If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Warm a/c while driving in the city [Solved]

kh22

Re: warm a/c while driving in the city

Post by kh22 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:20 am

I know all you guys can't have small hands. I can reach down to the spring valve bolts, but when I actually try to turn a wrench down there it's really tight for space. I was using a socket wrench. I'll pick up a 10mm traditional wrench today and try again.

Markb

Post by Markb » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:57 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to Spidy18 for all the great info and pics on how to change out the scroll valve. You just saved me a ton of money. I have a 2007 Freestyle, and the a/c was warming on while idling, running cooler on the driver side than passenger side, and cooling some while driving--but not very cold. I googled the problem and ended up here. After reading your posts, and being inspired by all the others who had benefitted from your pics and instructions, I went ahead and ordered the part at the link you provided [the price of the valve has gone up to $40.00 plus shipping now--probably cause so many were ordering the part from here--ha!] Part arrived and this poor excuse for a mechanic did the fix following your directions---and I am so glad to report that it worked. The car is cooling down nicely, evenly dispersed on both passenger and driver sides, along with the rear, and remaining cold while idling. Thank you so much Spidy. I really apprecaite your posts :)

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:16 am

congratulations on your fix, Markb.

sometimes i really think that Spidy18 is a "God sent" angel to the AC distressed....

he saved us all hundreds of $$$ that could have been wasted on unnecessary new Compressors, Condensers, Blenders, etc....

the biggest angel is the Webmaster who provided the forum.....THANK YOU ALL!!!
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:40 am

I think you need to send spidy18 a monetary appreciation for his valuable knowledge.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:34 am

knowitall.......i'm not sure spidy18 would accept such....
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

jaydee427

Post by jaydee427 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:15 pm

tucker wrote:jaydee427
I had the same issue with the drivers side cold air / passengers side cool air problem. I read in an earlier post where someone found that the scroll valve replacement also fixed it. ........I was hoping for the same results after I replaced my scroll valve. And I'm happy to report that it is indeed fixed. Both vents now blow the same temperature.
IGood luck.
Tucker, how did you remove the freon (r134a) from your system? Silly me was thinking that the vacuum pump that I purchased was to be used for that. It turns out the vacuum pump is to be used for removing any air and contaminates from the ac line and refilling it back with freon AFTER the old r134a refrigerant has been removed. I was actually thinking about placing a large plastic bag over the scroll valve or low end pressure line and SLOWLY open the valve (of course when the engine is cold - less psi in the ac lines) so that the freon can slowly evacuate out of the ac lines. Once that was finished, I was going to then use the vacuum pump to suck out all the air, moisture, and contaminants out of the ac lines and recharge it with new freon.

dbgallo

Post by dbgallo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:59 pm

dbgallo wrote:I'm going to be taking a run a replacing the scroll valve next weekend (ordered the valve this week, already have a manifold and I can pick up r-134a at any autoparts store... Same problem everyone else described, little or no ac at idle, decent at speed but not great. Won't post pics since there's much better ones than I could take on the site already,.

Went well, yes the low side outlet is a bit hard to get to, yes the two 10mm bolts are awkward, but most importantly, my AC is now frosty cold....

I used the vacuum pump to make sure everything was good, replaced the valve, pump the system down again and 3 cans of freon later I got the compressor to cycle on and off when on "auto" and the temp set to 60F. More people need to know about this fix.
'05 SEL FWD, Green over Tan, "pebble" interior. 6 passenger seating.

jaydee427

Post by jaydee427 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:15 pm

dbgallo wrote:
dbgallo wrote:I'm going to be taking a run a replacing the scroll valve next weekend (ordered the valve this week, already have a manifold and I can pick up r-134a at any autoparts store... Same problem everyone else described, little or no ac at idle, decent at speed but not great. Won't post pics since there's much better ones than I could take on the site already,.

Went well, yes the low side outlet is a bit hard to get to, yes the two 10mm bolts are awkward, but most importantly, my AC is now frosty cold....

I used the vacuum pump to make sure everything was good, replaced the valve, pump the system down again and 3 cans of freon later I got the compressor to cycle on and off when on "auto" and the temp set to 60F. More people need to know about this fix.
How did you remove the freon before you "used the vacuum pump to make sure everything was good"? Did you let it bleed very slowly by opening a valve / port? Or did you take your Freestyle to a mechanic and let let evacuate the freon before you started to use the vacuum pump?

dbgallo

Post by dbgallo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:18 pm

jaydee427 wrote:
dbgallo wrote:

How did you remove the freon before you "used the vacuum pump to make sure everything was good"? Did you let it bleed very slowly by opening a valve / port? Or did you take your Freestyle to a mechanic and let let evacuate the freon before you started to use the vacuum pump?
I have access to a refrigerant recovery tank.... supposedly R-134a is environmentally safe, but they said that about R-12 30 years ago. I suppose you could vent it thru the low pressure side via the manifold, but I think the leak dyes and oil are nasty to clean up
'05 SEL FWD, Green over Tan, "pebble" interior. 6 passenger seating.

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:50 am

Africa_FS_07 wrote:knowitall.......i'm not sure spidy18 would accept such....
Yes, I'm sure he would so go ahead make a monetary contribution.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:26 am

ok......but let him ask by himself....

Also, recall that the Webmaster implied 'no monies on forum" in the Agreement?

i don't want to breach any laws please!!!

jaydee427

Post by jaydee427 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:49 am

knowitall wrote:I think you need to send spidy18 a monetary appreciation for his valuable knowledge.
What an idiotic suggestion. If we resort to paying each other for our ideas and experiences, then you might as well not call this a forum.

If you really was paying attention to the posts in this forum, jas88 had brought this issue and remedy to light in this forum back in June 2010. Jas88 even blessed us with a more cheaper fix of this problem by introducing us to the "1/2" thick nut behind the valve which presses it in fully, making the compressor work like a normal non-variable type" mod. Which, based on other members experience, is a huge success.

I am not taking anything away from spidy18, as a matter of fact, I bow to him because he actually showed us how to solved the problem (video version was posted on YouTube 4 days later by another individual), rather than just post a suggestion.

But if you feel that strong about sending spidy18 a monetary appreciation gift, then you send the money first and we will follow. Yeah right!!

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:59 am

jaydee427 wrote:What an idiotic suggestion. If we resort to paying each other for our ideas and experiences, then you might as well not call this a forum...
So how do you really feel? :lol:

I'll send spidy18 and Jas88 a donation if I have to change out the scroll valve. How bout them apples? :mrgreen:

Anyway I'm just giving Afro_FS a ribbing. Take a chill pill.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:02 am

jaydee427 wrote:If we resort to paying each other for our ideas and experiences, then you might as well not call this a forum.

But if you feel that strong about sending spidy18 a monetary appreciation gift, then you send the money first and we will follow. Yeah right!!

:lol: you got it "spot on" there!!! :lol:

jaydee427

Post by jaydee427 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:14 am

Africa_FS_07 wrote:
jaydee427 wrote:If we resort to paying each other for our ideas and experiences, then you might as well not call this a forum.

:lol: you got it "spot on" there!!! :lol:
I just took a chill pill, but until it kicks in................Here's a gas / money saving tip. Drive downhill only with no other passengers, engine off, and shifter in "neutral". Guaranteed to get over 500 MPG's. Now, for that great idea, any donations?......lol :lol: