Keypad Entry Code

trial62

Keypad Entry Code

Post by trial62 » Wed May 21, 2008 2:00 pm

I purchased a Silver 2006 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD in March. I love my car! I do have a problem though with being the second owner. The driver's side door has a keypad entry feature. Since the previous owner set the code but didn't pass that code along to the dealership, is there any way I can reset the code without taking it to the dealership and paying through the nose? Right now I'm unable to use this feature.
2006 Silver Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
Purchased 3/10/2008

UltimateX

Re: Keypad Entry Code

Post by UltimateX » Wed May 21, 2008 2:48 pm

There is a little card that is in the owners manual that has the code. Hopefully that is still in the manual. If not, I believe that there is a sticker on the cars computer that has the code. I am not sure where it is, but problem up under the dash somewhere. The dealer can retrieve it with the diagnostic computer, but that will probably cost you.

Good luck

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Wed May 21, 2008 3:56 pm

You should not have to pay "through the nose" or any other way to get this code.

The original factory code always works regardless of what an owner might do in adding a second one. The factory code is supposed to be on a glovebox card that's included with the owner's manual. When I took delivery of my new '05 FS back in June of that year, that card was not in my glovebox. The dealer's service manager told me over the phone that he didn't know why that card wasn't there but that he routinely records the code in their computer system for every new car they sell that has such a keypad, and he told me the number, at no charge, over the phone.

The owner's manual says that the code is also written on the "control module," but it doesn't say where that is. I would think, however, that you could take your Ford to any Ford dealer and they would take 2 minutes to show you where it is and not charge you for doing so. There should be no need to hook the car to a computer to "read" the code in some fashion. If you bought your used FS at a Ford dealer, the dealer should not only be willing to show you where the code is written at no charge, he should be glad to do so.

dbokun

Post by dbokun » Wed May 21, 2008 6:18 pm

I purchased my 2005 in March. The dealer did not have the code. The ford dealer had a "machine" to put it on and I needed to come back in an hour or so to get the code erased and reset.
2005 F/S LTD AWD bo't 3/2008
2005 ES Lexus

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Wed May 21, 2008 6:33 pm

Did they charge you anything?

dbokun

Post by dbokun » Thu May 22, 2008 4:00 am

No, they did not charge me. They even set it up with our new code. This was probably the reason why I purchased a used ford dealer from a ford dealer.
2005 ES Lexus

Homey237

Post by Homey237 » Thu May 22, 2008 4:10 am

The exact same thing happened to me when I purchased my 2005 Ford Freestyle. A dealer close to my home offered to do it for like $75.00 The dealer I purchased the car from, much further from my home, offered to do it for nothing but I had to bring the car into them.

I negotiated that the dealer 2 miles from my home do it for free and the dealer I purchased the car from reimbursed them. The dealer who sold you the car owes you that much.

trial62

Post by trial62 » Thu May 22, 2008 4:48 am

Unfortunately, the car was purchased from Carmax and not a Ford Dealership. There were no manuals in the car and I had to order new ones online. So consequently I don't have the original factory code or a relationship with a Ford dealership. I even called the Ford "helpline." They weren't very "helpful" other than to tell me to make an appointment with my local Ford Dealership. Carmax wasn't very helpful, either. I was only given one remote and one set of headphones for my DVD player. When I told Carmax that the car originally came with two of each, they offered to sell me a new remote ($60) and a new headset ($75). Needless to say, I didn't take them up on that "deal."
Purchased 3/10/2008

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Thu May 22, 2008 4:52 am

Go to a Ford dealer and ask them to point at the control module for you. The number should be printed on it. Should take 30 seconds of the dealer's time.

trial62

Post by trial62 » Thu May 22, 2008 6:31 am

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I have to take it in to have the door latch recall taken care of so I'll ask them about it then.
Purchased 3/10/2008

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Thu May 22, 2008 6:46 am

Now that you are a Ford owner, whether you bought the vehicle from them or not, I would think they would want to engender your goodwill so that you will get service done there down the road. Showing you where the door entry code is written is a simple and inexpensive way to do this, and it is a perfect thing to ask them while you're in there for other service.

thegoldenhand

Post by thegoldenhand » Thu May 22, 2008 10:38 am

When I bought my FS, it didn't have the code as well. Took it to another dealership near my place and they plugged a device that extracted the code. Handed it to me written on a piece of Ford paper. Free of charge.

LarryQW

Post by LarryQW » Thu May 22, 2008 11:18 am

There was another thread on this a while back.

The original keypad code is on the back of the control box that is under the driver side dash. The number cannot be read directly, and needs a mirror and flashlight to see it. One guy stuck a camera up to take a picture, and it saved him from having to stand on his head reading backwards.

Once you have the original code, which is fixed, you can change or reset any personal codes. The instructions are in the manual. Incidentally, I download all my manuals in PDF from MyFord web site. It's much easier to use computer searches to find things, and you can make the print as big as you want. Here's a direct link to the manuals.
Owner of Taurus X Limited - Ice Blue Metallic

dbokun

Post by dbokun » Fri May 23, 2008 5:13 am

trial62: About that only one remote issue....My car only came with one too. I asked the ford dealer for a 2nd one, and with in 5 minutes that had me one, programed it, and gave it to me for free. You can locate a remote on ebay for hardly any $$s. You can also get the remote on the key - this is on a thread in this site somewhere....
Good luck getting your keypad working!
2005 ES Lexus

american.tuscani

Post by american.tuscani » Fri May 23, 2008 11:03 pm

do a search on this site for key codes. There is a thread on exactly where to look for it on the computer under the dash. Thats how I did it. It was worth the effort. And it was FREE