If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

CVT issue? Not sure where to start.

Cgill88

CVT issue? Not sure where to start.

Post by Cgill88 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:29 am

Hey all, new member here. I'm buying a used 05 freestyle with 83k miles on it for $200! I had an 07 but the transmission blew up and I scrapped it.

So here's what I'm working with. The car runs and drives no problem, but when I shift into drive or reverse I get a sudden and violent jerk forward or back and a clunking noise. I can take it on the road and drive but it only goes about 40mph max and at high rpms (3-4k). It won't "shift".

I checked the transmission fluid while hot, it was clear and went up to the first little hole on the stick.

I'm considering doing a 500 6 speed swap if the tranny is shot but before I do that I want to ask you all what you think?

ds32928

Re: CVT issue? Not sure where to start.

Post by ds32928 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:48 am

Check for DTC's with a OBDII reader, see if there are any to report, and start from there.

Cgill88

Post by Cgill88 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:19 am

No DTCs at all but I do have some more info. The car I believe is in limp mode. When I turn it on I get the following notification:

Check Trac Control

Also when I run a system check I get:

Transmission Data Error

Trac control light, Wrench, and check engine light are all on. I also got an advancetrac error and once it said something like Trac control data error as well. Any thoughts?

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:03 am

viewtopic.php?t=4755

Transmission Data Error will go away when you find and fix the problem.

Quite a number of failures will put the vehicle in limp mode. I would first suspect a wheel speed sensor being faulty, did you check for DTC's with a OBDII scanner, not just the message center?
Autozone, Advanced auto parts, etc, will check for you if they arent too busy at the time you drop in.

If really no DTC's, then, and only then, I would disconnect the battery neg cable from the battery for 1/2 hour, hook it back up and do the established ECU re-learn procedure, and see if the vehicle enters limp mode again.