If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

AWD Maintence: Part 1

RVAFreestyle

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by RVAFreestyle » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:31 pm

I agree with the angle/bevel/transfer case and rear oil. I am a former Volvo Expert Rated tech. The Haldex unit has a filter in it and technically is serviceable. After it introduction Haldex came out and recommended against the changing of the fluid. The fluid actuates the AOD only during slippage of certain percentages front vs. rear axles. Therefore, unless you live in the constant rain or snow it's not needed as a vast majority of the time the AOD is not being applied on and off.
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

mrdeeds

Post by mrdeeds » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:25 am

Was going to start a new topic but this one has been so informative i decided to add to it.

So I purchased a 2005 freestyle, May of 2015. 251,179 miles on it from a local used car dealer that I've purchased from before. Previous 1 owner was in sales and drove this car all over the place, he actually banked at the my wife's bank so we knew the guy. Meticulously kept up on service (I have an inch and half thick folder of service records, oddly no service ever performed on the tranny).

Ran great, interior and exterior were in perfect condition. Then winter came (Upstate NY, near PA) and realized the AWD was not functioning. Actually, in the snow it seemed as if the only wheel providing power (spinning) was the left front. Took it to a 'trusted' garage to see what the problem might be. They determined that something was wrong with the bevel gear/PTU. They got a used PTU and proceeded to remove the faulty one. they told me they had a hell of a time getting the PTU to release from the tranny. Once they got it off they saw, and they showed me, that the splined shaft, going into the tranny had its splines sheered off, most of them. Somehow they determined the tranny was ok.So they installed the used PTU and i gave them $750.00. Drove great for 1 week (Nov 2015), AWD was flawless, then while driving the car it started bucking, and alot of clanking noise. From that point the car would move 1, 5, 10, maybe 15ft or more, and then clank, clatter, and buck, in drive and reverse, low gear, etc. did not matter. No noise- bucking or clatter at idle while in gear or in park, only when pressing the accelerator in gear.

I called the garage and they led me to believe it was the tranny. So, being disgusted and broke i parked it until July 2016. It was then that i asked an 'online expert', after explaining what i have here, said that the PTU that was installed in November by my trusted garage had failed. That it was not the tranny. OK, well i finally got around to removing the PTU myself. The splined shaft going into the tranny is fine, not like the last time. However the output shaft on the PTU going to the rear axle wobbles like a weeble. when you turn it it may spin but usually just sticks/clatters and wobbles. Obviously there lies the issue. Hopefully the only one.

Now, i got a used PTU, and am going to install it. My question is (finally)...unlike those in previous posts that drained the oil from the PTU while it was installed, i have the PTU in hand. Can i just remove the drain plug and turn it upside down to drain it? Then, can i set it down 'level' on the ground to fill it to a proper level? or do i need to install the drained PTU, level the car, then fill it? I assume i can fill it while its in 'hand'...?

Now i haven't checked the failed PTU yet but my expectation is that there is no oil in it. As i said the output shaft wobbles badly so I cant believe that oil seal survived, however, there is no sign of any oil that ever leaked out, recently. My suspicion is that it had no oil or low oil well before it was installed and any leak evidence had being cleaned away. Typical of other users stories... the garage that installed it told me that this part was not serviceable (because the BOOK told them that), so they had no reason to service the replacement PTU (you know...CHECK THE OIL!!). I will report back on that after i pull the plug and check.

If this 'new' used PTU solves my problem i will be attempting the rest of the fluid/filter changes that are so expertly explained here in this very informative post. Thanks to all of you!
Last edited by mrdeeds on Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrdeeds

Post by mrdeeds » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:47 am

NOTE: I purchased the used PTU on Ebay, for shipping purposes the fluid has to be removed. Either because it will damage the vent/filter in the unit if it turned upside down or because of some regulation governing the shipment of petroleum products. I was not aware of this, but since i was going to replace the fluid anyway I was never in danger of installing a drained unit. When I took off the drain plug and little to no oil came out I immediately suspected something, so I contacted the seller and they told me they drained it before shipping. They should say something to the buyer's, not everyone is aware of this...I was not.

So I installed the used PTU. I took a pic inside the drain hole of the unit i pulled out that was broken, hence the little bits of metal. Got a very good look and don't see how anyone can get a tube past the obstruction at the inside end of the hole. Although, maybe it depends on the position of that obstruction, perhaps it is more open in a different position and that's why some have an easier time and some don't. See pic...
IMG_3753[1].JPG
IMG_3753[1].JPG (276.12 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
I would definitely go with the drill, tap, drain approach if i had to do this oil change while the unit is still installed in the car.

jpz

Post by jpz » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:22 pm

^ Totally agree. After spending way to much time on my back trying to get a hose down the fill hole I finally decided to drill a drain hole. Was the easiest 15 seconds I ever spent. I was pleased to have accomplished the task, and frustrated to have spent so much time trying to fish the hose into the PTU in the first place. Now I have a drain plug that I can and will use again in the future.

Ksmoov78

Post by Ksmoov78 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:49 pm

This is a great thread and I have learned a lot. Does the tranny need to be dropped to replace the ptu? Asking because a so called mechanic said it had to be. The problems I'm having my FS drive normally just no awd and there is distinct whining from the front when in motion. Even when I turn engine off and drop car in neutral. I beleve it is in the ptu. Removal and or replacement? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:55 pm

FWIW I was watching Wheeler Dealers and Edd was working on an 98 Audi TT AWD. He changed the Haldex Fluid and filter and he said the recommended interval was 20K miles on the fluid and 40K on the filter.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

createaneutron

Post by createaneutron » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:01 am

Sorry to somewhat highjack this old thread, but I have a problem and need some guidance. I have the dreaded "wrench light" come on and my analyzer didn't pick up any codes. I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed a code P1825 "clutch relay open circuit" and said I need the Active Torque Coupler kit CL8Z-4880-A per ssm 44427 at a cost of $639!
Does anyone have experience with this kit or working on the ATC (or ITCC as I have also seen it described here) unit?
Many thanks for any help!!

jimmerneal

Post by jimmerneal » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:51 pm

xvert wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:59 am
Jack Watts wrote: front PTU: giant pain to remove fluid w/a vacuum pump, sometime get 1/3 of the fluid out and have to repeat several times!
This is strange. I removed the PTU oil twice using a medical syringe, like this
It is simple and fast. I drained 100% oil, but the engine must be hot to the tube penetrate into the PTU. I have another problem: it is demanded almost 1 liter of oil to fill PTU up, but not 0.9l.
Hi what are were the oil types you used in the drive line. PTO, Rear Diff and Haldex. Any help on this matter would be great. I have a Freestyle 2005 AWD Limited
Ford Freestyle Limited 2005 AWD dual and rear climate control DVD console 139,000 miles

xvert

Post by xvert » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:41 am

Hi what are were the oil types you used in the drive line. PTO, Rear Diff and Haldex.
All information can be found on the forum.
Haldex oil: Volvo old 31325136\ new 31367940 (Statoil SL 01301) or for German VAG Grupa G055175A2 (Burmah HALBOT 309F) - 0.7l . There are also Ford, Land Rover specifications.
PTO oil: SAE 75W90 - 0.9l, rear Diff oil: SAE80W90 - 0.7l. I live in a cold region, so I use the best fully synthetic oil 75w90 in PTO and Diff

jml1975

Post by jml1975 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:09 am

Hello I performed the haldex fluid change on my 2005 freestyle. No biggie. But didn't help my problem with the AWD MALFUNCTION message on my dash. Although there is one difference from every ones post in this thread that I have and not come across yet. My freestyle suddenly quit moving forward or backwards as I was pulling into my garage one day. After racking my brain for what seems like forever I noticed a quick message doing the system test on the dash. Transmission test....good. traction control....good. Then as quick as it was there it was gone, a message that read AWD system data error. Now I thought about it and thought about it and decided first thing to do with that
kind of message was unplug the DEM harness and put dieletrical grease on it and plug it back in. Message gone but still no movement with the car. Now after many hours of research I decided to change the DEM due to much research about the message along with the fluid change. I changed the DEM taking very short time to do but was waiting on the fluid to b delivered that I had to order. Not being patient and not having lost much fluid I decided to start it I'll and see if it would at least move yet. As soon as I started the car the dash beeped and threw the message awd malfunction instead now. After rereading this thread I marked it up to just not having the correct amount of fluid in it. Well I finally got my fluid and am putting it in the haldex in the morning hoping for the best. But here is my question because of the difference then everyone else's on this thread....every one has still been able to drive and use their vehicle with this message being displayed and someone even said a text or two that u can unplug the electronics and driveshaft and drive it without the AWD system hooked up. So what would cause my fs to stop moving forward or backwards like it has the coupling locked somehow so that none of the drivetrain is allowed to spin locking all my tires from complete movement? I've tried everything from locked calipers and hubs having the car jacked up completely off the ground checking it all. This is so puzzling and has kept me from driving this car for 2 years now which I love and only have 150k miles on the wonderful 3.0 motor of Ford's that I believe is the best motor ever built and ha e put over 300k miles on 4 different taurus' that I have owed and driven very hard into the ground. I just want my freestyle back on the road and not in the driveway right in front of one of my garage doors that I can't even use or pull it up into to work on or hose or whatever I choose to do. Please help...I'm at my wit's end with trying to figure it out and of course like talking to a block wall with most Ford techs. Sorry boys but when it comes to the CVT and the AWD system of this car u guys r lost in space. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jason

onebit

Post by onebit » Wed May 29, 2019 1:00 pm

Has anyone drilled a PTU drain hole through the bottom bolt elbowjoe showed on page 5. Or did everyone drill and tap through the bottom of the pan.