If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

AC Compressor

OntarioTX

AC Compressor

Post by OntarioTX » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:34 am

Hi everyone,

Ran into some trouble on a recent trip. My 2009 Taurus X overheated do to a failing Radiator Fan. Had that fixed. Back on the road and less than 50 miles it started making some clunking noises in the front around the belts/pulleys. AC also stopped working. Had it looked at and my mechanic says that I need new belts, belt tensioner, AC Compressor. I'm in Canada so the parts are quite a bit more $$$ here than the USA. The compressor alone is over $1000, so told repair is $2100. I have 152,000 Km on it and I don't really want to put anymore money into it. Has anyone been able to bypass the AC Compressor? I can definitely live without it. I've searched and I cannot find anything for the 3.5 Duratec motor.

Thanks in advance!

spy1309

Re: AC Compressor

Post by spy1309 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:14 pm

In most of the cars you can bypass it I did it to a Chevy and a Dodge is not scientific as there are no belts made for the car not including AC idler pulley....I took a string and run it around the pulleys without going over the AC pulley with the belt tensioner at 1/2 tight position and took the measurement .....I went to auto parts store and found another belt with that diameter and installed it.....worked like a charm for 2 years, the belt has to be the same or close width.
Also add 1/4 - 1/2 inch extra to make up for the belt tensioner when tight.
Funny part I was living in US when I did that one belt got it from NAPA the other from Pep Boys .

Or you can go to rockauto.com us site and order the parts you need way cheaper and they fedex it in 24/48h in Canada.