Traction Control - Clicking Sound

Woodsman

Traction Control - Clicking Sound

Post by Woodsman » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:20 pm

Greetings all. Nice to be here. Just brought home a 2005 Ford Freestyle SE. Neat little car. Low mileage at 67,000. Driveway is full of snow and driving it up I noticed a clicking sound when the traction control engaged. I had my wife check the tires, and the driver's front was spinning and the passenger rear. I would think the traction control would alternate the drive tires? I've had 4x4 buggies with welded differentials before, but somewhat new to traction control systems. The tires that are on it are TERRIBLE. Sliding all over so I know that will help for next year.

But yea, clicking sound when the TCS kicks in, and not alternating the drive tires. Normal?

Thanks all.

ds32928

Re: Traction Control - Clicking Sound

Post by ds32928 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:03 am

Traction control also known as on demand AWD, will allow both rear wheels to be driven via the driveshaft when the front wheel speed sensors notice a front wheel is spinning. Clicking noise I dont know about. Check the rubber boots over the front CVT joints for tears, a dry, bad CVT joint will click, but usually going around corners on that side. Maybe bad CVT joint is being stressed by front tires spinning, grabbing.

Woodsman

Post by Woodsman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:15 am

ds32928 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:03 am
Traction control also known as on demand AWD, will allow both rear wheels to be driven via the driveshaft when the front wheel speed sensors notice a front wheel is spinning. Clicking noise I dont know about. Check the rubber boots over the front CVT joints for tears, a dry, bad CVT joint will click, but usually going around corners on that side. Maybe bad CVT joint is being stressed by front tires spinning, grabbing.
Ok, I'll pop the tires off and check the CVT joints. But it was only making the noise when TCS kicked in. I'm reading about the noise on other vehicles, and it seemed like that was a common noise. Like the ABS kicking in with the TCS to gain traction.

But when spinning, both rears are supposed to spin? Because that wasn't the case here. I figured one tire would slow down and apply power to the other side like a posi setup. This was just one tire the entire time. It never transferred power to the other side.

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:23 pm

I dont want to be leading you off track here, but the way I understand it, both rear wheels are driven. You are saying that only one rear wheel was TURNING? I can see a rear wheel with a bald tire spinning, while the other one is slowing turning with tread and traction.

I doubt ABS has anything to do with slowing down a spinning wheel. Front wheel(s) spin, rear wheels are driven via Haldex on demand AWD set up. It was 2005, not as sophisticated as today.

Woodsman

Post by Woodsman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:32 pm

ds32928 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:23 pm
I dont want to be leading you off track here, but the way I understand it, both rear wheels are driven. You are saying that only one rear wheel was TURNING? I can see a rear wheel with a bald tire spinning, while the other one is slowing turning with tread and traction.

I doubt ABS has anything to do with slowing down a spinning wheel. Front wheel(s) spin, rear wheels are driven via Haldex on demand AWD set up. It was 2005, not as sophisticated as today.
Driver's front was spinning. Passenger rear was spinning. The other two had nothing. The tires that are on this thing are pure summer tires. I'm amazed it even made it at all. This was happening with 3" of fresh, wet snow, uphill, on a gravel driveway.

TCS works off ABS sensors. They both get information from the same place. When one tire is spinning and the other is not, ABS applies brakes to the spinning wheel to apply pressure to the stationary tire. At least that's how I've read into it. It is 15 year old technology so perhaps things were different then. I figured the clicking sound was the ABS kicking in, applying the brakes, to get the other side to spin.

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:52 pm

Maybe. I let someone else with more experience help you.