If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Start engine (while in the car) without transmission?

K4uwc

Start engine (while in the car) without transmission?

Post by K4uwc » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:31 pm

I have the CVT out as I check to see if it's worth keeping. The input shaft bearing surface looks clean so that's a start.

The rest of the car is a mystery as I bought it non-running. The previous owner replaced the transmission so there is plenty of evidence he wasn't Mr Goodwrench with missing bolts and some cut wires. I thought I'd see if I can get the engine to start and if it lights then I may put the transmission back in to see what will happen.

I actually have 2 transmissions and one has a broken half which bolts to the engine. It looks like they tried to pry the bellhousing off and cracked it. So my thought was to bolt it to the engine so I could use the starter. Then put everything else back together on the engine.

Will the computer even let the engine start if it gets nothing from the CVT harness? I'm guessing at a minimum I'd need to do a bypass of the neutral switch to make the computer think it's OK to start. This could be more trouble than its worth but I'd like to try it before going through the hassle of putting in the CVT.

So... hints/tips on testing the engine without the transmission attached?

jas88

Re: Start engine (while in the car) without transmission?

Post by jas88 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:33 am

You won't be able to do that as the starter mounts to the transmission bell housing.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

K4uwc

Re: Start engine (while in the car) without transmission?

Post by K4uwc » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:46 am

Yes... I have 2 transmissions. One with a broken bellhousing so I am taking that bellhousing that and bolt it to the engine as a holder for the starter.

I know without a transmission and torque converter that the engine will spin fast so I'll be careful that.

My question is what electronic requirements are there for the computer to prevent the engine to start if it doesn't "see" the transmission? I just want to get it to idle for a few seconds to verify the engine is OK before going through the work to clean and reinstall the transmission. My expectations are very low that the transmission is usable so I definitely don't want to invest time to mate it to a bad engine. The car should be in a salvage yard so all I'm investing in it is labor but I do want to get as many good parts off of it as I can before it goes to the junkyard.