If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Replacement of coolant by vacuum. Home made equipment.

KAH

Replacement of coolant by vacuum. Home made equipment.

Post by KAH » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:58 pm

I would like to make an improvised vacuum system for replacing the coolant in my 2007
Freestyle.

Commercially made equipment is available for this purpose but given how infrequently
I would use it makes it impractical to spend any large sum of money.

The plan is to have a wet/dry vacuum connected to an empty 5 gallon metal covered
paint bucket. This bucket would have two vacuum fittings, one that went to the shop vac
and the other to the car radiator.

To drain the cooling system, the shop vac would provide a partial vacuum in the bucket.
The coolant line would be connected to the vehicle and would suck the coolant into the bucket.
To prevent a vacuum condition in the radiator, the fill cap would be removed prior to turning on the
shop vac. The metal bucket would catch the fluid and not permit any great amount to enter the
shop vac.

To fill the system, the vacuum system would be reversed to pull the coolant into the engine.

I think this could be done using 1/2 or 3/4 inch pvc fittings on the metal bucket lid, with
appropriate rubber hoses.

But I am not certain the best means of attaching the vacuum line and fill line to the vehicle.

This system should work but it is evident it needs more details to be effective.

Has anyone made up a rig of this type and how would it be connected ?

Any suggestions ( virtuous ) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken H.

Jack Watts

Re: Replacement of coolant by vacuum. Home made equipment.

Post by Jack Watts » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:29 am

NKENN

Post by NKENN » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:44 am

The 2005 Freestyle has a removable plug on the uppermost hose for allowing trapped air to escape and to add coolant. Perhaps your 2007 has the same plug. Check your owners manual for the proper procedure for replacing coolant.

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:03 am

Far be it for me to tell anyone how to live his life, but my first reaction is, why bother? The service instructions call for the coolant to be changed every 100,000 miles. Good God, how many times do you expect to change the coolant during the time you own the car? Once?

Routine oil changes? Hell yes. Get whatever equipment is needed to do that job yourself if you're so inclined as you'll be doing many of those over the life of the car. But coolant changes? Take it to a garage the one time it needs to be done, pay the $50, let them do it, and save the hassle and the bother.

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:08 am

NKENN wrote:The 2005 Freestyle has a removable plug on the uppermost hose for allowing trapped air to escape and to add coolant. Perhaps your 2007 has the same plug. Check your owners manual for the proper procedure for replacing coolant.
If you have rear heat and are draining the rear heater core and lines, the proper procedure in the manual is actually to use a venturi vacuum to remove/fill the coolant
jaunty75 wrote:Far be it for me to tell anyone how to live his life, but my first reaction is, why bother? The service instructions call for the coolant to be changed every 100,000 miles. Good God, how many times do you expect to change the coolant during the time you own the car? Once?

Routine oil changes? Hell yes. Get whatever equipment is needed to do that job yourself if you're so inclined as you'll be doing many of those over the life of the car. But coolant changes? Take it to a garage the one time it needs to be done, pay the $50, let them do it, and save the hassle and the bother.
Well, couple a things. The coolant change is at 100K, then every 50K. I know for me, that means I'll be changing it a minimum of 2, but hopefully 3 or 4 times. Plus, you can use the vacuum tool on any car and it's a more thorough (and safer) way to exchange coolant--on any car.

You're right, it's not a tool you'll use often, but I picked one up off of Ebay for cheap (less than $50.00, if I remember correctly), so it'll pay for itself; particularly since you're quoting 1970's labor rates! You won't get a coolant exchange done out my way for less than $120.00, so it paid for itself the first time I used it. Curbside recycling picked up the coolant. Easy!

KAH

Post by KAH » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks to all that have replied. I like to have as many toys as possible but the whole purpose of this
exercise is to come up with a system that can do the job at a minimal expense.

As such, I would like to ask if this is a feasible method of replacing the coolant:

Required components:

1. Rubber stopper that would fit into the thermostat housing. This would
be drilled for a suction line as shown on the Subaru posting by Jack Watts.
A vacuum gauge would be on the hose from the rubber plug but no other hoses
would be needed. The vacuum could be provided by the Shop Vac.

2. Shop Vac with suction hose I.D. reduced to fit the rubber stopper.

PROCEDURE:

1. Drain the radiator. Then close drain valve.
2. Remove the clip and fill tab on the thermostat housing and fill as best able.
3. Apply a vacuum to the thermostat housing by means of the rubber plug.
Then remove the vacuum by removing the rubber plug.
4. Refill the thermostat housing.
5. Repeat the sequence of pulling the vacuum on the cooling system and refilling the thermostat
housing until it is completely full.

It appears that the repeated use of the vacuum would reduce the pressure in the system such that any
trapped air would be at atmospheric pressure and tend to flow towards the vacuum source.

Comments, please. Thanks,
Ken H.

KAH

Post by KAH » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:51 pm

I Left out a fine point:

To pull a vacuum on the thermostat housing it will be necessary to pinch the degas bottle
to the thermostat housing. Possibly the fill cap could be installed on the fill bottle but I am
not certain that this might cause problems by damaging the degas bottle.

Sorry to omit this point,
Ken H.

Suzie68

Post by Suzie68 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:35 am

I guess my question is why exchange? I know you don't get all in a drain and fill but you do get 90%. And I just had it done here at Ford for $34.

KAH

Post by KAH » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:24 pm

I know you don't get all in a drain and fill but you do get 90%.
And I just had it done here at Ford for $34.

That seems like a very good price to have it done at a Ford dealer.

I enjoy working on my own cars and being retired, I have more time these
days than money. And I see no reason to purchase a piece of expensive equipment
that I may only use a limited number of times. This is why I am attempting to
make an improvised yet effective means of properly filling the cooling system.

Ken H.

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:49 am

jaunty75 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:03 am
Far be it for me to tell anyone how to live his life, but my first reaction is, why bother? The service instructions call for the coolant to be changed every 100,000 miles. Good God, how many times do you expect to change the coolant during the time you own the car? Once?

How I miss the wit and congeniality of jaunty75. But we do have his quotes to keep us company. :lol: