If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

What is this?

PaulGoldstraw

What is this?

Post by PaulGoldstraw » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:22 pm

New to this forum. I've just bought a 2006 Freestyle and need help from some experts here.
Can someone tell me what this is?
It has a connector with a single red wire going to it. I found the insulation on this wire was damaged and wondering what it is and what it does
sensor.jpg
sensor.jpg (142.72 KiB) Viewed 2269 times

Deckard_Cain

Re: What is this?

Post by Deckard_Cain » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:34 am

Can't quite tell.. where on the engine are we looking here? backside, near water pump/thermostat?

Given the grounded block...and only one wire, if I had to guess I'd say that's a noise suppressor for the ignition system (or another high voltage circuit) so as to not cause interference with the radio or other RF system, keyless entry, et al.

dwighte

Post by dwighte » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:39 am

It could be a temperature sensor or a knock detector. You should be able to find it in the diagrams at the end of the electrical manual.
Dwight

Deckard_Cain

Post by Deckard_Cain » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:37 am

dwighte wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:39 am
It could be a temperature sensor or a knock detector. You should be able to find it in the diagrams at the end of the electrical manual.
Dwight
I just got the '06 FSM and wiring diagram book... will look when I get a chance and post what I find.

PaulGoldstraw

Post by PaulGoldstraw » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:54 pm

I've found out what it is - ignition coil capacitor - to eliminate noise from the ignition getting to the sound system. - strange shape for a capacitor.

Now to more serious problems - Code P0430 - camshaft position sensor circuit error. The sensor has been replaced by the person I bought the car from so I'm concentrating on the rest of the circuit - ground is good so I need to get to the PCM to check the wiring from the sensor to the PCM - I know where the PCM is but what's the easiest way to get to it - Do I have to remove the windshield wipers?

Deckard_Cain

Post by Deckard_Cain » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:38 am

PaulGoldstraw wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:54 pm
I've found out what it is - ignition coil capacitor - to eliminate noise from the ignition getting to the sound system. - strange shape for a capacitor.

Now to more serious problems - Code P0430 - camshaft position sensor circuit error. The sensor has been replaced by the person I bought the car from so I'm concentrating on the rest of the circuit - ground is good so I need to get to the PCM to check the wiring from the sensor to the PCM - I know where the PCM is but what's the easiest way to get to it - Do I have to remove the windshield wipers?
That's what I found in the service manual as well- capacitors can be any shape, I've seen them on cars for ignition systems being cylinders and rectangular blocks.

I'll check the actual service procedure for accessing the PCM connector.

dwighte

Post by dwighte » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:44 am

You'll need a puller for the wipers. A small gear puller works.
Dwight

PaulGoldstraw

Post by PaulGoldstraw » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:46 pm

I've been able to get to the PCM and measured with a test meter - the wiring to the camshaft sensor is good. So - the sensor is good (new sensor), the wiring is good - this would leave the pcm itself?

Deckard_Cain

Post by Deckard_Cain » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:31 am

PaulGoldstraw wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:46 pm
I've been able to get to the PCM and measured with a test meter - the wiring to the camshaft sensor is good. So - the sensor is good (new sensor), the wiring is good - this would leave the pcm itself?
Quite possibly...but before I condemned such an expensive part, I'd want to see live sensor output while the issue is present to validate the findings. If you can see the output from the sensor and it looks fine, but the pcm detects otherwise and still sets the code, then you've got something.