If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Warm a/c while driving in the city [Solved]

knowitall

Re: warm a/c while driving in the city

Post by knowitall » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:39 am

Africa_FS_07 wrote:mr knowitall, how has your Green O Ring and AC fared since the last change?...
It's snowing right now so pester me in about 3 months when the temperature gets above 85 F. :lol:

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:16 pm

thanks mr Knowitall,

Three (3) Months is a very short time for you to post an answer.

Brilliant sir.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

markshan

Post by markshan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:55 am

Add me to the list of people who saved hundreds of dollars by changing that valve. My A/C guy had never heard of this fix, but was game to try. He did all of the work (I ordered the valve for him) for $150 and told me that I get a gold star on my forehead for finding this solution. Pretty cool (pun intended).

Thank you Freestyle Forum!

gmbreen

Post by gmbreen » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:58 am

Hi folks, I had the same AC problem with our 2006 Freestyle Limited about 18 months ago - warm air at slower speeds and colder air at freeway speeds. The colder air at freeway speeds eventually just turned to normal, warmish air about a year ago so we took it in to Ford and Pep Boys and both said we would need a new compressor. My question is, do you think that replacing the scroll valve could work in my case, even though it only blows warmish air at all speeds now?

rematar

Post by rematar » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:04 pm

Did they check if you were low on refrigerant?
No matter what gets fixed - change the scroll valve while they are working on it.
2008 Limited AWD (dark ink blue)
2006 Limited AWD (sold)

gmbreen

Post by gmbreen » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:43 am

rematar wrote:Did they check if you were low on refrigerant?
No matter what gets fixed - change the scroll valve while they are working on it.
I forget if they checked if I was low on refrigerant or not. I want to say they did try to put a test charge into the system at Pep Boys, but I am not sure if it wouldn't hold the charge or if it just wouldn't blow cold air. Would there be any visual signs that I could inspect for on the compressor, itself that might indicate whether I can just evacuate the system, replace the scroll valve, and add freon - or that I would need to replace the compressor?

BTW, this information is so helpful! Thanks for the advice!

rematar

Post by rematar » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:07 pm

I don't know enough about it, but I think if there is a tiny leak (I don't know if there is much to see by eye) the compressor will rarely pick up due to the low pressure.
I suppose they may have seen a sign of leaking around the compressor shaft? I would want some definitive reason before changing the compressor.

The only time I had to change a compressor it seized and smoked the serpentine belt.
I had another car I was told to change the compressor on, but all it needed was a clutch and bearing which I was able to do myself - it had a metallic sound and filings around the clutch.

Good luck. Might not hurt to try and find a specialty automotive HVAC shop.
2008 Limited AWD (dark ink blue)
2006 Limited AWD (sold)

eureb

Post by eureb » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:56 pm

For the people that replaced this valve and it worked.. Was your system low before replacing it and unable to keep a charge? Or was it fully charged, just not blowing cold air?

Mine isn't keeping a charge (stays around 20psi when I check it ), but when I put a can of freon in it to fill it back up the air is cold and I can hear the compressor kick on. It seems like it works for a few hours and then the charge goes too low again....

Just trying to decide if this could be a possibility.

NorseaBlue

Post by NorseaBlue » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:24 am

eureb,

My experience with this issue was just over a year ago. My 2005 Freestyle SEL was no longer blowing cold air at city traffic speeds, and only weakly at highway speeds. From reading this thread, I became convinced that the problem was a worn scroll valve, so I ordered a new one by ordering the kit from Tech Choice Parts. When the kit arrived, I took my Freestyle to a local shop to have it's refrigerant removed.. and that's when I discovered that the system only had 4 oz. of refrigerant in it! (I don't recall what the pressures were.) Since I have rear-air, my system was supposed to have 2lbs 6oz. In other words.. I was basically out of R134a, and there may not have been anything wrong with the original scroll valve to begin with. But since I had a new one in my hands anyway, I went ahead and replaced the valve, and then returned to the shop to have the system re-charged to it's full capacity. A/C then blew cold air like it did when it was brand-new. Now.. 13 months later, I notice that the air isn't quite as cold as a year ago, and I suspect that I'm now getting low on refrigerant again. Bottom line is that I think my Freestyle simply has a slow leak in it's a/c system, and that there was never a problem with my original scroll valve to begin with.

So before buying and changing out the valve, have a professional shop do a pressure check on the system. From the sound of things, you may simply be low on R134a, the result of slow leakage which isn't unusual in vehicles that are eight to ten years old. My 2 cents on this.
'05 SEL Norsea Blue/Shale Leather
Frt. Row Comfort/Aux Climate/50/50 3rd row

noonespecial

Post by noonespecial » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:08 pm

Hi, after reading through this thread I'd like to compare some notes.
The general description of symptoms seems to be "warm at idle / stopped / slow speeds, but cold(er) at higher RPM's / highway speeds". Can anyone provide a little more detail? Does it tend to gradually degrade or happen more suddenly? Is it mostly engine RPM dependent or vehicle speed dependent? Does it seem to be consistent or intermittent? Also, has anyone noticed any change in the system's sounds, like a noisy compressor?
I appreciate any added input to help define the 'typical' occurrence of this failure. Thanks

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:15 am

Until you read the high and low pressures on your A/C system using a manifold gauge set it is difficult to accurately diagnose the problem. Also use a thermometer in the A/C vent for additional reading. A/C on max high should read 43-45 deg F at the vent.

Personally if my Freestyle was close to 100,000 miles I would probably just change it.

noonespecial

Post by noonespecial » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:53 am

I think you missed the point of my question. I am not trying to diagnose my system, but just get a clearer picture of what real-world symptoms are associated with the scroll valve failure specifically.
Anyone have some further input on that?

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:18 pm

noonespecial wrote:I think you missed the point of my question. I am not trying to diagnose my system, but just get a clearer picture of what real-world symptoms are associated with the scroll valve failure specifically.
Anyone have some further input on that?
I understood your question perfectly chief. :P

My point was and still is that to accurately diagnose a/c problems it is good to know the high and low pressures while the A/C is on. Just knowing a few symptoms may not solve the issue. It's like Africa_FS_07 quoting scripture. :lol:

Onetear

Post by Onetear » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:50 pm

I did it!!! :)
The first shop told me $1033 + tax for a new compressor. The second shop wanted even more, about $1200. So I found this side, ordered the scroll valve, and a new drier, and went to a shop we had used for 15 years before we moved. There they told me "Never heard of this valve. Sorry can't put it in."
I was so shocked and ticked off, so I told them to evacuate the system for me, "I will do the repair myself!". They just smiled, but on Monday I will go there and rub it in!!! :)
If I can do this (woman, 46, bad arthritis in my hands and can't hold tools too well anymore), then anybody can :)
I had a hard time with the screws, but in the end I got them open.
I got a new drier too since to me it was just logical that something must be wrong there too or the scroll valve would have never get plugged up. And after everything was installed I cleaned the coils, since after all, I'm a homemaker I clean 80% of the day. I even took a toothpick to carefully pick little rocks out of the coils ;)
Since my old "trusted" shop gave me a no go on installing the scroll valve, I got mad enough that I ordered a cheap vacuum pump and manifold on Amazon, and of course the freon and some oil. I added 2 oz if oil to the drier before I installed it. And after the vacuum pump did its job I refilled the system. This was the only step where hubby helped some too. But in the end we figured: to fill we need 2 lb 6 oz, of which 9 oz should be oil, that would be about 2 big bottles and a bit.
Sure enough, after filling 36 oz nice and slow, the low side was at 35, high side at 190, and the air blew at 38 F :)
Sure I spent some money on the pump and the manifold, but with everything I learned in the past 1.5 weeks do you think I will ever spent another penny at a shop to fill up my car with freon... Heck No! They quoted me $179 to recharge the system on the Freestyle. And last year I paid $110 to have my 95 Contour recharged. It has a super slow leak, and was empty after 8 months. They can not find the leak, and told me it must be the compressor, and it would be over $1000. Tomorrow I will charge that car too, but add some leak stop. Something the shop also didn't tell me existed!
I could have never done it without you guys here! :) The pictures were especially helpful.
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH TO ALL OF YOU who were posting questions and answers, since reading all of it helped me to understand but by bit, and what I didn't understand I Googled or watched videos on YouTube to learn more. Again, Thank You! :)

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:03 am