If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

FORD EXTENDS WARRANTY ON THROTTLE BODY

hawkeye

Re: FORD EXTENDS WARRANTY ON THROTTLE BODY

Post by hawkeye » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Had mine down 2 weeks ago, port cover was hanging also

lparsons

Post by lparsons » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:13 pm

I know this has been up for a while now, and we're past the May 31 deadline for cars past the 10yr/150k warranty stated on the letter. Nonetheless, I'd like to ask if anyone has had any luck getting their TB replaced under this 12N03 program when it is not surging?

I ask because my freebie is at the dealer for something completely unrelated, and I can't help but wonder if I could get them to replace my throttle body "while we're in there...". I know the letters that have been posted specifically state it is for people showing these symptoms - and we've had our car from 69k - 107+k without showing them - but I thought I'd check to see if anyone has tried for an asymptomatic car.
05 Freestyle Limited AWD - dark red (wife's car)
02 VW Passat W8 - all black (my car)

Beach Bum

Post by Beach Bum » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Once again this forum comes through.
While leaving the fire works downtown last night the car surged forward and shut off. That is not a good feeling as you are exiting a parking garage with a car full of tired kids and in-laws. With dollar signs floating the my mind knowing the CVT issues I checked the forum.
Only to find this thread. The symptoms match the Throttle Body extended warranty notice and we are still under the mileage restrictions.
I plan on calling my local Ford dealer tomorrow to get this scheduled.
THANKS! :D
2007 Freestyle Limited

nightflyer

Post by nightflyer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:06 am

I had mine in a couple days before the deadline. The throttle body didn't get replaced as it was unnecessary and I haven't had any symptoms show. I just told them that the deadline was approaching, I was well over the 150K mark, and didn't want this problem to surface while I'm driving around with my son in the back after I'm not covered just because I didn't have signs before. True to the warranty notice, they did the work free of charge.
2006 FWD Ford Freestyle SEL
2004 Hyundai Sonata 2.7 V6 base

mn_montego

Post by mn_montego » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:40 am

Q: has anyone had their throttle body cleaned in the car (with the PCM reset) and then proceed to have even more surge issues?

My car started to have some noticiable surging activity, so I had the dealership do the extended warranty work. Its now been 4-5 weeks and I believe the surging problem is slowing getting worse, more severe and definitely more noticiable.

Anyone else experience this? If so, what is the solution; a new throttle body? Will that solve the problem once and for all?

Thanks all!

nightflyer

Post by nightflyer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:53 am

mn_montego wrote:Q: has anyone had their throttle body cleaned in the car (with the PCM reset) and then proceed to have even more surge issues?

My car started to have some noticiable surging activity, so I had the dealership do the extended warranty work. Its now been 4-5 weeks and I believe the surging problem is slowing getting worse, more severe and definitely more noticiable.

Anyone else experience this? If so, what is the solution; a new throttle body? Will that solve the problem once and for all?

Thanks all!
What kind of surge? Mine had an issue, but it's more likely the mechantronics for me.
2006 FWD Ford Freestyle SEL
2004 Hyundai Sonata 2.7 V6 base

mn_montego

Post by mn_montego » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:01 am

The symptoms are:

1) When accelerating, using a consistent foot pressure on the throttel pedal, the engine will accelerate unevenly. As I gain speed, the engine will surge up in RPMs for a few seconds, then sometimes will go back to the normal RPM range I expect. Sometimes it will stay high, until I take my foot off the throttle. So far this is fairly easy to control, but it is getting more frequent and with a broader ange of RPM surge.
2) This is new. When the cruise is set, there have been times now that the RPMs surge upward and then return to normal. I would expect this on a hill, but not a flat road......

Not sure if #2 is really a problem yet since it is new; but #1 seems to be getting more prevalent. I am attempting to contact my Ford Dealership to see what their recommendation is, but with the experience in this forum, I was hopeful to get some "unbiased" advise.

So to recap. The throttle body has been taken off and cleaned. I "believe" the PCM has been reflashed (need to verify this though with the dealership), but the surging problem is still present and getting more frequent. Do I need a new throttle body or is there another solution that should be attempted? (if it matters, I have the 6 speed transmission and not the CVT.......)

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:00 am

It sure sounds TB-related to me. Given that cleaning didn't solve the issue, I'd think the dealer should make it right under the terms of the recall, so I think I'd pester them about it. The only other thing I can think is if a vacuum line is loose or something if you just did a plug change.

FordTaurus

Post by FordTaurus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:38 am

I believed I remembered someone in this forum mentioned, he did a throttle body cleaning at the dealer. Afterward experience surge. Brought back to the dealer, found something was not put back correctly.

You can try search old threads.

And since this is under extend warranty, ask the dealer if they can check out what they have done, free of extra charge.

mn_montego

Post by mn_montego » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:43 am

This past weekend, I removed the throttle body from the engine and inspected it. It is spotless, so the cleaning was performed. I also confirmed from the dealership that they did flash the PCM. What I didn't see though is a gasket between the throttle body and the manifold unit.

Q: Should their be a gasket there? Would this provide a tighter seal? I see you can purchase a gasket, so wondering if this is just missing and could be causing the small surges I am experiencing.

Thoughts or comments?

mn_montego

Post by mn_montego » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:45 am

For "anyone" that has had the throttle body replaced on their Duratec 3.0 engine, has this solved the surging problem for you? My engine throttle body has been cleaned multiple times, and I continue to have noticiable surging while the cruise control is on and while I am accelerating. Both are controllable and not severe, but both are slowly getting worse. Per the dealership, the only way to really remove this, is replace the throttle body; which Ford will "not" pay for at this time.

so, if I am going to spend the $$$, I want to see if anyone else has had to go this route and confirm that it did solve the problem.

Thanks!

meyersd

Post by meyersd » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:09 am

Yes replacing the throttle body will cure the surging. I had surging issues about 2 years ago with my old throttle body. Somebody told me to clean it, but I never got around to it. Took a 650 mile trip shortly after noticing some surging, and the throttle body crapped out. Replaced it before returning home (out of pocket - $640.00). Have not had an issue since with surging. The better news was ford extended the warranty on the throttle body, so I was able to recoup the $$$ I shelled out. The new warranty on the throttle body is now 10 years and 150,000 miles. If you were over 150K, you had until May 2013 to bring it in. Is your ride over 150K? if not, you should be getting it fixed for only the cost of the deductible.
2005 Ford Freestyle AWD Limited (Dark Blue Pearl Metallic/Pebble Leather Interior)
2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S (Grey Clearcoat/Grey Cloth Interior)

thegoldenhand

Post by thegoldenhand » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:33 am

What I'm curious to find out is can we bring it back to Ford again later on and have them perform the warranty service on the TB again when the surging comes back?

Also part of the soft-recall involves updating the software. How do we confirm that they did perform this step?

mn_montego

Post by mn_montego » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:56 pm

The dealership that did the work on my vehicle has indicated to me that if the problem is still present, that I need to replace the throttle body; and that work is "not" covered by Ford under the warranty.

I am contemplating going directly to Ford, but concerned that this make take some time with no good outcome. But, I have been wrong before....

mimi_mechant

Re: THROTTLE BODY - Loss of Power after 12N03 Campaign

Post by mimi_mechant » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:07 pm

Has anyone had the problem of weak acceleration after having the 12N03 campaign work performed? I had them do the 12N03 work (throttle body cleaned and PCM updated) along with a couple of other items just before my 100K extended warranty was due to end. I figured if they found anything else it would be covered under warranty.

They replaced a leaking oil pan gasket, motor mounts, and replaced a "leaking" CVT drain plug with a fluid change, so the fluid is really fresh now as I had just changed the high pressure filter and fluid a couple of weeks earlier, and a couple of unrelated items.

Now the car is lethargic going forward (reverse still seems peppy) and idles more roughly than before so I took it back to the dealer and the tech agrees that it feels like it is lacking acceleration. (He described it as feeling like starting in 2nd gear in a typical auto transmission.) No codes except P1000 indicating OBD still needs a driving cycle. The tech connected an IDS system and confirmed the PCM had the latest software revision 7U7A-UD. I saw the numbers myself on the screen and checked on motocraftservice.com.

I'm wishing I never had the campaign done. Called Ford national who said they can't go back to the old PCM calibration / software version and nothing else to do except ask the local Ford dealer who at the time said the car was OK. I went back to service again and a new tech said it did seem slow to accelerate. Engine revs up OK. The local tech then reset the KAM Keep Alive Memory and cleared out the Adaptive Learning parameters to force the car to relearn its state. They told me to drive it to see if it gets better but I'll be out of extended warranty in 50 miles now. He said bring it back if it still seems slow. We looked at the CVT fluid and it is full per the shop manual (just above the upper hole and in lower part of hash area of dipstick). Not sure what else to consider or best course going forward if acceleration doesn't improve.

Anyone else have a similar problem and any suggested things to check? Thanks, Brad
Last edited by mimi_mechant on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.