If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Warm a/c while driving in the city [Solved]

Africa_FS_07

Re: warm a/c while driving in the city

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:18 pm

AC cooling had degraded badly over the last few months, so i finally changed the Scroll Valve at the rear of the AC Compressor today, and WOW, what a world of difference, since i bought this car, the AC has never been this chilly cold!

never ever had this car blow so COLD!!!

outside temp today was 32 deg Celsius (90F), yet the AC was so cold at just Fan Speed 1/10 (lowest), this, while the car was stationary......whole car cooled perfectly with only the front vents, i didn't even need to turn ON the Rear AC!!!

i'm not fat, but i still wonder how people were able to squeeze their hands in that tight space between the Radiator and the Engine, to reach the Valve's plate.......i needed to take out the Radiator's Fan Shroud to get my hand in there to work freely.....its very easy to get the Fan Shroud out, just 2 bolts holding the Shroud to the Radiator.

compressor took 3 Cans of R134 (340 grams each).

the old Valve (pictures below) had some scuff marks and it really bogs my mind how such a tiny amount of scuffing could make the AC perform so badly before i did the swap.

thank you mr spidy18, thank you webby.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:03 am

Africa_FS_07 wrote:AC cooling had degraded badly over the last few months, so i finally changed the Scroll Valve at the rear of the AC Compressor today, and WOW, what a world of difference, since i bought this car, the AC has never been this chilly cold!

never ever had this car blow so COLD!!!

outside temp today was 32 deg Celsius (90F), yet the AC was so cold at just Fan Speed 1/10 (lowest), this, while the car was stationary......whole car cooled perfectly with only the front vents, i didn't even need to turn ON the Rear AC!!!

i'm not fat, but i still wonder how people were able to squeeze their hands in that tight space between the Radiator and the Engine, to reach the Valve's plate.......i needed to take out the Radiator's Fan Shroud to get my hand in there to work freely.....its very easy to get the Fan Shroud out, just 2 bolts holding the Shroud to the Radiator.

compressor took 3 Cans of R134 (340 grams each).

the old Valve (pictures below) had some scuff marks and it really bogs my mind how such a tiny amount of scuffing could make the AC perform so badly before i did the swap.

thank you mr spidy18, thank you webby.
When I changed the scroll valve I don't remember it being very tight at all.

And I'm 6'-0" , 215 lbs. :P

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:09 am

ok, but did you unscrew the bolts from UNDER the car, or from above the car?

you sure are a heavy contraption..... :P
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:45 pm

Africa_FS_07 wrote:ok, but did you unscrew the bolts from UNDER the car, or from above the car?

you sure are a heavy contraption..... :P
Above the car mon frere'

Everything is big in TEXAS! :lol:

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:17 pm

ok, thank you to the big one.

let me add that the two bolts on the Valve plate appear to get slightly loose overtime. i noticed mine were a bit free and therefore much easier than normal to turn the spanner....there was some PAG oil around the area overtime as a result.

piratepress

Post by piratepress » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:00 pm

Did the scroll valve fix last summer but running the a/c again now it seems to be barely cool at idle. It cools down while driving so I will have to keep an eye on it. Looks like I may yet have to spring for a new compressor. :x
2006 Freestyle SE FWD [SOLD] 3-22-06 to 2-3-15
Ford Freestyle Helicopter Club Ex-Presidente

veeight

Post by veeight » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:34 pm

Here is an informational video that was posted to YouTube a few months ago... I am not sure how the control valves actually fail; if it is due to binding in the bore or something inside the valve itself that breaks.

I replaced mine a year ago, and it is still going strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPUHOnei3g8
2005 Ford Freestyle Limited FWD, Fully Loaded, 178k Miles. Wife's daily driver. My other cars are Mustangs.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:08 pm

piratepress wrote:Did the scroll valve fix last summer but running the a/c again now it seems to be barely cool at idle. It cools down while driving so I will have to keep an eye on it. Looks like I may yet have to spring for a new compressor. :x
well, it turns out the dreaded Texan Poet was right about changing the Gasket/Seal between the Scroll Valve and the Plate.

just two weeks ago, i had to put in two little Cans of freon in the System because green oil was seeping out under the Plate at the back and the Gas had been escaping.

i see now that i need to get a new Green Seal/Gasket, and take out the old one which i had re-used.

apart from that, our replacement scroll valve is still working OK.

just a question please:

1...will Technochoice sell only the Green Gasket, or will i have to buy the complete Valve and Gasket etc from them again?

thanks.
Last edited by Africa_FS_07 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

piratepress

Post by piratepress » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:36 pm

Africa_FS_07 wrote:will Technochoice sell only the Green Gasket, or will i have to buy the complete Valve and Gasket etc from them again?
I would like to know this also if it will save me from having to buy a whole new compressor?

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:10 pm

piratepress wrote:
Africa_FS_07 wrote:will Technochoice sell only the Green Gasket, or will i have to buy the complete Valve and Gasket etc from them again?
I would like to know this also if it will save me from having to buy a whole new compressor?
I bet you could buy a set of o-ring gaskets and find one that fits.

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:12 pm

Africa_FS_07 wrote:
piratepress wrote:Did the scroll valve fix last summer but running the a/c again now it seems to be barely cool at idle. It cools down while driving so I will have to keep an eye on it. Looks like I may yet have to spring for a new compressor. :x
well, it turns out the dreaded Texan Poet was right about changing the Gasket/Seal between the Scroll Valve and the Plate.
I know its tough but just writing out this fact can make it sting less. :lol:

piratepress

Post by piratepress » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:31 pm

I talked to Jarrod Miller at TechChoice Parts and he said the o-ring could be ordered separately for $3. He advised lubricating the oring with some Pag Oil to prevent it from drying up and leaking in the future.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:13 pm

piratepress wrote:I talked to Jarrod Miller at TechChoice Parts and he said the o-ring could be ordered separately for $3. He advised lubricating the oring with some Pag Oil to prevent it from drying up and leaking in the future.
thanks Mr President, i also chatted with him this morning, and he said same thing, but......

knowitall wrote:
Africa_FS_07 wrote:
I know its tough but just writing out this fact can make it sting less. :lol:
ouch, that stung!

well, can you help overthere at the other topic please, the Backup Sensor issue?

(who would have ever thought this; him being right and "helping"??? :oops: )

knowitall wrote:...I bet you could buy a set of o-ring gaskets and find one that fits.....
...but the Green Seal/O ring is uniquely shaped to fit the groove in the Valve's housing, see pix below.....can't be found in the set you posted.....you're wrong there!

(pinched the pictures from mr veight).

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:45 am

Africa_FS_07 wrote:
knowitall wrote:...I bet you could buy a set of o-ring gaskets and find one that fits.....
...but the Green Seal/O ring is uniquely shaped to fit the groove in the Valve's housing, see pix below.....can't be found in the set you posted.....you're wrong there!
Rubber bends. Try it sometime. :P

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:52 am

knowitall wrote:
Africa_FS_07 wrote:
Rubber bends. Try it sometime. :P
bad suggestion, the rubber seal you posted might not be made for AC systems.

'tis a big sin to knowingly lead others down the wrong road..... :P