If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

$8.98 Transaxle Roll Resistor Replacement

NOSABE

Re: $8.98 Transaxle Roll Resistor Replacement

Post by NOSABE » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:46 pm

Hello fellow Ford Freestylers,
Has anyone tried the Westar part, EM-4028, called Torque Strut Mount, I ordered from Rockauto.com for $20 + ship & came in a Pronto Motor Mounts box.
Wanting to avoid cutting up the Volvo part I found this part.
It appears to be identical to the OEM part but here's the rub.
It has a heavy steel outer housing that the rubber strut is poured into, just as it appears the original has after closer examination, meaning I have to commit to hacksawing through the existing metal sleeve & break it out of the Transaxle Roll Bracket to replace with the new part.
I tried tapping it out of the bracket with a hammer but it appears to be a very tight fit, metal to metal, so figure a hack saw & chisel/ large screwdriver & hammer are it.
Once I commit to this, if it doesn't work, I assume that I will be forced to replace the entire engine roll bracket, $200 + lots of $ labor, which I am not able to do myself.
Not to mention I've got a car I assume I can't drive until I go forward.

FYI:
Once you get past all the rotten rubber this metal sleeve (which is black on my car and contrasts with the silver color of the bracket) becomes more apparent and actually is flared on one side, to only allow it be slid in from one side, which appears to be from the drivers side on the original. Outside diameter of non-flared side : 2 3/4" & flared side is 3 1/16" and is 1 1/4" thick from inside flange to non-flared side and 1 5/16" wide out to out. The hollow metal piece in the center of the rubber mount with the oval hole that the bolt passes through is 1 5/8" thick and sticks out slightly on each side, identical to the OEM part.
I assume there is a tool that will pull or push the old sleeve out or should I just get busy with the hack saw?
And once the old steel outer ring is out, will I be able to slide the new one in?
It is metal to metal and appears to be a very tight fit.
Also, I have removed all the rubber so assume the Volvo part will be too loose if I give up on the Westar (OEM) part.
Thank you in advance for your generous time & response,

HHR

Post by HHR » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:04 pm

The ideal thing to do would be to remove the entire mount and heat the aluminum around the sleeve with a torch. It will expand more than the steel and should be able to be tapped out. Hacksaw would also work fine I suppose.

05BlueSEL

Post by 05BlueSEL » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:57 am

See the posts by NHI and rkneeshaw a few posts back.

I replaced mine with a Rockauto part (not Dorman) last year, I took the whole bracket off, hacksawed the outer metal to remove the old one. Was easy once I realized I needed to pass the blade through the mount then fasten blad to hacksaw! I own a small hydraulic press but was too lazy to drive 5 minutes to use it, I should have, would have been easier. I just tapped/drove the new one in with a piece of wood and a hammer.

The new part was a VERY tight fit (in fact I turned it down slightly on my lathe) so I'd probably go for the Dorman kit next time. But overall I prefer the application specific part to the smaller Volvo part.

The new part is holding up well a year later.

bozbot

Post by bozbot » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:17 am

Just did the Dorman kit on mine. I wanted to do it with the minimum of parts removals. I did not remove the intake, and after taking off the four bolts on the throttle body I just moved it out of the way and did not take off any hoses. Removed top of air filter, air hose to the throttle body, electrical connectors for the MAF and throttle body, hose to the valve cover and finally the body cross member. The bolts were always a PITA, the back one took forever to get off and on, I have a 3/8 ratchet with flex head, without that I don't know what I would have done, could only move 1 or 2 clicks each time. The Dorman kit worked perfect with a hydraulic press, the whole press process took about 3 minutes, if you don't have access to the press, don't do this process. Kit was $46, my time: $2million, PITA factor another 2mil, but total time was about 3 hours all but 3 minutes of that was mostly getting those friggin 4 bolts out/in. Might have been easier if the intake and EGR were removed, but I was going minimum.
05 FS LTD 68K AWD, Merlot, safety package,pedals, backup sensors, 6 pass
05 500 LTD 60K AWD, Titanium, safety, pedals, backup, 6 pass

RoccoT

Post by RoccoT » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:36 am

Oh wow!!! thanks I will do this in a week or so, thanks for saving me a ton of $$$$$$$$

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:25 pm

knowitall wrote:I took my roll resistor out this weekend and filled it with 3M Window Weld. I bought it new about 3 years ago and it had cracked already.

The Window Weld makes a solid motor mount.

Time will tell how well it holds up but if you google 3M Window Weld and motor mount you will find many people are doing this for a cheap solution.
3 years later and my window weld repair is still going strong. :lol:

Alfons

Post by Alfons » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:01 pm

I used the roll resistor from O'Reilly ... I prepped the aluminum mount by wrapping a filled 500ml Dasani water bottle with sanding paper to use as a cylindrical sanding block. Cleaned the mount out just fine!
Alfons in Michigan

2007 Freestlye
2007 Five Hundred
2006 Five Hundred
2005 Five Hundred
2003 Expedition

1941 Ford 3 ton V3000s
1944 VW Kubelwagen

RVAFreestyle

Post by RVAFreestyle » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:24 pm

I suspect that this low dollar fix is 'ok' in a pinch but the rubber inside and old bushing sleeve is bound to fail. Additionally those early 850/V70 bushings always failed on their own even new on Volvos.
Rockauto sells an improved Dorman bushing only with installation tools for the FS trans mount for 43.00, I found it on eBay for 20.00
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

jbenedetto

Post by jbenedetto » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:40 pm

RVAFreestyle wrote:I suspect that this low dollar fix is 'ok' in a pinch but the rubber inside and old bushing sleeve is bound to fail. Additionally those early 850/V70 bushings always failed on their own even new on Volvos.
Rockauto sells an improved Dorman bushing only with installation tools for the FS trans mount for 43.00, I found it on eBay for 20.00
Can you linke to the rockauto bushing? I can't seem to find it on their site.

Thanks

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:08 pm

Amazon $10 you guys... http://amzn.to/21eHWAD

there is the Dorman part too but it's more $$ @ http://amzn.to/1SIWa9x

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:37 am

RVAFreestyle

Post by RVAFreestyle » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:43 pm

Dorman makes a purpose built bushing replacement for the FS torque mount. No need to hack it all up. Its cheap too
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

cultural_infidel

Post by cultural_infidel » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:27 pm

has anyone tried one of these http://www.onlinewholesaleparts.com/fm01.html with any luck?

pmassey31545

Post by pmassey31545 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:00 pm

cultural_infidel wrote:has anyone tried one of these http://www.onlinewholesaleparts.com/fm01.html with any luck?
I just put one of THESE in mine. But it is a BEAST to get back in the actual mount. Consider this your warning. Possible...but aggravating.
2007 Limited AWD
2009 Ford Flex SEL, 2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry

bboyd

Post by bboyd » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:49 pm

I am replacing my TRR - just got the Volvo part. My problem is that the bolt is close to the front of the old worn out OEM part. When I put the new part in, the bolt wont line up without adjusting something - any thoughts?
Also - the OEM part has the horizontal slot. is that so the engine has more movement? Won't the new part restrict the movement?