Is it necessary to change the filter with CVT fluid change?

Woganm

Re: Is it necessary to change the filter with CVT fluid change?

Post by Woganm » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:51 pm

Changeing the two filters and fluid did the codes come back

Woganm

Post by Woganm » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:11 pm

My 2006 ford freestyle running good in till warms up then the wrench light and eng light comes on .then I shut car off and then it good for 10 mins are so .I never changed the filters I had it for 3 years but going to this weekend

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:33 pm

FYI in case you hit on this thread now, the Amazon link to the correct CVT fluid is http://amzn.to/2iQ5YRA and the correct filter is http://amzn.to/2jEWxbK

gotouch.go

Post by gotouch.go » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:55 am

For the question in the title, yes! of course! definitely! It saves the car!
Please change the high pressure filter EVERY time CVT fluid is drained and refilled.
Please let your garage and dealership know the details in this old post.
I wish I had read it in 2012, when the fluid was changed on my Freestyle.

I come back today, to announce my win over this haunted devil on my 2005 Freestyle. I am lazy and along the journey it takes 4 years to get it right, by myself, finally.

The cure, is so simple. Replace the d*** high pressure filter. This morning at 35F as shown on the display I drive the car out without problem.

It is so simple but the garage replaced transmission fluid 5 years ago didn't do it.

The cure, is not hard and I could DIY with the information on this forum, especially the posts about high pressure filter replacement. Reading here really pays off. I hope I read this forum earlier, and more thoroughly.

I also took the chance and dropped the pan and replaced pan filter once again.
The bypass inside filter housing looks OK and clean, but I suspect the pressure is not high enough to open the bypass valve. The spring force on the valve is quite tight. Maybe some design problem there. The high pressure filter is very important. It is small but fluid flows through it entire life. There is oil/dust sludge over the pan, and those sludge is also collected by the high pressure filter thus it can get clogged and cause slow flow. Apparently this should be replaced every time the fluid is drained/refilled.

This was done last weekend. I am slow and spent more than a day on it to ensure everything is right. Was puzzled by putting two bolts right but patience paid and I made it safely without worry.

It is only 81.4k miles right now after 12 years and I now have the chance to double its mileage.

gotouch.go

Post by gotouch.go » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:03 pm

Just to add a bit:

The pan drain plug on my car was T40 bit. I screwed it with a T40 bit and rounded up. Squeeze in a 6mm Allen head and turned it finally. Tried to order a new bolt from Ford dealer but they need to get from Detroit so I didn't wait.

To pull out the high pressure filter I used a ring pliers head with 90degree bending, and used another needle beak pliers to hold and drag it out. Glad it comes out nicely.

Because I dropped the pan, I used almost 7qt fluid (less 100ml) total for the refill. Put in about 5qt 5.5qt, hook up the intake and air box, run the engine and shifting gears, then fill remaining till mid of the two holes on the check ruler. Drive the car to fully warm up and double check the warmed fluid level.

kevhenn54

Post by kevhenn54 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:56 pm

I just completed a fluid drain and replace high pressure filter. Some additiona notes/tips
We torx bolts on the HP filter housing are T27 NOT T 25. That said I could not get two of the bolts off. They were very tight and stripped both. I then forced a 12pt - 12mm socket over bolt and hammered on. The bolt came right off. I replaced with ford 10mm bolts I had laying around.

The transmission fluid plug on top was also very tough. With a bit of pressure it came off.

The HP filter was filthy dirty, really bad.
HP 3.jpg
HP 3.jpg (43.23 KiB) Viewed 389 times
HP 2.jpg
HP 2.jpg (41.51 KiB) Viewed 389 times
HP 1.jpg
HP 1.jpg (135.94 KiB) Viewed 389 times

Rodken

Post by Rodken » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:49 pm

Those are excellent pictures!! Thanks very much!!

Jim likes catwalks

Post by Jim likes catwalks » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:22 pm

That’s what my filter looked like at 213000 kms. I also wrecked a torx head was able to just tack a nut on it then it spun off easy enough would suggest using a 3/8 drive torx socket(number 27) with a hammer impact wrench. They will almost always work. Some wratchets can also be hammered on while turning or a sliding “t” handle driver can be hammered on while turning.

freeforever

Post by freeforever » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:05 pm

I got a set of Freestyle Manuals (vol 1 and 2 and the Electrical manual) and the specs say it takes 10 quarts of CVT fluid. Does that mean that 3 are left in the transmission/torque converter when you drain the fluid? Is there anyway to get it all out?

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:34 pm

Freeforever, yes, some fluid stays. If thats a concern, then do a fluid and HP filter change, and then do another fluid change in a month, to get out what old fluid has mixed with the first new batch. Really not been shown to be a transmisson ending problem to leave the 3+ quarts in that stays, when you get 6 1/2 quarts out.

freeforever

Post by freeforever » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:36 am

thanks, I actually got 7+ quarts out by starting the engine for a couple of seconds while the last little bit of oil drained out.