If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

2006 FS only runs if there is vacuum leak

halfbrit

2006 FS only runs if there is vacuum leak

Post by halfbrit » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:38 pm

I replaced the spark plugs and EGR valve on my sons 2006 freestyle. I did not do the relearn procedure as I didn't know about it at the time. He got in and drove about 5 miles just fine. parked it overnight it cranks but no start unless hold full throttle then super rough.
I disconnected the vacuum hose after the throttlebody and it runs ok. It probably would drive like it is but obviously is not right.
I attempted the relearn procedure but wouldn't run long enough with vacuum disconnected.
basically I think it is running too rich.

DanfromSterling

Re: 2006 FS only runs if there is vacuum leak

Post by DanfromSterling » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:26 pm

I think you May have crushed vac line when you put upper intake back on to change rear spark plugs. Vac line that runs down middle of intake and easy to pinch when rebolting upper intake on reinstall. I did this on one of my freestyle. Took back apart and put vac assembly from parts car in and took more care to make sure did not pinch. Ran fine after this.

halfbrit

Post by halfbrit » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:14 am

Thanks for the reply.
I took the whole intake off. I didn't know you could take just the upper off. Doh :oops:
but I don't think I pinched anything in there?? Because it did run fine for the first trip after working on it.
I'm kinda thinking it is computer or TPS related.
I'm wondering what happens if you drive it before it relearns the tps?
does it save the the messed up values for the next time you try to clear?
do the new values come from a hard written memory on the ecm?

DanfromSterling

Post by DanfromSterling » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:57 am

Picture with notes to show issuse I had. Car ran rough because line got pinched when reinstalling upper intake. Took back apart and installed used vac line assembly from parts car I have.
Attachments
Capture+_2019-12-28-09-53-13.png
Capture+_2019-12-28-09-53-13.png (407.21 KiB) Viewed 352 times

halfbrit

Post by halfbrit » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:02 pm

Gotcha. Thanks I'll check that

halfbrit

Post by halfbrit » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:58 pm

I took it all back apart. Put fresh plugs in there. Put everything back together made sure nothing was pinched. but alas, it still won't stay running unless I create a vacuum leak. wondering if I need a reflash of the ECM??

halfbrit

Post by halfbrit » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:07 pm

DanFromSterling I think you are correct in your diagnosis. Long theory... Even though it is not pinched now. That vacuum line goes to the fuel pressure sensor. It probably was pinched and caused the the fuel pressure sensor to think There is a demand for more fuel pressure and probably over pressurized the fuel line and damaged the sensor. Now the sensor displays low fuel pressure when fuel pressure is actually High. Therefore send more fuel signal to injectors causing a rich condition. Adding a vacuum leak leans the circuit enough to offset the rich condition caused by over-pressurized injectors. This is theory, I will install new sensor on Wednesday. I'll be busy but hope to post back.

halfbrit

Post by halfbrit » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:26 pm

Changed fuel pressure sensor twice second time with ford part. still showing low fuel pressure warning but has high pressure.
I took it to dealership to be reflashed but they said that wont fix a signal like that but I cant think of what else it could be other then maybe a broken wire??

halfbrit

Post by halfbrit » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:37 pm

After more poking around diagnostically. I added a 5v power supply to the ref side of the fuel rail pressure sensor and have it running perfectly. But I don't know why I have only 1volt on my 5v reference from the ECM? would it be a bad ECM or Could it be it needs reflashed to adjust the voltage to proper limits? Any Ideas?