2005 Ford Freestyle limited slipping acceleration issue

Stormyme

2005 Ford Freestyle limited slipping acceleration issue

Post by Stormyme » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:43 pm

We have had this car for a few months and I love it. Just recently though it feels like it is slipping when accelerating. The rpm gauge does not bounce when this happens, which has me believe it is not a transmission slipping. More like it is missing. It has close to 200,000 miles on it and we do not know if the CVT has been serviced. Any input on this? Thank you

DanfromSterling

Re: 2005 Ford Freestyle limited slipping acceleration issue

Post by DanfromSterling » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:20 pm

Might want to try changing fuel filter and see if still taking place?

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:21 am

Come back with any trouble codes if any from a code reader or use the in vehicle engineering mode which will show DTC's in the info screen in the gauge cluster. Do a search for freestyle engineering mode if you cant get to a chain auto parts store to have them use their code reader at no charge.

Stormyme

Post by Stormyme » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:20 pm

ds32928 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:21 am
Come back with any trouble codes if any from a code reader or use the in vehicle engineering mode which will show DTC's in the info screen in the gauge cluster. Do a search for freestyle engineering mode if you cant get to a chain auto parts store to have them use their code reader at no charge.
Thank you ds32928, I had no idea of either of those options. All my cars have been 80's and 90's. I should have figured these newer type cars would have something like that. ;) I will be back to update this post in a day or so. Thank you!

Stormyme

Post by Stormyme » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:29 pm

OK My guy went into engineering mode and when it got to DTC code it said "Continuous DTC $9352" He said everything after that looked like they all had a code. The list is long, are you looking for specific codes? He made a note of some of them like PCM data $5000 and transmission data $00f0, ABS TT data $0100. But the only code he saw directly after the DTC was $9352.

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:38 pm

Im not sure if data is what will help narrow any problem down. Seems as if PCM data, ABS TT data, is just info on what those items current readouts are.

I have a code reader, so I dont use the engineering mode much. I dont think the $9552 tells much. From memory, after getting into engeering mode, you will see gauge test, needles will sweep, then start pushing the trip reset arm on the instrument display slowly, you will get info show up with each press, until it says DTC's stored, then one more push will say no codes stored, or it will give you a code for each one stored. You may get a list, but I think you have to keep pushing to see more than one, if there is more than one. By the time pushes of the trip reset gets to data info, its past where you will see any DTC's.

Easier with a code reader, can you get to a autozone or advance auto, or have "your guy" if he has a code reader, see what if any codes comes out of the OBDII connector at the bottom edge of the dash, left side of the steering wheel.

Stormyme

Post by Stormyme » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:34 pm

Currently, Metromile insurance is using that OBDII connector. Which code readers are reliable? He is taking it to the mechanic Saturday and I would like to keep him (the mechanic) honest by buying a code reader and running it before he goes.

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:36 am

There are code readers that only give you DTC's, and the ability to reset almost all of them. As the price goes up you can buy readers that will give you a short pre-stored explaination of what each fault code you get could mean, (that info is also easily found on the internet), and top of the line code readers can open the solenoids the in the ABS control module to force the air out of it.

I use two systems, if you have a android phone you can go to ebay, etc, and buy a ELM327 module that plugs into the OBDII port, and then download an app called Torque for $5. The ELM327 sends info to the phone via Bluetooth. There are a few more free apps that will simply show you any DTC's and clear them. I also bought a Launch X431 Creader 3001 from Amazon for $23 with a $5 off coupon on the description page. Middle of the line is something like what they sell at Harbor Freight, ZR13 OBD2 Code Reader for $180 after 20% coupon.

Or, Advance auto or Auto zone for free. I post this as info only, I cant say which code reader is best for you or your friend, just sharing my experience, there are many, many code readers out there, I dont know which one will work best for you. There may not be any codes. But it would be good to know if any show up. If none, then on to the next possibility for you experiencing what you notice when you drive the vehicle.

Stormyme

Post by Stormyme » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:10 pm

Very informative reply. Thank you very much ds32928. My brother has a code reader. I do not know which kind, but he will be bringing it by today or tomorrow and we have an Auto Zone nearby. Between the 2 of those options, I hope for some insight into the problem. I will update this post along the way and conclusion for anyone else that has this type of issue.

I want to own a code reader after this problem is resolved. I have the ELM327 in my shopping cart and have downloaded the app. I was wondering if you are familiar with the FIXD OBD-II Active Car Health Monitor & Professional Scan Tool? Is the Launch X431 Creader 3001 better or same thing?
https://www.amazon.com/FIXD-OBD-II-Acti ... B013RIQMEO

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:49 pm

The BlueDriver is the best IMHO, I have it and I’ve used a number of scan tools over the years, it’s the best I’ve used, especially for that price point! https://www.amazon.com/BlueDriver-Bluet ... B00652G4TS

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:30 pm

Stormyme, the bluetooth devices like Bluedriver and FIXD use an app on your phone to give you the info. Ones like the x431 have the software in the unit and you read the info on the reader screen. So in that way they are not the same. A caution about the Bluetooth units that you plug into the OBDII port, some are big, take a look at where your OBDII port is located, to see if a larger one will fit without interference from a part of the dash that is above and or, hanging down slightly in front of the port. The units like the x431, (and others), have just a connector on a cable, and its better for a tight fit. BTW, years ago when I bought the ELM327 type it was one of the main ones. I see the ELM327 ones on Amazon dont always have the best reviews anymore. Now days you have others to pick from.

I have no experience with the FIXD unit.

Stormyme

Post by Stormyme » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:50 pm

The car has been repaired and here is what it turned out to be. First, Auto Zones scan did not bring up any error codes, nor did my brothers he brought over. We took it to the mechanic and it turned out to be spark plugs/ignition coils. He tested for misfire at idle under load and found weak coils for # 1, 4, and 6 cylinders. He replaced all of them and it runs like a charm.

Thank you very much for any and all info you gave along the way.
I have a couple of other questions and I will post them in the proper threads. ;)