If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

CVT fluid change - instruction!!!

axel

CVT fluid change - instruction!!!

Post by axel » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:23 am

Hi guys! AS I have abosolutely NONE mechanics who can be familiar with Ford's CFT30 transmission, I found the following and think this will be useful for everybody and easy to understand. (This was honestly stolen from Ford Forums :D )

2005 Ford Freestyle – CFT30 transmission

This procedure was developed based on AllData professional database. This is a fluid only change draining 5qt of 10 qt capacity and refill. A 60K change includes a case filter replacement not covered here. The concept is to drain and replace the same amount of fluid that came out, assuming no leaks. Cross check is done by monitoring fluid level on dip stick.

Materials:
5 qt of Motorcraft XT-7-QCFT (it’s specific to only the CFT30, no substitutes)

Tools:
3/8” socket extension ~13-14”
Suitable breaker bar(s)
T-40 Torx tip socket
Funnel with plastic tip extension

Procedure:
1) Begin with a cold engine.
2) Remove air filter housing connected to air intake and move aside.
3) Use 3/8” extension(s) with breaker bar to remove filler plug located on the top center of CVT. Mine was painted blue. Initially I tried a 3/8” breaker bar but then went to ½” bar 17” in length. Spec is 26‘lbs. The 3/8” breaker bar may work with a pipe extender.
4) Remove the filler plug and put the funnel with extender (as needed) into the fill hole.
5) With Parking brake on, start the engine while holding odometer reset button. This puts the display into Engineering Mode. Toggle reset button (~19 times) until Coolant Temperature C shows on display.
6) Check level via dip stick located near filler hole while engine is running. Shift through all gears and leave in Park when checking level.
7) The level should be between the two holes on the dip stick (this will not be true if the CVT is up to full temp of 88-92C). Monitor fluid level while engine warms. It will rise somewhat with temperature.
8) The spec says it should be no higher than the upper hole and no lower than the bottom hole at CVT fluid temp of 43-47C. This is 10-20F above body temperature so the CVT should be ‘slightly’ warm to touch. My coolant temp was about 80C when starting from 70F ambient, idle time ~5-10minutes.
9) Shut off engine and remove drain plug from pan under driver side. Torx T-40 with 3/8” breaker bar did the job nicely. Spec is 18’lbs.
10) Drain into a clean pan that holds more than 5 qts. After fluid inspection fill into suitable containers to verify amount. Mine was exactly 5 qts. I used a stainless mixing bowl and inspected the bottom of the pan for any metal.
11) Replace pan plug. Torque accordingly.
12) Refill CVT from the top. If the fluid removed was more/less than the 5 qts make adjustment accordingly.. If you need more, take used fluid from the clean pan.
13) Replace filler plug. It snaps onto 3/8” extension for easier replacement. Torque accordingly.
14) Restart engine and monitor coolant/transmission temperature again while checking dip stick level. Shift through all gears, leave in park. This time the CVT temperature will be higher due to residual heat from first pass. Verify fluid level to be the same as first observed.
15) Reinstall air filter housing. Test drive and done.

Notes:
Verify this applies to your application and check for any TSB's issued.
C = Centigrade, F = Fahrenheit. Don’t confuse these. I used F for ambient and body temperature.
AllData says the CVT fluid is ”bluish-green when new and will darken to darker green…not brown or black. Odor will not indicate heat damage or concerns.” “Do not overfill.”

Observations:
My used fluid was a light-medium brown, not dark green as AllData indicates. There was no odor other than slight hint of oil. New fluid was blue/green. There was no metal in the drain pan. The CVT fluid is synthetic and comes from Germany per bottles.
Greetings from Russia! [sorry for my poor English]
2005 Freestyle Limited AWD Titanium Green with around 80K miles

tucker

Re: CVT fluid change - instruction!!!

Post by tucker » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:23 pm

The "Engineering Mode" you describe is a neat feature. One thing I did note in your write-up is that the "Engineering Mode" only shows you Engine COOLANT temperature. While the temperature specs you have listed are for the CVT FLUID Temperature.

Although there is a correlation between them, I'm not sure that the COOLANT temperature will be the same as the Tranny Fluid Temperature especially once the engine is turned off.

I believe that there is a transmission fluid temperature sensor, I just don't know how to get a reading on it. Does anyone know how to read this sensor?

axel

Post by axel » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:22 am

I think that the fluid change can be done on a "cold engine" - just merge the tranny fluid, let it cool, let the engine and tranny cool too and replece with the same amount of fluid. Its a common procedure for a most part of trannys as my mechanics said.

The feature of the written above is a step-by-step instraction of what should you or mechanic do exactly to chage fluid, not about the temperature only, because you can find how to avoid temperature mesarument I presume.
Greetings from Russia! [sorry for my poor English]
2005 Freestyle Limited AWD Titanium Green with around 80K miles

ScotSHO

Post by ScotSHO » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:25 am

SO nobody has changed their own CVT filter at 60k? My Freestyle is close to 60k and I'd like to do this myself. It sounds like the filter isn't necessarily accessed from the pan, it sounds like it is accessed from the side of the transmission.

Anybody have any details or possibly pictures?
Thanks,
Scot (Fellow Ford Fanatic)

07 Mustang GT Convertible 5 Speed
05 Freestyle AWD Limited - Alloy Metallic/Black, DVD, Sunroof, Audiophile

KAH

Post by KAH » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:59 pm

As I understand it, there are two filters on the Freestyle transmission, one internal and the other external to the transmission.

Since the internal filter is probably not much more than a screen, why even bother with it ? It looks like it might be more work than it is worth.

But if the external filter was changed regularly, would this be adequate ?

I realize that thoughts of this nature are probably heresy to this board but I thought it best to bring up the subject.

Possibly just changing the external filter might be all that is required.

Has anyone who has actually changed the internal filter found enought crud to make the job worth while ?

I have no problem changing the external filter but I question the merits of doing the filter ( screen ? ) inside the pan unless there actually is a buildup of material to be removed.

Ken H.

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:43 pm

Had the 60K sevice done, they only changed the pressure filter, which I suspect is the "external" filter
Last edited by mmsstar on Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

glenncof

Post by glenncof » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:08 am

I did this original write-up. Now getting ready for second change at 60K miles.

First, I'm now confident to just drain the CVT. Measure what comes out (5 qt.) and put in 5 qt's. Shall I say..'quick & dirty' ?

I think it might be better to drain at operating temp (200F) rather than 100F anyhow.

Second, I'm not planning on changing case filter until ~100K. I read you need to pull the battery/tray to get access to the cooler lines which must be removed. The case filter looks accessable with diver wheel off, right next to the half shaft.

My assessment is there is likely little reward to doing this. I did a pan filter at 100K on automatic tranny and filter was fine, some pan sludge which I believe was from torque converter. In this case...if you see stuff in the filter, I suspect you have a problem well beyond the filter replacement.

Nevertheless, I'll drain the CVT into a stainless pan and look for sediment/sludge. The fluid at 30K had nothing in it.

WI05Freestyle

Post by WI05Freestyle » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:44 am

My 500 had a TSB done due that was paid for by ESP, of around 1200. They drained the fluid and added new fluid. This was done at about 50k, and I am at about 65k now. Don't need to worry about changing the fluid/filter I figure until maybe the fall..or later
03 Ford Explorer Limited V6
06 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
05 Ford Mustang V6

ScotSHO

Post by ScotSHO » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:06 pm

Sounds good, I'm going to order up the CVT fluid and tackle this job in April.
Thanks,

KAH

Post by KAH » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:14 pm

Sounds good, I'm going to order up the CVT
fluid and tackle this job in April.

Scot:

I would appreciate it if you would list the source
and prices for both filters and the CVT fluid.

Thanks,

Ken H.

ScotSHO

Post by ScotSHO » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:38 am

Here is a good link with a couple of decent drawings showing the dip stick and fill plug.

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/p7v ... ansmission
Thanks,

jas88

Post by jas88 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:06 am

I did just the 5qt swap at 60K, I have also found there is little reward in changing transmission filters, and a CVT doesn't have clutches like a normal auto trans, so there is even less crud to be circulating around in there. I decided to just change the 5 qts every 20K miles going forward and let it go at that. I am now at 80K so it's time to do it again, plan to do it tonite, bought the fluid yesterday. Last time mine took about 6 oz. short of 5 qts. I *might* do the pressure filter at 100K just to say I did it, that's easy to say now, my opinion may change when it is actually time to get dirty and do it.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

ScotSHO

Post by ScotSHO » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:37 am

I noticed amazon.com has 12 quarts of the fluid listed at $105 with free shipping. This sounds like a good price, has anyone done better?

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-XT7QCF ... B00130R80G
Thanks,

jas88

Post by jas88 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:55 am

OK, I just did the 5-qt swap last night and I did it hot. I did it hot last time, too, but I did not want to tell y'all you did not need to follow the cold-hot procedure and then have my CVT fail. Well, it's now 20K miles later and the ol' CVT works as good as new, so no harm.

Really, the only reason to follow Ford's recommendation to a "T" is to very correctly measure the fluid you take out and know how much to put in so you don't overfill. But I just figured there could not be that much expansion in the fluid between hot and cold and there is not, especially when we are only talking about 1/2 the CVT's fluid getting replaced. Getting it right on the dipstick is the most important thing anyway and you measure that hot so I figured I would save time and get more out by doing it hot and just make sure it is right on the dipstick. Mission accomplished.

Oh, yeah, I had a good look at the external filter while I was under there and I don't see a big deal replacing it. You will need to take the hoses loose from their bracket and I it will be a lot easier if you take the left-side motor mount out as well. I am doing this at 100K miles.

My fluid coming out this time was still brown but a much lighter shade than at 60K so swapping the 5-qts did seem to make the fluid quite a bit cleaner. Rock on, Freestyle.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

TANGOJETTA

Post by TANGOJETTA » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:32 am

Just order the CVT fluid from Amazom, hopefully it's the 12 quarts for $95.00
2006 AWD LTD with everything except the sunroof.