Should I buy?

nate228

Should I buy?

Post by nate228 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Looking at buying an 06 freestyle limited awd with 144k km (90k miles) for $5500 cdn ($4100 usd). We are having our second child, we want something safe and reliable for Canadian winters. I have read up a bit about the CVT transmission, but have not come to a definite conclusion (If you search on the internet you can find someone with every kind of problem you can imagine...) 1 owner since new, no issues, they're a nice older couple and have maintained it well, it's in great shape. However it hasn't had a transmission fluid change.

I really like the car, especially the interior. Our funds are limited and for the price, it seems like a good buy.

So general consensus: Is it worth buying? What are my approximate odds of having a transmission issue? How many of these issues are reasonably solvable?

TIA
Nathan

ds32928

Re: Should I buy?

Post by ds32928 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:56 pm

The throttle body getting dirty and causing surging when in gear and lightly pressing the gas pedal was one issue. Cleaning it from time to time seems to fix it. There was a TSB on those vehicles to re-program the ECU and clean the throttle body all at the same time. Yours might have had that done or not. If not, not a biggy, but watch for surging with the A/C on, when lightly accelerating. Some vehicles did it, some didnt. Mine never did. If you dont hear the 'helicopter blades' sound with the car running and the trans in Park, or when driving, then the trans should last a good while. Some people change the trans fluid, becareful that some dummy doesnt put the wrong fluid back in, or uses a trans flush machine on it, or the trans will be toast in a very short time. If you like the vehicle and the price, I wouldnt hestitate to buy it. All vehicles can have hidden problems, so look it over good, mention it needed the fluid drained and refilled with fresh at 60k, and it will cost over $300 at the dealer, and see if you can save a little money. Good luck to you.

nate228

Post by nate228 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:23 pm

Thanks for the reply! I just talked him down $1000, haha, normally I can't haggle. Going to do a final look-over and test drive, Tuesday. I'm pretty pumped!

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:06 am

I forgot to mention the spark plugs are on schedule to be replaced at 100K miles, if they havent been already. The plugs on the firewall side require the intake plenum to be removed first as it covers those plugs. Some owners have done the job themselves, getting the EGR valve off can be difficult, but if you can do brake pads, you could do it yourself, 2-3 hour job>? The dealer or a shop could do it, I got a quote from the dealer 5 years ago of over $300 dollars. I said heck no, changed the 3 plugs in front, and now have 164K on the factory back 3. No misfires show up on my OBDII tester, having 3 worn plugs in there, lowers my gas mileage to some extent, a mpg or so. Lots of good advice and "how to it" advice on this forum.

'

nate228

Post by nate228 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:08 pm

Thank you sir, much appreciated!

Willass Maximus

Post by Willass Maximus » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:25 pm

I'd go for it given no hidden issues. Living in Minnesota with my freestyle and this thing handles snow and ice like a boss. Almost rather take that out during a storm than my truck!

old barney

Post by old barney » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:29 pm

I acquired a 2005 freestyle from my son with 240,000 miles drove it 550 miles home prayed all the way home as it miss fired badly under load.
With out manual but with code reader found out #1 and #3 miss fire. I started taking the car apart to get to the back plugs (who designed this thing any way) I bought new coils, plugs, gasket set and new injectors. I also found whilst tear down some ding dong had used a security torx and broke it off in the screw head. I had to use a 1/2 inch hole saw without pilot drill to cut through the plenum. So a new plenum was bought too.
My son had just put new brakes including new rotors, master cylinder, calipers, new oil pan, and new tires all around with oil change. The car had set for two years until Oct.-2018 when I drove it home.
I have put on about 1500 since my fixing and I really like the car runs superb.total cost of my back breaking fixing cost about $575 in parts.

MrBugatti

Post by MrBugatti » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:54 am

I own a five hundred with 210,000 miles and overall it's very reliable but IMO I think I would rather have the Taurus X over the freestyle as long as you change the water pump you should be fine but if you have to get the freestyle it's still a good choice as long as you change the cvt fluid

MrBugatti

Post by MrBugatti » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:59 am

A 06 or 07 model has a much lower chance of tranny issues than the 05 models but at 90k miles you should be fine with the freestyle if you ever need assistance with maintenance spark plugs, tranny fluid etc send me a email

RVAFreestyle

Post by RVAFreestyle » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:58 pm

X2 on what has been said. I own a late production 2007 Limited. It was a one owner, service regualrly including the trans at the dealer. I got it at 110K it has 167K on it now.

All I have done are what I would call normal repairs and maintenance for a vehicle its age. Pads and rotors, struts at all four corners, tires, water pump, plugs and coils, valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket and its second trans service and high pressure filter.

It runs like a champe and gets mid 20s all day long.
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT