If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Tire Pressure Warning Light - Does Freestyle Have it?

pgh

Tire Pressure Warning Light - Does Freestyle Have it?

Post by pgh » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:06 am

When I bought our '07 Freestyle Limited about a month ago, the salesman pointed out that the Freestyle has a warning light that alerts the driver to a potential problem with the tire pressure. I asked a mechanic at the dealer, and he also said it had the feature that essentially warns the driver when one of the tires has pressure significantly different from the other. I had this feature with my '98 Sienna, and it does work. It doesn't tell you the pressure, but it warns you to get out and check the tires.

The problem is I have never seen anything in Ford's product information or the Freestyle manual about this feature. But the "message center" in the instrument cluster does include the universal symbol for a tire pressure problem, though it has never lit up, even when starting the car. If you look carefully at a certain angle, you can see it in the top row near the left side.

Can anyone confirm that the Freestyle has (or doesn't have) this feature?

Mister Mitch
Location: North Sydney, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by Mister Mitch » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:33 am

Good morning pgh,

I never knew that our vehicle had that.

Do you know if it is standard equipment? I know that didn't see anything in the manual for my 05 SEL.

Mitch
2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD
Titanium Green, Artic Grey trim
Adopted 17 September 2005.
Gave her up 1 November 2007, Got her back 4 February 2008.
Sold again 26 November 2009, upgraded to 2009 Ford Flex Limited.
Catch me at https://www.fordflex.net

pgh

Post by pgh » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:48 am

I'm not sure if it does have it, whether standard or optional. I once read somewhere that as of 2008, all vehicles would be required to have this feature (at least in the US).

I am not sure if Ford has simply put the warning light in place, but not yet activated it. I hope it is active because it is a nice, unobstrusive warning system. I suppose I could bleed the air out of one of my tires and drive around for awhile, but I would rather not try that kind of stunt.

FordTaurus

Post by FordTaurus » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:49 pm

I believe the Freestyle does not have the low tire pressure warning system yet. I read through the 2004, 2005 brochures. There were no mention of it.

The 2007 Freestyle order guide also did not mention it. Under the intrumental feature, the low tire pressure warning light was not included. I think if the Freestyle has it. Ford should have let the customer know. At least it will be an attractive thing to list on the brochures.

For example, both the Freestar minivan and Explorer have the Low Tire Pressure System list in their brochures under safety features.

HairyKnickle

07 tps

Post by HairyKnickle » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:24 pm

I beleive that for certain types of vehicles it is a Federal requirement to have Tire Pressure Monitoring systems in the 2007 model year vehicles. This is why there is no mention of this in prior model year Freestyles.

pgh

Post by pgh » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:49 am

I've also recently heard the same thing, that a federal rule will require that all vehicles sold beginning sometime this fall have some kind of tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). That is why I keep wondering if the 2007 Freestyle -- which I bought in June -- has been at least set up with an indirect TPMS based on the ABS. I contacted Ford through email and by phone and was told the vehicle did not have the system. But the Ford people were, I believe, just young customer service reps who understandably based their conclusions on the owner's manual. There are no technical people to talk to.

The 1998 Toyota Sienna I owned had such a system that monitored the speed of the wheels and, if it detected some variation, lit a warning light. It would seem that such a system is inherent in any new car with ABS, especially one with the warning light in the instrument cluster already in place. When I go back in for an oil change in a few weeks, I will ask the Ford mechanics to confirm that the Freestyle doesn't already have the system, and if does, then to see if they could activate it.

Another option I have come across on the internet is the use of a direct system that involves placing sensors in each of the tires. Apparently this has become more common on high end vechicles as OEM. Each sensor, about the size of a match box, monitors on a real-time basis the air pressure and temperature in each tire and transmits the data to a display mounted in the passenger compartment. The entire hardware kit seems to be available for sale in the after market for around $300. The catch is getting it installed properly, and making sure it doesn't void any warranty. And also, you have to be careful when taking a tire off the rim.

Although this might seem like just another unnecessary gizmo, we really benefitted from the indirect system in the Toyota. It has warned us numerous times when there has been a problem with low pressure in any of the tires.

Has anyone had any experience with installing a TPMS, direct or indirect?

Thanks.

dadsp33k

Post by dadsp33k » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:21 pm

i don't think it does. we had a windstar that had it and there was an obvious button to reset it on the left near the steering column.