If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Sub install question.

RyanJon22

Sub install question.

Post by RyanJon22 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:51 pm

Any of y'all without the premium system install a sub in the stock location? If you have.. I'd love to see pictures so I can get some ideas, lol. If not.. I guess I'm SOL.

brijack515

Re: Sub install question.

Post by brijack515 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:03 pm

You need o look in behind the rear panel on the right side of the 3rd row seat to see if you have he wiring plug for the subwoofer amp for the premium sound sysem. Also, pull the face off where the radio is located and remove thefour 7mm bolts that hold the radio in place and see if the radio has two or thre plugs. That will give you an idea if you have he low end radio or a least have the capabilities to upgrade.

RyanJon22

Post by RyanJon22 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:40 pm

Oh I know I don't have a stock premium system. Already know there are 2 plugs on the back of the head unit.. That's not where I'm going to pull signal from for my inputs on my amp, for my sub.. I was just wondering what people have been able to stuff in the stock location.. Not necessarily in the stock sub enclosure.

kingqueens3

Post by kingqueens3 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:52 pm

I have the same question. What did you figure out or use? I have a 2005 SEL without a sub but would like to use the enclosure at the back of the vehicle on the passenger side.

Cr8zycanuck

Post by Cr8zycanuck » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:17 am

Uhuh me too..as soon as I finish the transmission fiasco!

Rickey5831

Post by Rickey5831 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:38 pm

Old post but my wife has this car and just asked if I could turn up her bass so it would sound more like my caddy. I explained to her what a subwoofer is and now I’ve been given the task to put one in for her. I used to build many many full systems back 15 years ago as a side business mostly working with fiberglass enclosures. I have a couple 8 inch subs in my garage I’ve been holding onto for who knows why but this sounds like a good time to use one. I will most likely use the factory location as we use the whole car and every seat for kids and all my wife’s craft crap she takes to and from shows. I will post pictures and all that fun stuff once I get into it.

fuxxy

Post by fuxxy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm

You will have a VERY difficult time fabricating a box out of MDF to fit in the stock location. I have the audiophile system, and the sub box is surprisingly large for it's location. You MAY be able to fabricate one out of fiberglass, I've seen builds where people have placed thick plastic over the mounting metal and other controls in the area, then fiber glassedover the plastic to create a custom formed enclosure.

K4uwc

Post by K4uwc » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:02 am

Here's a pic of the box. I can provide dimensions or even the box if you want it. It'll probably get scrapped with the car.
Attachments
IMG_4891[1].JPG
IMG_4891[1].JPG (181.58 KiB) Viewed 663 times

Deckard_Cain

Post by Deckard_Cain » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:06 am

Wow, that's one very complexly shaped and intricate sub box. I wonder how much R&D went into it's design and acoustics.... because the sub and stereo sound in my 06 Montego Prem. are incredible for a 13 year old, OE stereo. And yes, I checked, still the 45w, 2Ohm FoMoCo speakers and such.

The old lady who owned my car since new (thank you left over service receipts and paperwork left in the glovebox!) was not likely it seems to upgrade or replace anything with anything else other than OE.

(I love previous owners like that).