Mice in cabin - Solution!

snailman153624

Mice in cabin - Solution!

Post by snailman153624 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:51 pm

FYI, the past several months I've had a problem with mice getting inside the Freestyle. I've had it for years with never a problem, then all of a sudden I was finding evidence. I set traps and would catch them one by one, but every few days another would get in. The car is kept empty/clean and vacuumed, but winter has been harsh around here, so I think they just found someplace warm.

After searching around I finally found how they were getting in, and it's due to a silly design decision on Ford's part...I'm actually surprised this isn't considered a safety issue.

Under the carpet on the floorboard for the 3rd row seats, right where passengers walk and place their feet, are two giant (~6" diameter, possibly a little larger) rubber/plastic PLUGS. These are right above the two halves of the fuel tanks. Well, if somebody stands on them in just the right way, their weight causes the plugs to pop out!

I found one of my plugs completely missing. We had a road trip a few months back, and had some adult passengers in the 3rd row. With this plug missing (it's hard to tell by feel, the carpet is somewhat strong enough to spread the weight around) you can feel a divet in the floor there.

I ended up using some caulking to glue in a big chunk of sheet metal from the top; I managed to slide it under the carpet after pulling out the center console in the 2nd row, then gluing it from the bottom (rather sloppy/messy, but it's underneath, so who cares....I wasn't about to pull all the side panels and seats to pull up the carpet).

Why Ford thought it was a good idea to put a giant plastic plug (think, coffee can lid) in TWO places on the floor where adults will step on them and possibly fall THROUGH the floor is beyond me. The mice would climb up on the fuel tank and between the floor pan and carpet (there's some padding/matting that helps separate the two) and climb out under the 3rd row, or by the seatbelt D-rings, or any number of places.

jas88

Re: Mice in cabin - Solution!

Post by jas88 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:49 am

Why Ford thought it was a good idea to put a giant plastic plug (think, coffee can lid) in TWO places on the floor where adults will step on them and possibly fall THROUGH the floor is beyond me.
IDK what you are talking about - those plugs are there so that the fuel pump can be serviced without taking the tank out of the car and they are underneath the center row seats, not where people are stepping. Are your center row seats removed?
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:24 am

jas88 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:49 am
Why Ford thought it was a good idea to put a giant plastic plug (think, coffee can lid) in TWO places on the floor where adults will step on them and possibly fall THROUGH the floor is beyond me.
IDK what you are talking about - those plugs are there so that the fuel pump can be serviced without taking the tank out of the car and they are underneath the center row seats, not where people are stepping. Are your center row seats removed?
Have a look under your car before you post. I'm not an idiot. Sure the plugs might be for servicing the fuel tank, which is irrelevant, the point is they are plastic and can fall out when stepped on. Every other car I've owned that had an access port the cover was metal and bolted down or tack welded.

They are definitely between the two rows, not beneath a row. I have an 07 if that matters.

Other note....if you have an exhaust leak, this is a means by which CO can seep into the cabin...bad design....

jas88

Post by jas88 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:01 pm

Have a look under your car before you post.
OK, time to fess up and eat crow. You are right and I am wrong. I thought you were saying they are on the floor between rows 1 & 2. They are, in fact, on the floor between rows 2 & 3.

Having said that, I have owned an FS and been on this board since about 2007 and I have never heard of this being an issue. My wife's FS ran up 235K miles before we sold it, it ran the car pool for years and years with lots of kids in the 3rd row, and when I replaced the fuel pump on it for the next owner, at about 250K miles, those plastic plugs were in place. I don't think this is a huge problem, but I do take your point. I think if I were you I would cut a piece of 1/4" plywood the width of the floor in that spot and lay it down underneath the carpet to give a more sturdy floor for feet.

My current DD has 185K miles on it and the plugs are in place. My stepson's has about 220K on it and I will have to check them next time he is at the house.

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:45 pm

If you have tried to remove one of those plugs you know how unlikely it is for them to accidentally come loose.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:10 pm

mmsstar wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:45 pm
If you have tried to remove one of those plugs you know how unlikely it is for them to accidentally come loose.
That's the thing, I didn't try, all it takes is a 200 lb adult to stand on it a certain way and it pops out. Kids probably aren't heavy enough to do it.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:49 am

Is your FS a convertible? Because there is not headroom for an adult to stand up in the 3rd row.

snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:08 pm

jas88 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:49 am
Is your FS a convertible? Because there is not headroom for an adult to stand up in the 3rd row.
All I did was post about a problem I encountered, and how I solved it. I searched and found a few posts about people with mice, but nobody ever posted about how they actually got in, so I thought I would share my experience.

I also clearly stated how I resolved the problem, but you go ahead and tell me how I should fix it anyway.

You've done nothing but call me a liar. Why, I have no idea, but you're either a special kind of stupid, or just a troll. If you have nothing constructive to say, please, stay out of my thread.

I stand nothing to gain by posting, I already resolved my problem. I posted here to help others who might encounter the same problem, not to fend off retarded comments from people who lack basic reading comprehension.

Spam my thread with accusations and insults and I'll ask a mod to delete the stupid posts and close the thread.

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:42 am

I think you are being a little thin skinned here. Thanks for sharing your solution to a problem but your diagnosis of what caused the problem is what comes into question. Also you suggest that it’s a poor design and you played the “Safety Issue” card.
I have been on here since 2008 and on the Flex forum since 2010 (similar floor pan) and you are the first to suggest the plugs can be kicked loose by a passenger.

snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:52 am

It's the truth, deal with it. I'm not here to debate what happened to my car. Just because something didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it can't happen.

I won't bother posting back on here, but hopefully this helps someone who is having the same issue, as opposed to luring in ungrateful trolls, who aren't even experiencing this problem, and who added nothing to the discussion besides lame accusations and insults.

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:43 am

As I said, thank you for sharing your solution. I’m curious as to whether you are the original owner of the car? If not could it be possible that the fuel pump was replaced at some point and the plug left off?
Sorry you feel the need to leave over what was some conversation questioning your conclusions not your solution.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:02 am

I already said you were right and I was wrong about this, I apologize that I offended you further. It's just that neither of us responding here have ever heard of this being a problem so we are just puzzled as to how this could actually happen. If it is as easy to make happen as you say, it seems we would have heard about this before. As mmsstar stated, those covers are hard to remove when you are *trying* to do so.

I have been on this board since about 2007 when I bought my wife the first of our 3 Freestyles that have been in the family. We have 2 in daily operation still.