If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

165k miles - Anticipated Longevity?

wwboy

165k miles - Anticipated Longevity?

Post by wwboy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:17 am

Greetings - I've appreciated your helpful advice and contributions over the years. Bought our '05 SEL AWD brand new in 2005 and have enjoyed it ever since. It's got 165,000miles now and we're thinking about longevity.

I've changed the CVT fluid 3 times (and the filter once, most recently). Consistent oil changes and all other normal maintenance. I haven't changed the serpentine belt yet. But pretty much everything else including spark plugs and wires.

Anyways, I know no one can predict the future but what do you suppose is a reasonable assumption about the CVT lasting? Do many owners find them going for a lot more miles than this? Is there a generally agreed-upon 'breaking point'?

We had thought about selling it preemptively because it is in such good shape otherwise. But of course, to us, it is worth more than what people will pay... And a car payment doesn't fit very well into our budget at the moment so I'm kind of cringing at the thought.

jas88

Re: 165k miles - Anticipated Longevity?

Post by jas88 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:17 am

My wife's FS had 235K on the original CVT when we sold it to a friend's son about 6 months ago. It's still going. I changed the HP filter and fluid every 50K miles.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:19 pm

wwboy wrote:Greetings - I've appreciated your helpful advice and contributions over the years. Bought our '05 SEL AWD brand new in 2005 and have enjoyed it ever since. It's got 165,000miles now and we're thinking about longevity.

I've changed the CVT fluid 3 times (and the filter once, most recently). Consistent oil changes and all other normal maintenance. I haven't changed the serpentine belt yet. But pretty much everything else including spark plugs and wires.

Anyways, I know no one can predict the future but what do you suppose is a reasonable assumption about the CVT lasting? Do many owners find them going for a lot more miles than this? Is there a generally agreed-upon 'breaking point'?

We had thought about selling it preemptively because it is in such good shape otherwise. But of course, to us, it is worth more than what people will pay... And a car payment doesn't fit very well into our budget at the moment so I'm kind of cringing at the thought.
welcome.

The Record for the oldest CVT in the Forum is 276,000 miles. CVT Service on this Tranny was done by the owner at each due mileage.

the Record for the youngest CVT death is about 16,000 miles, did not even live to see its first Service.

the Record for the CVT with NO SERVICE EVER is 235,000 miles.

http://www.myfordfreestyle.com/forums/v ... php?t=5380

This particular CVT lived almost all its life in filthy CVT Fluid and Filters, and she prospered like Pig in a Sty, never even sneezed once......The owner finally changed the Fluid and Filters at about 210,000 miles, and she died 25,000 miles later. Poor thing.

Would she have lived longer in her squalor? we'll never know now.

at you current mileage and based on the records on here, the CVT is in its midlife. If its healthy and not showing any signs whatsoever, i would keep the car.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:47 pm

jas88 wrote:My wife's FS had 235K on the original CVT when we sold it to a friend's son about 6 months ago. It's still going. I changed the HP filter and fluid every 50K miles.
The FS haters club say Heresy! :lol:

markshan

Post by markshan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:19 pm

This is an encouraging thread (this is my first post, BTW). I just bought a 2007 Freestyle SEL. It has 168k, but literally runs like a new car. I've had several friends drive it, all initially skeptical about the high miles. Each one, after taking it for a spin, declared it a cream puff. I think it is a lot of car for what I paid for it. It passed both safety and emissions inspections with no additional work, though I do have new tires on order from Costco. I am feeling cautiously optimistic.

I was really surprised to find this car had it's own message board. Kinda cool!

Chunkem

Post by Chunkem » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:46 pm

markshan wrote:This is an encouraging thread (this is my first post, BTW). I just bought a 2007 Freestyle SEL. It has 168k, but literally runs like a new car. I've had several friends drive it, all initially skeptical about the high miles. Each one, after taking it for a spin, declared it a cream puff. I think it is a lot of car for what I paid for it. It passed both safety and emissions inspections with no additional work, though I do have new tires on order from Costco. I am feeling cautiously optimistic.

I was really surprised to find this car had it's own message board. Kinda cool!
I too just picked up a 2006 Freestyle SEL FWD with 276,000 kms.... Always had the proper maintenance completed and only needed rear brakes for a safety.....Emissions test completed and overall a great vehicle....I picked it up for $1,000 dollars and had the interior cleaned and it looks brand new.....Was just going use it for winter but this vehicle drives great so I plan on using it all year long.......

I too am hoping that with continued maintenance and not driving it hard, I would be happy to get two years....I am hoping for way more though.....

jistetz

Post by jistetz » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:27 am

I just purchased my 1st FS, a 05' with 163k miles. The previous owner was meticulous about the servicing on it. I did notice that there was no record of any CVT servicing. When I called one of the local Ford dealerships, I was instructed "if it isnt broke, dont fix it"..they didnt suggest even changing out the filters.. love the way this vehicle drives and runs!!

markshan

Post by markshan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:25 pm

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I had to come back to this post and let you all know that my car just hit 200K! :D

Brooklyn_Freestyle

Post by Brooklyn_Freestyle » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:18 am

That's fantastic, it's good to hear the positive tales!
2006 FS SEL AWD w/ 90k miles

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:33 pm

161,000 miles, other than a leaking water pump, a bad passenger front door speaker, and a rear drivers door with a non-working door lock/unlock mechanism, just normal maintance.

Mods I learned and did from this forum, new brighter puddle lamps in the mirrors, cabin filter addition, a switched engine off, 12v power port, using a "add a fuse wire" in the radio fuse location.

Things to do, 1/4" nut for a spacer behind the A/C control valve, fixing warm air at idle, and get into the door panel and replace the door lock actuator.

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:05 pm

I am creeping up--slowly, on 200K. I don't actually drive my Freestyle that much any longer, as I don't need quite as much room, and frankly I just got tired of driving a vehicle this big. I also prefer to shift my own gears, so I went back to a car with 3 pedals.

I see tons of these cars for sale with some ridiculous mileage. I'm on my original transmission, throttle body, and everything else. I've had one repair outside of regular maintenance, and my air compressor stopped working a while ago (I just drive a different car when it's hot).

My Freestyle mostly sees truck duty now, but this vehicle will simply not die.

markshan

Post by markshan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Jack Watts wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:05 pm
my air compressor stopped working a while ago (I just drive a different car when it's hot).
Search "scroll valve" here if you don't know about it already.

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:03 pm

no, unfortunately mine was not a scroll valve issue--it was leaking at the seal where the 2 halves join. Frankly, this is my fault--I should have pulled it and fixed it when I saw PAG oil leaking out of it, but I didn't. I then just ran it into the ground--then pulled the fuse so I didn't blow the thing to bits.

The lame part is that I have a compressor, drier etc on-hand, but I've been too lazy to fix it.