Drain Plug Torque

tim156

Drain Plug Torque

Post by tim156 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:22 pm

Anyone know the recommended ft-lbs torque for the oil drain plug? Nothing in the owners guide. I've noticed it stops when tightening with a socket so it might not need to be torqued. I purchased a torque wrench primarily for the lug nuts and since I have it I want to use it for anything else I can. I checked and re-tightened the lugs today. I really over tightened them by hand when I last rotated the tires.

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:11 pm

I'll be honest - I've never torqued a drain plug except by hand with a normal 3/8" socket wrench. Just snug tight is all I ever do. Part of the problem is I'd never have enough leverage room to use something with a long handle while lying under the car. Good and snug by hand, but not gorilla tight. Just there to hold the oil up.

andy
A "Ford" and 3 "Honda" Family in NH

04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 5k miles
12 Honda Civic LX Coupe 5k miles (son's)
13 Acura MDX SH-AWD 1k miles

Previous - 07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 68k miles (traded)

tim156

Post by tim156 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:51 am

Snug with a socket is what I do too and never a problem. I raise the car on to ramps to change the oil (helps drain the oil to the back of the pan) so I would have the space needed. Like you, I don't really think it's necessary, I was looking for a reason to use my new tool. I converted to full synthetic so I'd only need to use it twice a year.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:40 pm

Some cars have a copper washer that keeps them tight using a wrench or ratchet should be good for most oil drain plugs.
Jon
07 Freestyle Limited FWD Black/Black
13 Ford Focus ST Performance Blue/Black
96 Mustang Cobra White / Saddle (SOLD)

Fandango

Re: Drain Plug Torque

Post by Fandango » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:15 pm

This is an old topic, but for future reference, it is 19 ft-lbs, according to Amsoil. This page is also a great reference for capacities and specifications.

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/VehicleL ... REESTYLE+1