If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Need help with fluid level

Gator417

Need help with fluid level

Post by Gator417 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:02 am

About a year ago I swapped TCUs on my AWD '06. Never got it to run and had to leave town. Yesterday I was able to limp it down the road about a block and back. It moves in both forward and reverse but its not quite right. It also pops into gear really hard even though the car is idling at ~1000rpm. It feels like a regular AT with low fluid, but I don't know if these respond the same to low fluid. So a couple questions;
1) Could this be because my "new" TCM is from a FWD?
2) Since I can't drive it until its warmed up, how can I accurately check my fluid level?
I have looked around for answers and will keep looking, but thanks for any help I can get.
Gator
'06 AWD SE

Jim likes catwalks

Re: Need help with fluid level

Post by Jim likes catwalks » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:20 am

Hi it will warm up to operating temperature evenidling but probably take half an hour or so. The clunk could be the top engine restraining bar coming from under windshield cowling to aluminum bracket which runs vertically down to engine the rubber bushing is famous for wearing out number of fixes posted. I stuffed some rubber in mine which stoped clunk until it fell out. Another fellow bought a tube of urethane and squeezed it in both sides. Hope this helps. A question is your car showing the orange wrench. Which indicates limp mode. And does it go Away ever. Was that original issue before you changed TCM?

Gator417

Post by Gator417 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:59 pm

Thank you for the reply.
The car was originally shutting down on highway trips because the temp sensor in the TCU was tripping. It got worse and worse for about a year. I changed the fluid, both filters and installed a "new" TCU. I had to leave town before I could troubleshoot it. After sitting for a year its got a few issues, but I think a new battery will fix some of them. It will drive, but it just seems like its not getting any power.
It doesn't really clunk as it would with a bad motor mount. It just jumps into gear hard like it would if it were idling high and was put in to gear.
Thanks again,
Gator
'06 AWD SE

jas88

Post by jas88 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:59 am

When you say "TCU", do you mean the Mechatronics unit inside the CVT?
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

Gator417

Post by Gator417 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:57 am

Yes, the unit that is integral to the valve body.
Gator
'06 AWD SE

Gator417

Post by Gator417 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:36 pm

Last night I warmed it up and checked the fluid. It was low so I added a quart and took it for a spin. It started acting up and the wrench light came on after about 3 miles. I limped it home and checked the fuild again. Its now at the bottom of the crosss hatches. Its throwing P0701, just like before.
Gator
'06 AWD SE

Deckard_Cain

Post by Deckard_Cain » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:26 am

Gator417 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:36 pm
Last night I warmed it up and checked the fluid. It was low so I added a quart and took it for a spin. It started acting up and the wrench light came on after about 3 miles. I limped it home and checked the fuild again. Its now at the bottom of the crosss hatches. Its throwing P0701, just like before.
Gator
You've been using the proper CVT fluid for it I would imagine? yes? I don't know the answer yet, but perhaps these mechatronics units need to be calibrated or reprogrammed/reinitialized after installation. ???

Gator417

Post by Gator417 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:54 am

I've been using the Valvoline CVT fluid fr this tranny. I got it to drive enough so I can check fluid. Now I just have to figure out why it keeps giving me the wrench light and going into limp mode.
Gator
'06 AWD SE