If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Stripped oil pan 2005 Freestyle

dbloge

Post by dbloge » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:55 am

So it seems like I have bad luck with oil change places. It started when I took my 96 Ford Ranger into a place, and they didnt put the oil plug back in. probably a scam though for that one. Anyway, concerning my 2005 Form freestyle...

I took it to a oil change place, and when they were done, they said the "previous place" stripped the plug threads and they noted it on the receipt. I later took it to a Ford dealer for my next oil change, and oh course the only option was to replace the oil pan which was $880.00. For the next oil change my nephew, ended up putting in a "double oversize" drain plug, to replace the "oversize" drain plug that was already in. The pan is leaking pretty bad now, and I dont want to seize the engine. So......what are my non $880.00 options?

I have heard of rubber drain plugs, but I would want one to come out along with all of the oil and have the engine seize.

Can the present hole be re-tapped with a sleeve? Would there be enough thicker metal around the present plug hole to accomplish this?

I am a bit lost here.

Thanks in advance,

DL

mmsstar

Re: Stripped oil pan 2005 Freestyle

Post by mmsstar » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:48 am

How much material do you have left? You could go with a Helicoil (or other brand helically would wire insert) or find the oil pan from a recycler. There should be a lot of those 3.0 engines out there.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:55 am

Just did a quick Google search and found this
http://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.html
Last edited by mmsstar on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

dbloge

Post by dbloge » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:14 am

I dont know how much material is left right now. Would there be enough after using a "double oversize" drain plug. Is the spot for possible re-tapping really tight? I would rather not go the replacing the oil pan route. It would appear that there would be quite a bit of labor involved.

I did see the Timesert website before, and maybe thats the route to go. Does anyone know which kit would be best to buy? What would be the length of the inset for the Freestyle? What would be a good range of inserts since I used a "double oversize" drain plug.

I know I havent given a tone of detailed info on my problem, but thanks in advance for any help.

DL

jas88

Post by jas88 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:34 am

You are going to have to measure your existing hole. I do not know how big a "double oversize" drain plug is.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

dbloge

Post by dbloge » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:29 pm

I dont have the opportunity to measure the double oversize plug right now. Is the thicker metal around the standard plug size just enough for the standard plug, or is there quite a bit more? I know im not specific here.

I just stopped at 2 shops, and got estimates for $620 and $680 for new pans installed.

DL

jas88

Post by jas88 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:52 am

I don't know that any of us have inspected the inside of a FS oil pan WRT the drain plug backing. I know I haven't. The best I can advise you is to see if you could find a new one at a dealer that you could examine, if you can even find one in stock.

Otherwise, if it was mine, I would pull the drain plug, drain the oil, drill it out to the next size up and tap it for a new drain plug. If you run out of material in this process, then you were gonna have to replace the oil pan anyway.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

dbloge

Post by dbloge » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Good point jass88, thanks.

DL

RVAFreestyle

Post by RVAFreestyle » Sun May 01, 2016 6:21 am

Timsert is a permanent repair and helicoil is a junk quick fix. I used to repair blown out aluminium pans all the time with timeserts.

The issue you have either way is that you had 1) a stripped pan 2) the nephew who used a double oversize plug with.

You can still fix it with a timesert but you will have to determine the bore size of the plug now. So take either take out the drain plug and measure the diameter with a dial caliper or buy the same exact plug and measure it.

Then go to timesert and order the diameter you need and thread pitch of a matching standard but yet larger oil drain plug.

You will need a reamer and special tap for the timesert plus a timesert installer. All about $150.

The only other viable altenative is to replace the pan. A helicoil wont hold to repeated use, rubber stoper plugs are known to blow out, and continued use of a double oversize self tapper will wallow out the existing hole in a few oil changes

I one repaired a rocker arm mount with a timesert and the repair held even after i sold that vehicle 30,000 miles later. Try that with a helicoil
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

dbloge

Post by dbloge » Tue May 03, 2016 11:06 pm

Im going to try one more thing first, a rubber coated washer. Lets see if that works? for now anyway. A new pan would be the way to go, but I dont have the $ for it now.

DL

okcstyle

Post by okcstyle » Wed May 04, 2016 10:37 am

As stated by others, you can re-thread the hole. You can also buy new drain plug bolts that have rubber seals on them from places like oreillys or napa. The rethread tools are cheap, less then $10 and the plugs are less then $5. You only need the one tap that fits the thread of the new bolt. You don't have to buy a whole set. You can go from a fine thread to a course thread bolt with a seal and it should work just fine. Oil change places are real good about over tightening and stripping things. Whether they did it or not, they'll say the previous place did it. They aren't going to admit they did anything wrong, and it makes you think the other place sucks and the current place is better.
Also your oil plug hole may not be flat, or have burrs. Don't be afraid to use a plastic washer to solve the issue. The only issue you may have is someone over tightening again and cause a leak. I have never replaced a pan for a stripped plug. It just takes a little common sense to figure out how to fix a problem. Even if you had to remove the pan because the hole is just too big or cracked out, you can have a good machine shop fix it for prob less then $50. Remember, that's with you taking the pan off and taking it to the machine shop.
If your in the Oklahoma area(OKC), I'll fix it for you for 50 or less.
I'll post a picture of a plug with a seal, may not be the size you need, just an example.
Attachments
oil plug.jpg
oil plug.jpg (4.98 KiB) Viewed 2313 times

dbloge

Post by dbloge » Mon May 09, 2016 7:25 pm

well my brother changed the oil and there was a gap between the double oversize oil plug and pan? The plug was snug though. 2 copper washers were added to fill the gap. It has stopped leaking, yay!

DL

UpstateScottie

Post by UpstateScottie » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:05 am

Has anyone here had any luck with the Oil Pans that are listed on Rockauto.com for our cars? They run between $100-$240 (some come with gaskets and plugs, some not). I also have a stripped plug, and if the techniques above do not work, I'm going to just buy a new one. I'm reasonably confident that they are the right pans, just wanted to see if anyone has actually ordered one.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford ... l+pan,5562
Screenshot of Oil Pans
Screenshot of Oil Pans
Freestyle Oil Pans on Rockauto.JPG (84.39 KiB) Viewed 1942 times

AlexmenRib

Post by AlexmenRib » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:35 am

Hi Guys

The clutch oil jet is stripped and KTM is quoting me 12 hours labor to take the engine out and send it to an engineering company to drill it out.
Has anyone had the same issue before or have another way of getting the bolt out without taking the whole engine out.

RVAFreestyle

Post by RVAFreestyle » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:47 pm

I have bought ATP, Dorman and Spectra all have been of very good fit. I still say Timsert, it under $100 bucks, you take the plug out bore it, tap, insert permanent repair. In about the time of an oil change.

Other option new pan and a few hours or if you can live with out it, drop the pan take it to a machine shop, where they will likely put a Timsert in on drill oversize. Everything else is hacky in my opinion
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT