If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Repeated Problems with Squeaky Brakes

jenbp60

Post by jenbp60 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:30 am

I've had repeated problems with squeaky brakes. Each time I have someone "fix" the brakes they usually install new something to it. It would be gone for 3-4 months and then comes back. It's when I press on the brakes softly or completely while starting to drive; it goes away after driving for some time like 8 minutes of driving. It annoys the crap out of me when I hear it. It goes back in for fixing the brakes and noise gone but comes back a few months later. Happens 3x within a year. Why? And WTH! in the past, I had used local Ford Dealer Service twice who said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and returned my car and didn't do anything with it and I drove off with squeaky brakes AND they charged me for nothing fixed...just to tell me nothing is wrong with it: $69 dollars here and $99 there; stopped using them when I had paid them for The Works and windshield wiper fluid empty when I used it two weeks later. Who knows what else they didn't do. So, went to a regular auto shop who "fixed" the brake noise and then it comes back 3-4 months later.

05BlueSEL

Re: Repeated Problems with Squeaky Brakes

Post by 05BlueSEL » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:35 pm

My guess is that they are putting some anti squeal goop or grease on the back of the pad that dries up after a while and stops working. I used to buy really cheap brake pads (on Taurus wagons) and they squealed like crazy. The better pads have a vibration absorbing material on the back of the backing plate that stops the squeal. I started buying better pads and no more squeal since, and since finding Rock Auto, good pads are as cheap as crummy pads are locally. So maybe bite the bullet and put on some new high quality pads that have the anti squeal built in.

emtmark

Post by emtmark » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:08 pm

Big fan of akebono right here

brittanylake

Post by brittanylake » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:35 pm

Hey! I drive a 2005 ford freestyle. I am far from an expert and not sure how true this is but Just Brakes told me is it due to needing the shocks and struts replaced. I'm at 156,000 miles. Has anyone else had this problem?

jpz

Post by jpz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:54 pm

The brakes squeak from needing the shocks and struts replaced? Wow! It's amazing the BS they will say to sell you something.

Splicer

Post by Splicer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:12 pm

Use ceramic pads and anti squeal on the back plate and you'll be good to go. I don't even use anti squeal and only rarely do I get a very slight squeal. Not worth pulling apart and putting the grease on, tho.
2007 Freestyle Limited FWD 302,000+ miles 8)
2004 Escape XLT FWD 260,000+ :)
2006 Escape Hybrid AWD 125,000+ :mrgreen:

gsally

Post by gsally » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:05 am

Rotor condition can also contribute to squeakiness. A worn rotor, with grooves or rust pitting, will produce noise. Switch to brake pads with low metallic content and new rotors (change both at the same time) and the brakes will be much more quiet.

AlexmenRib

Post by AlexmenRib » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:55 pm

I recently installed 17" wheels on my car and it seems like my mileage is getting worse Anyone else install bigger wheels on their car?? Whats the mileage you guys are getting?