keep water from easily entering the car.

Thanx for the help!
Keith in NJ
2006 Freestyle Limited

DanfromSterling

Post by DanfromSterling » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:19 am

My wife's freestyle had 2 inches of water in the floor under the carpet on passenger side. Wet vac close to 4 gallons worth of water. Trying to dry out with a heater now. It appears to be coming in from rain water. I assume it's weld seams leaking near the cowl drain tube.

Anyone else have this issue? I had this same issue last year during rain season and thought it was the rear wiper hose grommet in this area. I sealed this off with plumber seal from inside. So that is why I thinks it's weld seams. Also some of the seam appears to be wet when I looked at it. Seams are in a difficult location to reach from engine compartment and would have to take the IP out to get to from the inside.

Any suggestions from others with this issue?

HHR

Post by HHR » Mon May 23, 2016 8:47 pm

I have discovered this wet footwell carpet issue and have been driving around with the carpet removed to try and pinpoint the source. The foam around the evaporator drain does feel wet after running the AC for a while but I haven't gone on a long trip to see if this is just condensation or is an actual leak.
I double checked sunroof drains and they are all working perfectly.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:47 am

I had the wet driver's floorboard on my FS when I bought it. I don't have a moonroof, so I applied the fix suggested above from the Taurus site and never had the problem again. I used a molded rubber hose that had an "L" shape to it so it turned the drain downward. That was ~2 years ago.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

Galvatro

Post by Galvatro » Wed May 25, 2016 8:37 pm

Hello All!

Had this same problem during the summer of 2015. Wasn't quite sure what was going on until I searched the Internet and came across this forum. Performed my version of the "fix" discussed in "Water leak wet drivers side floorboard AC – SOLVED! Part 2" thread since I don't want to go through another summer where we have to keep towels under the driver's side mat to soak up water!

This afternoon, I put the front end of the Freestyle up on ramps. Located the drain for the AC evaporator behind one of the AC lines. The line is very close to the drain, but there is room for you to get your arms and hands into the area. My version- took "dum-dum" (similar to plummer's putty but used in automotive waterproofing applications) and put a good amount around the drain. I covered the weather-proofing foam entirely, spreading it from the exposed firewall metal to the drain and smoothing it out as I went.

Next came the drain tube extension. To get additional tubing attached, you have to have some flexible tubing to clear the AC line. Looking at the drain from under the vehicle, I decided to attach and run the tubing toward the left and dropped between the transmission insulation pad and a subframe cross-member (dropping out below the steering linkage as another way of looking at it). My makeshift drain tube was a 12" piece of split wire conduit (it was the only thing I had on hand that would fit). I notched one end at an angle so that I could clear the AC line. Leaving about 2" of it for that purpose, I taped (black duct tape) the rest of it to the other end. I attached the makeshift tube at 2 points with zip ties. Done.

I haven't had the chance to see if this solves the problem yet. Didn't have to drive anywhere today, but the wife will be driving it tomorrow. I believe the "dum-dum" would be fine by itself, but why let the water keep dripping against it? Also, I want something that seals better to the drain as I had to let the wire conduit keep a slight split to attach it. Being the case and considering the 5/8" hose was snug for Member drealbmw in his fix, I've thought about trying this from Lowes: Samar 3/4-in x 1-ft PVC Clear Vinyl Tubing Item #: 652380. I can install the new tubing and get a clamp for safe measure. I'll get it on before she leaves and check it when she returns.

For any of you having this issue- give the "tube" fix a try. It's fairly easy and doesn't take long. Hoping the waterproofing putty and tube ensure that the driver's side wet floorboard never happens again.

Ash.

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Wed May 25, 2016 9:22 pm

I had to look up dum-dum. Is this what you're talking about? http://amzn.to/1RsaJdC