If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

No Crank Problem

slowgsxr97

No Crank Problem

Post by slowgsxr97 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:56 pm

I bought this freestyle off of a friend for my nephew. They had just put a junkyard engine in about 2000 miles before I bought it. I put in a new battery, tires, control arms, ect.....

It has always ran good. I put an abs sensor in it tonight as it was the last thing on the list before test driving and handing it over to him.

As luck would have it I have a No Crank problem out of the blue, ran perfect last week. Like I said it had always started fine. With the ignition on the engine light flashes 8 times. When you turn the key the seat belt, oil, and engine lights are all that is on. No starter noise, or anything. Battery is new and load tests fine. My scanner shows 0 codes, stored or pending.

dwighte

Re: No Crank Problem

Post by dwighte » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:27 pm

It sounds like the security system. Do you have another key to try?
Dwight

slowgsxr97

Post by slowgsxr97 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:35 pm

Yes, I have tried both keys. Security light is normal.

slowgsxr97

Post by slowgsxr97 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:45 pm

I got way ahead of myself when I made this post. Working 12 hour days has me frazzled.

It was a fluke the problem showed itself when it did. The ground wire was completely loose on the starter.

It doesn't explain the engine like blinking when the key if forward, but starts and runs perfect.

Does anyone know if the flashing engine light is a stored type code? Or how it works? From what I gather, I believe its from just replacing the battery and the computer not ready for emissions testing. Any thoughts?

dwighte

Post by dwighte » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:44 pm

Once you've disconnected the battery, the car will need to do some minor stuff like learn the throttle body and check the oxygen sensors. It also needs to run the evap test. This one is annoying. Just driving around town is not likely to run it. My mechanic told me that I just needed to drive it for a few days and it would run. It is a little more complicated than that.
First the fuel tank must be between 1/4 and 3/4 full. You must start the vehicle cold ( like over night ) and then run it at more than 45 miles per hour for about 10 minutes continuously. When doing this test avoid sharp turns and bouncing around much. This can cause the gas to slosh around too much and abort the test.
You need to get a reader to see if the test ran before taking it to be checked.
My driving to work never went over 35 miles per hour and I don't think I drove continuously for more that 5 minutes between lights. When I looked it up I realized why it wasn't running the test.
Dwight