If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Warm a/c while driving in the city [Solved]

freeforever

Re: warm a/c while driving in the city

Post by freeforever » Mon May 12, 2014 5:48 pm

I was able to order the compressor control vlv. from my Ford Dealer but it doesn't look like the one Spidy took pictures of. My has a hex shaped body instead of being round and vlv fitting on both ends. Any thoughts?

NorseaBlue

Post by NorseaBlue » Tue May 13, 2014 11:24 am

freeforever,

Hard to say without a photo of it. You might want to double-check with your dealer to make sure it's the correct part. Does it at least have an o-ring on it?

How much was it, btw?
'05 SEL Norsea Blue/Shale Leather
Frt. Row Comfort/Aux Climate/50/50 3rd row

freeforever

Post by freeforever » Tue May 13, 2014 2:17 pm

The one for from the Ford Dealer was only 19 dollars. I went ahead and ordered the one from the forum so I'll have both when the shop changes it out. Could not find the other one on any of the website parts .

NorseaBlue

Post by NorseaBlue » Fri May 16, 2014 4:09 pm

I'm doing the control valve replacement with the parts from Tech Choice parts in Midlothian, TX. When the shop was performing the Evacuation of the system for me, the tech told me that there had only been 4 oz. in the system to evacuate. (Extremely low level) This was in a Freestyle with rear a/c, so total capacity is 2 lbs. 6oz. He then suggested that the existing control valve was probably ok, and that my warm air problems were simply due to almost no refrigerant in the system.

Has anyone else discovered they had such a low level of R134A in their system when they were performing this control valve change-out procedure?

piratepress

Post by piratepress » Fri May 16, 2014 5:29 pm

A low level was not the case for me last year when I changed out my scroll valve. I only had to add around 4 oz so a leak was not the problem. However, in replacing the valve, it seems maybe the seal is leaking now and that is why that it is running warm again.
2006 Freestyle SE FWD [SOLD] 3-22-06 to 2-3-15
Ford Freestyle Helicopter Club Ex-Presidente

dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 » Sun May 18, 2014 1:20 pm

piratepress wrote:A low level was not the case for me last year when I changed out my scroll valve. I only had to add around 4 oz so a leak was not the problem. However, in replacing the valve, it seems maybe the seal is leaking now and that is why that it is running warm again.
I thought you had to evacuate the system to change the valve?

piratepress

Post by piratepress » Sun May 18, 2014 1:46 pm

Sorry, I meant that it had only lost 4 oz (it still had 2.0+ in the system) so it did not have a severe leak prior to replacing the scroll valve. However, the seal that comes with the replacement scroll valve has been known to dry out and leak and I think that is the problem now.

scudrunner

Post by scudrunner » Sun May 18, 2014 7:23 pm

I just replaced the scroll valve and recharged according to the ac label with 1lb-13 oz. and it runs cool while moving but not at idle. I don't have any rear air but do have dual controls for driver and passenger but that's not considered "rear" air is it?

At idle I am getting 65lbs on low side and 125Lbs on high side. and at 1000rpm its 55/135. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ps when turning on the air it sounds like a little clicking noise from the ac compressor but now I'm wondering if it's the blend door as described in the data base here so I'll check that too. This site has been extremely helpful and thank you all for your input.

NorseaBlue

Post by NorseaBlue » Sun May 18, 2014 8:01 pm

Well.. using the parts kit from Tech Choice, I replaced the control valve, it's spring, and the funny shaped turquoise gasket. But I couldn't get the old plastic screen out. In fact, I accidently pushed the old one about an eighth of an inch inwards, where it remained. My question is.. does that matter? Will that plastic screen assembly pop back out towards the cover plate when the system pressurizes.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-IGDd ... C_0630.JPG

piratepress

Post by piratepress » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:10 pm

Looks like my scroll valve fix lasted twelve months. My mechanic said the compressor is going out and not pumping the coolant like it should. Anyone have a good recommendation for the cheapest price on an OEM Ford compressor?

piratepress

Post by piratepress » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:40 am

Nevemind, I found a new Motorcraft YCC171 compressor for $350 so I just ordered it.

ssforcey

Post by ssforcey » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:45 am

#1 So I rec'd my valve, had a mechanic drain the freon. After he drained it he said that I will need to come back after I change the valve and pull vacuum before I put the freon in. Is this true? After everything I've read and seen on here I haven't seen anyone say anything about doing anything in between changing out the valve and putting in the freon.

#2Also, what is the thing I'm holding in picture? Am I supposed to do something with it? AND I've seen one picture with the green "thingy" used...am I supposed to do something with that?

#3 What is this part going to do that the other one couldn't when they look EXACTLY the same?

Thank you for everything! :)

Image[/b][/color][/color][/color][/color]

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:21 pm

well, at the Third try, i finally received the NEW Green O'Ring yesterday, looks exactly like the ones in the thread in terms of fullness.

so, today i took out the one in the Compressor, and what (???), it was shrunk - thin, much smaller in "girth" than the new one.

very easy to see why i had been losing Freon.

again, i needed to take out the Radiator Fan to reach the 2 Bolts and Plate behind the Scroll Valve Housing.

i put in the new O'Ring and she fits snugly in there but very much fatter in Girth than its deposed relation.

put everything back, fill the System with Oil and Freon and the AC is back to BRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

now, for how long will i enjoy this, O Freestyle?

i'll post the Picture of the deposed O'Ring tomorrow.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Jetread

Post by Jetread » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:30 am

Fixed my problem as well had the dealership stumped. I saw this and sent them the info and it works perfect.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:56 am

knowitall wrote:I replaced my scroll valve today. I am running the vacuum pump on both high and low side to remove any possible moisture from the lines.
One thing I didn't read (or missed) is that there is a green o-ring that comes with the scroll valve that fits in a groove in the scroll valve housing. I'm assuming everyone else received this o-ring?
Also I added a wee bit of loc-tite to the two bolts that hold the scroll valve housing cover plate. I found the bolts to be a tad bit loose when I went to take them off.

Anywho, I will update once I charge the system with R134a.
mr knowitall,

how has your Green O Ring and AC fared since the last change?

trying to compare performance wiith mine here.

stay on the topic.

Danke.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen: